• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Monster Musume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
Riptor wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
@Banken

If you look at it, Centorea, or any centaur, is composed of a human body minus the legs superimposed on a horse body minus the head. She therefore has two complete sets of everything except the horse's legs and the human head. This obviously involves two sets of reproductive organs. I expect the baby location depends on just where you "approach" her.

I'm still trying to figure how she gets enough oxygen and food into her to support the horse body.

Thinking about the anatomy of any of these monster girls will likely result in a headache.

Well they've shown the front of her human half naked in the manga and there's nothing there( in fact the only reason she covers that area up is because it looks embarrassing. Centaurs only have the sexual organs of a horse. That said you can't really tell if a horse is pregnant if you don't show it's whole body so I'm guessing the bump was just so readers would pick up on it and not have it take up a whole panel.

I kind of figured it was that, or having a human baby bump just happens to be part of her fantasy...
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Welp, the novelty of seeing monster girls has finally worn off. I think this episode is a good jumping-off place.

I'm pretty surprised I made it this far. Though, it helped that I didn't actually start watching until episode 5. Now that I'm used to its "Hook" it's pretty tiresome.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with the review quite a bit. I thought this episode was just as funny and fun as the ones that came before, and the fanservice really wasn't any more shameless than previously. On the character development front, no, there really wasn't any major change, but does there have to be every episode, especially in a show like this? I'd give it about a B or a B+.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
I know we're already about two weeks from episode 9 now, but since no one's mentioned here…. did anyone else here (including the reviewer) notice that this MGS-reference-filled episode premiered the same day that Metal Gear Solid V was released? Either this was somehow vaguely planned out in advance, or just an extremely timely coincidence.

Anyway…. still having some awful, shame-on-me type-of-fun here. Surprised how much it was able to get away with in its "censored" form in episode 10 through the first half. Looking forward to seeing even more interaction/integration of the Mon Squad in episode 11; they've been a fun bunch so far. To anyone deciding to drop out now… well, there are only etwo more episodes left (with a second season a complete unknown for now), so I don't see any harm in going ahead and just finishing the whole thing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
I know we're already about two weeks from episode 9 now, but since no one's mentioned here…. did anyone else here (including the reviewer) notice that this MGS-reference-filled episode premiered the same day that Metal Gear Solid V was released? Either this was somehow vaguely planned out in advance, or just an extremely timely coincidence.

I was in the source material as well
Poodicus1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
The creator of the series is a huge fan of the Metal Gear Solid series, so there's a ton of references to it in the manga.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I'm aware there were MGS references before this episode, which were then earlier already established in the manga. (In fact, I remember feeling a bit disappointed that the anime didn't make the reference more explicit-- for instance, IIRC, Miia didn't wear an eyepatch while in Big Boss's green uniform.)

This is probably the funniest and most thorough MGS parody I've seen anywhere in anime or manga, though. Easily the best part of what's an "eh" anime (Imocho) at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
K-Anime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Great!! Love the whole series. One of my newer favorite Harem series in recent years. Hopefully there will be another season by 2017 or an OVA in between then. Well, gonna wait until February to re-watch & marathon the uncensored version.

Last final episode went full force with those facial expressions. Seeing Mero wanting some of Darling's love nectar to leave a legacy behind. And at the end Darling had enough of Ms Smith carelessness, Lol. It's kinda bittersweet to move out to fall 2015 season, I didn't want it to end, I wanted more. The series leaves room for more future Seasons/OVAs.

Last edited by K-Anime on Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
to anyone who enjoyed the anime, just go ahead and read the manga, the anime is more or less a direct representation of the manga (just with no detailed upper body nudity). It would be nice to see another season but honestly, as a fan of the series, you'll probably enjoy the manga better. It cuts out a lot of the time filler elements and just sticks to the fun and punchlines without trying to drag out a manga chapter that can be read in 2 minutes into a 20 minute episode.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I loved this final episode. I honestly don't even care that it didn't even really conclude things in a traditional manner, it was way too much fun. It was basically like the rest of the show, but at its best.
Overall, every episode was consistently entertaining and it was one of the shows this season I looked forward to most. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm happy with what I got, so here's hoping for season 2.
Also, you can tell they saved quite a bit of the budget for this episode. It was surprising, but not unwelcome.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I actuallly think that something mundane is very apropiate for ending a series called "everyday life", even if this episode wasnt really a conclusion I think it did have many of the greatest gags of the whole series
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
This is about where I expected it to end (though there was a chapter skipped where the girls and Kimihito go to a specially-designed gym for extra-species). Fittingly, this is also where another arc is just around the corner dealing with that whole marriage thing brought up after Cerea's addition to the harem.

I'm shocked they were able to get away with as much as they did what with not shying away from the legitimate sexual element instead of the usual chaste status quo of most harem series, plus the whole idea that these are women of legitimately different races makes for an interesting angle of interracial relationships with a smattering of how cross-cultural exchange is very tense and difficult with prejudice along the way. Plus it also makes harems even wackier as lamia, harpies, and centaurs are just BEGGING for gags that humans just can't do.

All in all, it's been fun seeing the characters animated and shows the monster girl obsession that started on Pixiv can in fact hold up with narrative as long as the writing is entertaining, though admittedly Monster Musume is more about goofiness with a smattering of social commentary when need be.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see a second season too, though I have been a little worried how the writers could possibly pull off a marriage story line as the opener suggests without getting incredibly awkward with all the girls wanting him. I was sort of glad they never got into that, despite some fantasy sequences, which kept the mood light and fun.
Enner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
Perhaps this sentiment is born out of years of bad endings or sudden stops of anime series, but ending an episodic rom-com booby show on a soft and mundane note isn't at all a disappointment for me. Especially when the studio brings out the extra spice in the animation.

Really enjoyed this series. it owned up to its premise and made it so much fun.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
The reviewer might've wanted a more climactic ending, but personally, I like it better when slice of life shows gives its characters the chance to wind down a bit before it ends, so honestly, I couldn't be happier with their choice of rounding-off material. You know, give the poor dude a chance to not having his life being in mortal peril for a bit and just enjoying some time out with (some of) the girls, and also let the girls show some more sides to themselves than the "I wanna be the main love interest to Mr. Dude".

Not that I mind Paul having his opinion on the subject, mind you, but here is my own opinion on that particular part.

Edit: And I apparently share it with a lot of people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8