• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Anime Gets Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Blood-: I apologize. I thought that this show was just the next amalgamation of Haganai/Oreshura/SNAFU/Nisekoi. I'll admit to knowing very little about it as harem anime are not my cup of tea. Good for the fans for supporting this show and hopefully the sequel will be even more enjoyable for its fans.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Yes time for more sexy leg action
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
I'm tired of defending this anime. The moment I explain to someone just how smart it was in its execution and how it ultimately ended up being a satire of several harem tropes, two other people start throwing stones at it for being "more harem trash".

It's still a harem, it still has fanservice, but one has got to be extremely shallow as a viewer if they are going to judge something SOLELY for its genre.

Which is why I'll stop defending and simply enjoy the bliss of having a 2nd season.
chito895

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
This was my favourite one of all the new anime of the winter season. Loved the comedy and the comments on the harem genre. I want to know more about Katou and Michiru, as sh's been there more for the fan-service (although it was more satire) than for the music/story of the game/show.

But the format... A new series would be the best choice (more episodes please), but If it's a movie or OVA, I hope we can watch those on Crunchyroll as well.

Have the LN's of Saekano been licensed?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Possible formats: TV show, movie, OVA, ONA, or any combination of the aforementioned.

It hasn't been announced whether or not A-1 Pictures will return, just that a sequel entry has been green-lit, or am I missing something?

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun May 03, 2015 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This show was great. Very happy to see a 2nd season in the works. Love it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm tired of defending this anime. The moment I explain to someone just how smart it was in its execution and how it ultimately ended up being a satire of several harem tropes, two other people start throwing stones at it for being "more harem trash".

I don't think it was trash, but I personally didn't find it as clever or innovative as much of its fanbase. People frequently insist that this show is a parody of harem series - and this may be true - but I honestly didn't get that impression. Maybe I wasn't watching closely enough, but the only parodic elements I was able to pinpoint were in episode zero - in which the characters engaged in stereotypical harem tropes while acknowledging they were doing so. While this may technically constitute parody, I thought it was lazy parody at best.

That said, I didn't hate the show. Although I personally didn't like him much, I thought Tomoya was a step up from the typical harem protagonist. I also found the overarching game development plot to be fairly interesting, even though the character interactions gave way to frequent groans and eye-rolls. Still, if Saekano was indeed intended as satire, I feel that it failed in that regard. However, since I'm clearly in the minority on this one, there may be deeper satirical elements I simply wasn't seeing.
IceKirby

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
More Megumi is always a good thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
People frequently insist that this show is a parody of harem series - and this may be true - but I honestly didn't get that impression. Maybe I wasn't watching closely enough, but the only parodic elements I was able to pinpoint were in episode zero - in which the characters engaged in stereotypical harem tropes while acknowledging they were doing so. While this may technically constitute parody, I thought it was lazy parody at best.

Episode 0, imo, was the weakest one of the lot and I almost didn't go past it. Not quite sure how you missed the satire in the rest of the series because it was pretty blatant. One of the cornerstones of the show's humour depended on viewers having an understanding of what the traits of a typical harem heroine are, how wide of the mark Megumi was from those traits, the awareness of the characters in the show to this, Tomoyo's attempts to guide Megumi toward main heroine-ness and her reaction to those attempts.

Now if you didn't find stuff like that clever or funny, that's fair enough. That's a subjective reaction to a subjective element (comedy). But not recognizing what the show was doing is a little ... odd.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
More Megumi Kato A.K.A. Best Girl?

HALLELUJAH! Very Happy
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One of the cornerstones of the show's humour depended on viewers having an understanding of what the traits of a typical harem heroine are, how wide of the mark Megumi was from those traits, the awareness of the characters in the show to this, Tomoyo's attempts to guide Megumi toward main heroine-ness and her reaction to those attempts.

If Tomoya's interactions with Megumi constituted the bulk of the series, I could get on board with classifying this show as a parody (sort of). However, despite being the titular character, Megumi was often overlooked in favor of Eri and Utaha, characters who could have been plucked from virtually any harem anime. (Or is the fact that Megumi was all but absent from many episodes one of those ingenious satirical elements that went right over my head?) At the end of the day, the show embraced commonplace harem tropes more than it poked fun at them, making it impossible for me to view it as a send-up of the genre.

Quote:
But not recognizing what the show was doing is a little ... dense.

Fair enough. And calling my intelligence into question because I disagree with you over a cartoon is a little... crappy.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
At the end of the day, the show embraced commonplace harem tropes more than it poked fun at them, making it impossible for me to view it as a send-up of the genre.

I can see where you're coming from. I think this show has many satirical elements, some pretty obvious (such as a lengthy discussion about the "guy walks into a girl taking a bath" trope just before the very same trope is put into effect), and thus it's in part a satire, but the show isn't entirely a satire; by the end of the day, it's still a harem show, not even getting close to being a deconstruction of the genre like I've heard some of the most avid fans claim. (People seem to throw around that term very easily these days...)

Personally, I enjoyed the show because of the satirical humor, but also because it took its characters more seriously than most harem shows do: I didn't feel that the girls existed for the sole purpose of being in love with the MC, their relationship with the MC is explored in depth, and we can even get a grasp of what each of them thinks of each other, a place where many harem shows don't really dare to enter.

In other words, I don't see it as a "ha, let's make fun of harem tropes!" but a "hey, maybe we can also do things this way without losing the appeal of a harem story" type of show.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It was my favorite show last season, in a season which had a lot of competition, but I didn't see it as a satire, either. It's aware, and builds heavily on a solid understanding of harem tropes, but I don't think "satire" is the right description. It explores the harem rules, but not in a mean-spirited or even critical way. Instead, it aims to pull real storytelling and genuine character development out of that context, where most shows don't bother.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Now, the question is if they plan on releasing it this year or next year.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Not too surprising. The creators seem to have known what they were doing and hit all the right harem LN adaptation notes to reel the otaku in.

That's a pretty trite analysis of the show's appeal. If all the show did was hit all the right harem notes, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much - or even at all since I'm pretty tired of straight up harems. It was the humour that resulted from subverting the usual harem notes that made the show fun. Yeah, there is a certain amount of having your cake and eating it too going on but you'd have to be fairly uncharitable not to recognize where it deliberately strays from "the usual harem notes."

Also not too surprising: the source light novel's author also did the screenplay for the anime… Wink

While I'm not terribly deep into the episodic count yet, Maruto's involvement has indeed been a positive, as the writing feels more natural and "true" to the story that is being told spoiler[(naturally)]. I wasn't completely sure that it would get a sequel, despite good sales, but given how much noitaminA and A-1 Pictures/Aniplex seemed to be have been enthused about the series beforehand, I guess it is only the logical step (also, one less "new" show for noitaminA to worry about producing. They have enough on their plate already…).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4