• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Livers, One Piece Fans Butt Heads Over Eiichiro Oda Comment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Whoever wins, it's their parents that are the real losers.
Really no, parents aren't to be hold accountable if their kids happen to be personally TOO involved or fanatical over this shit.

That aside I found the "ant and cockroach" comment quite hilarious, it was innovative, although no less insulting.

Japanese fans do seem to have soft kidneys. The OP side ain't much better I mean they could explain things pacifically and calmly, guess their fuse is just as short.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious...Is this skirmish occurring from the Japanese fanbase, or is it on the Western side of it?
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I saw Oda's comment a few days ago on Crunchyroll News, but Viz's translation made it seem much more friendly.
So was Viz's translation wrong (since ANN's translation does sound much more agressive) or are the "Love Livers" (oh god why) exaggerating?
Probably the latter...
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What about those who like both Love Live! and One Piece?

In any case, I keep seeing "Livers" and thinking of the bodily organ.

Maybe Love Live and iDOLMaster fans can finally come together and join forces against their mutual enemy....One Piece.

In all seriousness as someone with a soft spot for all three I don't get the constant need for fan groups to find something to get indignant over but if its not that itd be something else.
RikudoAkatsuki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
[Edit]: removed troll post. Errinundra.
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I think Oda is to blame. Wording can have different effects on people. People would react differently to "Why did the temple collaborate with an idol anime?" and "I'm curious about the collaboration between the temple and that anime."

Maybe he's just curious.

Let's see how it boils over.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
HA. Classic internet.

I'm not even sure the original comment was meant to be offensive but a simple question. I'd definitely like to see the comment in Japanese.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What about those who like both Love Live! and One Piece?

In any case, I keep seeing "Livers" and thinking of the bodily organ.

Thank you. I'm not alone in the livers confusion. *brofist* Why not Lifers? Ah well, that's the least ridiculous aspect of this whole thing.

Both sides of this are overreacting. Even if Oda did mean it to be insulting (which doesn't seem to be the case, at all) SO. EFFING. WHAT? How does his personal opinion affect a Love Live fan's enjoyment of that series? Rolling Eyes This all seems so silly.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
People here are forgetting that the Love Live fans insulted and even threatened Oda.
I don't see how it is childish or overreacting to be angry and respond with in such manner. Though the best action would be to ignore the comments.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Is "Livers" an official name for Love Live fans or was it just randomly picked by whoever wrote the report? Because the choice of word if unfortunate and weird at best.

Other than that, I wish I could say I'm baffled that this kind of "fandom war" erupted from such a stupid thing, but I guess that's the internet and otaku for you.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
What I find funny is the comment that nobody cares about One Piece anymore. Whoever wrote that clearly doesn't follow ratings and sales.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Honestly? The lowest in this situation are ANN and any other news source that chooses to represent a whole fandom by stupid comments from the requisite supervocal fringe crazies.

But if we want to have a debate between short popular series and long popular series, might I just say... the Love Live anime does the shonen-genre standard (young characters chasing their goals through the power of friendship and hard work) better than anything else, in only 26 episodes. (Yeah, I realize that's not what this is about, though. And tbh, I went to Kanda Myojin shrine during the promotion, and I did think the whole thing was a little weird. And how Love Live fans seemed to take the actual Kanda Matsuri day as a fandom holiday. I... probably shouldn't talk though, because I chose to go to Kanda Myojin on Nozomi's birthday and I had a Nozomi plushie on my bag, and got a Nozomi soda from the Love Live drink stand, and posted it on instagram...)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
More proof why idol anime fans are the worst and the whole idol craze needs to stop.

I am still pretty sure the Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase is the worst. And I would know because I am a Sonic fan.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Kaizoku vs lolicon defenders? Oda FTW.
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Is "Livers" an official name for Love Live fans or was it just randomly picked r wrote the report? Because the choice of word if unfortunate and weird at best.

Other than that, I wish I could say I'm baffled that this kind of "fandom war" erupted from such a stupid thing, but I guess that's the internet and otaku for you.

In Japan the group that goes around Akihabara decked out in layers of Love Live merchandise are referred to as Rabu Raiba which is a play on how the series name is pronounces. Livers is an approximate translation
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5