• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Dororo, Offers Samurai Pizza Cats on SD Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:
Will the SD Blu-ray be 23.976fps or telecined 29.97fps?

They could at least detelecine it make sure it's a progressive SD video.

In the ANNCast where Zac interviews Justin about Blu-ray authoring, Justin mentioned that Blu-ray does not support progressive SD video.

Really? I swear I've seen 480p extras on Blu-Rays before...
Edit: I've just read what you said somewhere else as well...

Does the Blu-Ray spec support anamorphic SD content? Because I know HD isn't anamorphic and I'm wondering how old shows in 4x3 will be displayed...
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
Shame that Anime Sols didn't get to release Dororo, but it's good that Discotek licensed it. I'll definitely be buying that one when it comes out.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:

Does the Blu-Ray spec support anamorphic SD content? Because I know HD isn't anamorphic and I'm wondering how old shows in 4x3 will be displayed...
Pillarboxed, I'd imagine.
Doraemon365

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:

Pillarboxed, I'd imagine.

Actually bluray does support SD 4:3 and 16:9 ratios without the need for pillar boxing.

Its only 720p and 1080p that requires pillarboxing for content that is originally 4:3.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
I HAVE to get Dororo, I've been wanting to watch that for years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:43 am Reply with quote
Why yes, Discotek, you CAN have more of my money! This is why Discotek gets 80% of my anime money these days (that's right, Funi and Sentai, this is why I don't buy series from you, except I do plan to buy Space Bros. The other 20% is miscellaneous and Nozomi)
Felis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
Will a Blu-ray player upscale 480i or 480p SD content to 1080p that is on a Blu-ray? I was always under the impression that SD content on a Blu-ray isn't upscaled and is shown at whatever resolution it is in. If that is the case, I would rather just get the DVD's so my player can upscale them to 1080p. SD content on my TV looks like crap when it isn't upscaled to 1080p.

EDIT: I saw this on the Blu-ray forums which pretty much answers my question:
Quote:
A Blu-ray disc is simply a physical medium.

A Blu-ray video disc must present content in certain standards to work.
For video codec: MPEG2/VC-1/AVC (8-bit h264 in High Profile), and audio (Dobly Digital, PCM, and other specific formats).

The BD video standard support many different resolutions, not all HD.

But keep in mind many blu-ray players are outputting to the display device (TV/Projector) at a fixed resolution (1280x720 or 1920x1080 normally). Yes, I know someone here has their player set to send source resolution, thanku.

So content that does not meet the resolution of the display device will, of course, have to be upscaled or downscaled by the player prior to being sent to the TV set. Otherwise you will wind up with a small picture in the middle of your TV or only being able to see a part (upper left quadrant or exact center) of the image.

So apparently I wasn't the only one wondering if SD content on Blu-ray would be upscaled by the player, since they had a conversation over there about it. Personally I have no interest in supporting these SD-BD releases regardless of whatever little benefits they offer. If a show isn't in HD, I'd rather just get it on DVD so I can play it in whatever room I want in my home (I only have 1 Blu-ray player, but I have DVD players in every other room.)

Last edited by Felis on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
I wish Discotek would release these as region free, all their titles are not available in the UK and it would great to get a hold of Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
Discotek is certainly appeasing to some of the niche/old school fans with series like this.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
Wow, did not expect Discotek to license and old B&W series. Considering that Anime Sols had kickstarted this for streaming. And now they're dying off. Well, this is good news. And now they're offering BD, well this is enough to make BD enthusiasts squeal. Surprised
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Well, this is good news. And now they're offering BD, well this is enough to make BD enthusiasts squeal.

Unless the series are actually in HD with new transfers, it won't. It's just about the disc, it's about the video quality the disc allows you to have.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Now, if Discotek would only do the same for their subbed Kyatto Ninden Teyande collection, without the horrendous 90's improv-dub.
Yes, we know you're curious/nostalgic about the dub, but history isn't worth it.

Horrendous? Are you freaking kidding me? That improv dub is still one of the best things ever. It's not a nostalgia thing at all. Not many kids shows I know that threw words like pinko and fascist around, making mild innuendos and painting absurd surrealism; and this considering Saban of all companies made up the improv script, who were normally known for making everything overly kid-friendly. History is totally worth it when it comes to Samurai Pizza Cats.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Chrno: The only reason Discotek picked Dororo up is because it's got a fanbase through the video game and manga. So don't expect more TezukaPro acquisitions of that nature, unless that thing does exceptionally well. 'Cus everything else on that site which wasn't Black Jack failed.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Discotek recently said it costs about five times more to produce a bluray, as opposed to a DVD. So it they cut it down from 5 or 6 discs, down to one, then it should cost about the same, it not a bit less. If you factor in the savings from packaging, shipping, etc, they should come out a bit ahead.

Cool, thanks for the info.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Are we absolutely sure yet that the Samurai set is sub/dub? The description distinguishes itself from an "earlier dub-only version", but thought the two separate Discotek DVD editions were due to the SPC cut having a different OP and cut from the original, like Cardcaptors vs. CCS.

It would be nice to get a dual-language version, as I'm still holding off on that 8-disk KNT DVD set, but I'm not buying it just for the Made-Up-Crap version. Wink

Last edited by EricJ2 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3