• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anglicanotaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Let's see: From my personal collection of discs: "Amagami SS", to be followed by "Vampire Knight", "Eureka 7", "Kanon" (2006)and a pile of stuff representing two years worth of anime conventions, and just finished "Wagnaria".

On Netflix the Korean adaptation of "Hana Yori Dango" and revisiting "Fruits Basket" (and its a pity that Netflix or Funi (maybe) cuts off the OP sequence cause that's one of my most favorite parts, and that most of the anime streamed on Netflix is dub-only.

From other assorted, occasionall sordid sources: "Kamisami Dolls", "Ano Natsu de Matteru", and revisiting "Kimi ga Nozomo Eien: Next Season"
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And no, I'm not joking; it was really bugging me that I seemed to be the only one who wasn't rooting for the mass murdering, sociopathic parasites.

Were my posts on the subject invisible or something? Confused
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe you get so frustrated about Shiki discussions, dtm42, because this is the attitude you approach them with:

dtm42 wrote:
Finally someone who isn't a complete retard. I get so sick and bloody tired of morons spouting nonsense, so it is awesome to see someone with an actual brain and a human heart.

I'm not going to go into it here, it's been discussed at great length elsewhere... But you're so dismissive of any contradictory opinion of the show (key word being opinion) that not only do you put people on the immediate offensive, you also cheapen your own views by being so openly driven by spite.

If you were more creative about hiding your disdain then I'd be interested in what you had to say on the topic. As it is, from your behaviour here, and in the relevant threads, I just don't care what you think about Shiki anymore. Your brand of trolling is the worst kind: The troll who believes what he's saying is justified. How is openly insulting people who think differently from you in any way constructive?
Otishio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching Lucky Star but I couldn't watch it since of the chibi animation style. It just annoyed me. So right now I'm watching Skip Beat since my friend suggested it. Yup yup.
Botan24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Botan24 wrote:
The second roadblock to my overall viewing experience was the soundtrack, especially that insert songspoiler[ when the Ziggurat is being destroyed]. I laughed, I admit it.

Your reactions, and indeed the judgements you have subsequently passed regarding the film, are most antithetical to my own. Certain critics of this work are keen to wield the charge that it is unoriginal in some respects, and yet when presented with the manners in which it is a stylistically original piece within its genre, the same persons might dismiss such features as immature. One can but wonder whether Kaiba would be received in a similar manner.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Smile I will say that artistically, Metropolis is pretty unique. I still don't care for that style, but, at the very least I can appreciate it.

Surrender Artist wrote:
I found some pleasure in watching Metropolis, but it was mostly for its excellent backgrounds and very good animation. My feelings about it are mostly lukewarm. The story wasn't really impressive, but I could go along with it. I actually did buy into the finale, but perhaps my thorough indoctrination by Doctor Strangelove or How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb explains that. I really loved its score; it's too rare to hear dixieland and I though that Metropolis had excellent song, although one or two were awkwardly placed.

I did enjoy some of the musical arrangements, but those insert songs were awkward. Like I said to Zin5ki, Metropolis is unique in an artistic capacity. Story wise? I don't see it. And for me, if the plot and characters don't strike me, then I find it hard to become involved.
Hmm...I've never seen Dr. Strangelove, so I don't get that reference. Embarassed
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
How is openly insulting people who think differently from you in any way constructive?

When someone posseses an opinion that is so disgusting that it offends me as a human being*, you do really think I'm going to serenade them with chocolates and roses? Translation; am I really going to care about their feelings when they offend me so? How about they be constructive and cut it out with the morally bankrupt BS?

Plus it may their opinion that the villagers were as bad as the shiki, but that opinion is wrong*. The series never supports the view that the humans are to blame, in fact it does the opposite. See spoiler[the old liquor store owner's speech to Sunako late in the show.] See how spoiler[the nurse proved that the desire to feed is not absolute, therefore putting the onus on the shiki to take responsibility for controlling their desires.] And tell me; who spoiler[among the villagers kidnapped children and used them as food to give to newly-born shiki, which has to the most heinuous crime in the entire show? Not one of them.] The difference in moral standing between the humans and shiki are like night and day.

Is there anything else you'd like to say?

I'm being 100% serious.

Yes, opinions are often wrong (and believing that truth cannot come into the equation is actually a factually incorrect opinion in itself). Look at the Birther movement; their opinions were no less incorrect just because they held them.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Is there anything else you'd like to say?

Nope, I think I made it clear I feel your post was disrespectful and unwarranted. I'm not even touching the Shiki discussion with a bargepole. It's a shame, since you're an interesting guy when you're not being a total jerk.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
It's a shame, since you're an interesting guy when you're not being a total jerk.

You say "jerk", I say "filled with righteous anger that people would defend such morally reprehensible and unambiguously evil beings". If you honestly can't see that, then I'll agree we have nothing more to discuss.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
And if you honestly can't see that calling people retards simply for having a differing opinion is behaviour befitting of a jerk, then I'll agree we have nothing more to discuss. Having a different take on Shiki does not make one devoid of all human worth, you seem to be having trouble grasping that.

We're done here.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Translation; am I really going to care about their feelings when they offend me so? How about they be constructive and cut it out with the morally bankrupt BS?

I don't know if it follows that anyone who disagrees with you here is morally bankrupt. I mean, I genuinely don't know. I haven't seen much of Shiki yet. It seems to me though that while their interpretation may be poorly thought out or otherwise erroneous, you can't really say they're morally bankrupt. They may simply not be arriving at the same conclusions as you in terms of the implications of what they're saying. Maybe that makes them wrong and if so I can certainly understand where you might find their foolish opinions irritating. I don't know that you should find it morally offensive though.

I'm just throwing that out there.

dirkusbirkus wrote:
And if you honestly can't see that calling people retards simply for having a differing opinion is behaviour befitting of a jerk, then I'll agree we have nothing more to discuss.

If you think dtm is being needlessly rude in this specific instance then you might be right. I don't know. What you're saying here however is incorrect at least as a universal rule. It's perfectly reasonable in many cases to despise someone because of their opinions. Generally, this won't be the case when it comes to something as petty as TV shows but it can certainly enter into the equation. If I understand what dtm is saying here, he finds Shiki, or at least this interpretation of Shiki and the implications stemming there from, to be deeply morally offensive. You might not agree with him about that but it's certainly a case where one would be justified in despising people for holding such opinions.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I was one of the people who unreservedly rooted for the humans versus the Shiki. In fact, I got impatient with the show because it took so long for the humans to strike back. Nonetheless, dtm42's "retard" remark is blatant trolling. I've reported his post, so we'll see if a mod actually does anything to it. If not, I'll have to assume we are free to call anybody who disagrees with our opinions a retard with impunity. Rolling Eyes

In any case, in my opinion, Shiki was clear in portraying the Shiki as evil, however, they did layer some complexity in. There were some humans who tried to be good and succeeded. There were some humans who tried to be good and failed. There were some humans who never bothered trying to be good. There were some Shikis who tried to be good and failed. The show was never designed to be black and white and only a complete odious bonehead would fail to recognize that.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Nonetheless, dtm42's "retard" remark is blatant trolling

Blood- wrote:
only a complete odious bonehead would fail to recognize that.

Really man? This doesn't seem just a wee bit hypocritical? Confused
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If not, I'll have to assume we are free to call anybody who disagrees with our opinions a retard with impunity. Rolling Eyes

Says the guy who wasn't punished at all when he likened me to a mad Chihuahua, and who has said on more than one occasion that he is bloody lucky not to have been banned yet.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Could you jackanapes please take this somewhere else? Some of you You seem to actively really not like one another with no likelihood of that ever changing. We've all pretty well seen this show before, so you might as well spare the rest of us the spectacle.

Botan24 wrote:
I did enjoy some of the musical arrangements, but those insert songs were awkward. Like I said to Zin5ki, Metropolis is unique in an artistic capacity. Story wise? I don't see it. And for me, if the plot and characters don't strike me, then I find it hard to become involved.

I guess it worked a little for me because I respond to older detective types and I'm a sucker for android partner archetypes, although those characters got pushed aside in favor of the damned kids, so that limits my enjoyment of the film. I did admire Rock some, but just for how the film so effortlessly and effectively made me not like him. I don't know if that was the intent, but it worked out for me.

Botan24 wrote:
Hmm...I've never seen Dr. Strangelove, so I don't get that reference. Embarassed

It's not really a reference so much as a broadly similar style of finale, although Kubrick went out far more nihilistically than Rintaro. You can doubtless find video of the finale on the internet, but it's well worth waiting to see it in the context of the film, which I recommend past the highest heavens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I'm not sure if ADV's secondary Monster Island ever quite learned that lesson. That's not to say all their output is bad; they did do better with shows like Nadia, Eden's Bowy, and Final Fantasy Unlimited where there weren't as many Japanese character names to mangle.
Oh man, I always thought Nadia was bad. That horrible french accent they gave Jean was the sole reason I switched from dub to sub halfway through the first ep.

I personally love the Nadia dub. Yes, the accents are iffy at times, but what ultimately made up for that flaw were the liveliness and enthusiasm the VAs had for their roles. (I also thought it made sense to do the accents; after all this is a series set in Europe; giving the characters neutral accents would have actually been an even bigger mistake.) The children were perfectly cast, as were the Grandis gang and the Nautilus crew—they all did outstanding jobs and really nailed all the emotions. It's one of my personal favorite dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 661 of 1062