• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wakako-zake (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Wakako-zake (TV)

Genres: slice of life

Plot Summary: 26-year old Wakako drinks different kinds of sake at bars alone every night, searching for her place to belong.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone here checked out Wakakozake? It is a short format series about food and drink in Japan. It is available streaming on Crunchyroll with several episodes already available.

The main character makes various food/drink combinations sound utterly delightful even though they are extremely Japanese.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching this using fansubs, and it's been pretty good thus far for a series of shorts. I really really wish it had gotten full-length episodes. Stories about working women (who aren't soldiers or thieves) are vanishingly rare in anime - I thoroughly enjoyed the superb Hataraki Man - and when we finally get another one it only has two-minute-long episodes. So disappointing.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Fist thought: "Where everybody knows your name . . . ."
Second thought: Isn't it true that Japanese society discriminates against women who haven't married by age 25? (I've read that there is similar prejudice in China.....)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
@nobahn
Thanks for the setup, it should have occurred to me that I was setting up a series thread.

My impression was that generally she was going to a different location each episode so I doubt she would have been recognized. However from the size of the establishments, if you went very often they would recognize you.

I have seen references to a woman becoming a "Christmas Cake" in the sense that no one wants one after the 25th. However I got the idea that this pertained to marriage chances. I do understand that there is a lot of pressure to leave the work force after marriage and be a homemaker and parent. As a result some young women decide to delay marriage or not get married at all because they don't want the restriction in their lifestyle.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
If she was married she would not get to enjoy those scrumpy looking meals though. She looks like she enjoys the peace.

Watching the show makes me disappointed at the extreme lack of variety of eat outs in my area. Cheap curry, cheap chinese or the chippy. Woopie Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1