• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of August 5-11

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see how the ranking next week will be affected now that people know the score and series are compared every week (I guess, is this going to be a weekly feature?).

I would guess this would create a "min-maxing" effect were we see more maximum score for series people really like and min scoring for series people hate watch or don't watch. I would love to see some form of score distribution.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I would guess this would create a "min-maxing" effect were we see more maximum score for series people really like and min scoring for series people hate watch or don't watch

That'd be so silly and I can totally see people doing it

As for the graph, just look at Gatchaman go. They REALLY don't like standing in one place, huh.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Prison School is rising from the ashes, lol.
Suncraft

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Don't think this should be every week. Maybe every 3 weeks, or Start-mid-end of a season. Changes might mean something.

Going every week you might as well have a link at the top of ANN to a live result sheet.

edit:
Really wish people had gotten Symphogear, Prisma Illya, and Himouto! Umaru-chan up on the reviews to see their positions. Each of them have dedicated followings by now, and Symphogear is really rocking the stage in Japan pre-orders at #1. Hype at maximum everywhere but here it seems. Your poll to decide which shows got reviews probably should of been open longer. Or, maybe, like Shimoneta, had delayed entries.
DK1105

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
My Love Story has been great and Wagnaria is always fun but really don't see how people like Charlotte. I only saw the first two episodes and found it almost unwatchable. Maybe I missed something. My favorite show has been Baby Step but I understand why that's not on the top of the list.
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I find ANN's dislike of Arslan absolutely baffling. It's far from great, has awful 3D animation for it's battle scenes but probably better than half of the stuff in front of it.

Is it the lack of female characters?
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

I doubt it has anything to do with the quality, it's most likely because it's a "shocking" show, so lots of people turned in to watch the first episode or two but gave it terrible rating while the smaller number of people who are genuinely interested in the show consistently rate it high. So after the first few episode the people who rate it low stopped watching and rating while the people who rate it high stick around.

I would guess the number of vote took an equally dramatic shift, only going down in that case.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
myskaros wrote:

I doubt it has anything to do with the quality, it's most likely because it's a "shocking" show, so lots of people turned in to watch the first episode or two but gave it terrible rating while the smaller number of people who are genuinely interested in the show consistently rate it high. So after the first few episode the people who rate it low stopped watching and rating while the people who rate it high stick around.

I would guess the number of vote took an equally dramatic shift, only going down in that case.

It's definitely not a show I'm watching, I just thought, in the graph of the cumulative ranking, going from 20 to 7 was amusing Smile
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The accuracy of these charts still irks me. There are probably many people (like me) who simply ignore or forget to rate the episode they just watched, and there's also the fact that this is taking the average rating of voters, but without having the same number of voters for each series.

For argument's sake, let's say that Gintama has 20 people voting in every week, while Non Non Biyori has 200. Even if they get more or less the same amount of voters, one of them clearly has a much wider audience than the other.

I don't know, I simply can't see it as a good representation of how people think of these shows.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
meiam wrote:
I would guess this would create a "min-maxing" effect were we see more maximum score for series people really like and min scoring for series people hate watch or don't watch

That'd be so silly and I can totally see people doing it

I hope people are mature enough and that they don't intentionally skew their episode ratings. I really like this ranking feature, and I would hate to see it ruined.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
For argument's sake, let's say that Gintama has 20 people voting in every week, while Non Non Biyori has 200. Even if they get more or less the same amount of voters, one of them clearly has a much wider audience than the other.

I don't know, I simply can't see it as a good representation of how people think of these shows.

I think the best way to deal with these worries is if at the end of the season (or maybe some other arbitrary point?) they release a feature just like the current Top 10 page is done (with different kinds of statistics, rankings based on different averages, etc).
Though in the previous thread I remember Zac saying they wouldn't (or at least didn't have plans so far) release all the numbers.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Gintama retaining its crown, while Chaos Dragon: Sekiryū Sen'eki scraps the bottom. Arrow

As others have asked, does the graph shows the data as-is, or is it calculated and adjusted for the different numbers of votes each show gets? For example, if 300 users rated this week's Gintama episode (#284), 120 users rated Gate: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri's 7th episode, and 650 users rated episode #424 of Naruto Shippūden, how does it reflected in the graph, if at all?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
If the ranking does not match your opinion, that's entirely normal. So don't be upset about that. You are not supposed to agree with the ranking. It's just an average of opinions, published for informative purposes.

I'm not entirely sure I should talk about how the ranking is calculated, but since so many people insist, oh well. Basically, all the shows are compared one-to-one. If, among all the people who rated both A and B, 60% prefer A and 35% prefer B (with 5% equal), that means A "wins" over B and will be higher in the ranking. Usually. It's possible to have a situation like A wins over B, B wins over C, C wins over A. In that case the order is decided based on the greatest win margin. See Schulze method for the full details.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice to know how many people voted for a particular episode along with its ranking.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
We aren't releasing vote totals. Further calls for that information will be ignored - sorry, it's internal traffic data. Not for the public.

This is just supposed to be fun info, not a scientific ranking of objective best to worst. Nothing more than some fun data we get from our episode reviews.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3