• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Drifters Anime's 1st Promo Video Previews Animation, Staff

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, this looks amazing. I hope it will debut next year like sometimes in Spring.

I wonder if it will be in OVA or TV series form though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kuzronk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
If only we knew the studio.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote
Trailer song sounds awful lot like Yasushi Ishii's work! I truly hope I'm not mistaken. Ishii's soundtrack in the original Hellsing's OST was one of the few things original anime did better than Ultimate. It's one of the best.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
OrangeVision wrote:
Trailer song sounds awful lot like Yasushi Ishii's work! I truly hope I'm not mistaken. Ishii's soundtrack in the original Hellsing's OST was one of the few things original anime did better than Ultimate. It's one of the best.

It is too obvious to doubt - his own voice is easy to recognize.
Sacred Blood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
I started grinning like a madman when the vocals kicked in. That was unmistakably Yasushi Ishii's music. Other than Hellsing, I loved his work on Season 2 of Darker Than Black, so I really hope he gets this gig. Drifters is a brilliant manga, just the kind of raw and edgy adventure you'd expect from the writer of Hellsing, only this time with a historical tinge. Here's hoping it's a tv series, an OVA adaptation will just kill it by dragging on endlessly.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
kuzronk wrote:
If only we knew the studio.

We know the staff, which is the most important part anyway.
gtmvanity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
Hopefully the anime gets me back into reading the manga. Maybe it will motivate me into un-dropping it Very Happy
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
Feels very likie David Production to me tbh. Has that flair that they used in presenting JoJo in terms of experimenting with the anime medium
NieR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
Drifters is quite literally the number one anime series I'm looking forward to come out. I really hope it airs early next year, maybe next summer at the latest.

The animation and character designs looks awesome and I hope there won't be any censoring as there wasn't in the trailer. The background song was amazing too. I wonder if Yuuichi Nakamura will return to voice Shimazu Toyohisa and I'm curious who will voice Oda Nobunaga.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
Feels very likie David Production to me tbh. Has that flair that they used in presenting JoJo in terms of experimenting with the anime medium

Well, it's the same director, so it might just be that.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this now. Hellsing, JoJo, and a pseudo-historical battle royale? Sign me me the hell up.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
DontmesswithKarma wrote:

Well, it's the same director, so it might just be that.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this now. Hellsing, JoJo, and a pseudo-historical battle royale? Sign me me the hell up.

A shame that spoiler[Hitler] Is already dead when the manga starts.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I'm so ready for this!

OrangeVision wrote:

Yeah, he did an amazing job.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, and I know I'm in the minority, but I have liked GONZO/Toshiharu Murata's interpretation of Hirano's design style much more than I have Hellsing Ultimate or even what's shown here, despite it being closer to his (which is partially the reason, as Hirano's designs can sometimes feel "ungainly" (for lack of better or kinder word)).

Still…this looks pretty awesome. I was cringing when I saw the visuals at the beginning of the trailer, but the cool factor and—assuming—Yasushi Ishii spoiler[(who REALLY needs to be in more anime…)] are undeniable. Ishii's music is probably the only thing that should ever be heard in a Kouta Hirano show spoiler[(that's right, Hellsing Not-So-Ultimate)].

I would be shocked if anyone other than FUNimation gets this (and announces it before it falls), but, on a separate note, I have to wonder if it is only a matter of time before NBCUJP (formerly Geneon/Pioneer) gets back into the N.A. market. Other Japanese companies are setting up shop and the market's not quite the same as it was when they left. I would think there is a certain threshold before they could realize they could make more money on their own than through someone else, particularly when they've done so before.

I am not saying it is an absolute and I doubt that the U.S. branch would be up for them to use the "NBCU" name/brand for anime here, but I don't think they want to be a Pony Canyon missing out on Attack on Titan or an Aniplex on a Madoka or Fate series (or, more in this case, AoA passing on AnoHana) in the future, either…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yerld

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
David Production has their own CG department (they're also owned by Fuji TV these days, even if their work on Jojo is ongoing), so I'm not sure if this is their work.

The logo says "Hoods Drifters Studio", which could be coincidence or a possible reference to Hoods Entertainment.

At any rate, they've hired staff (from Sanzigen, Graphinica, Hiwa, etc.) closely affiliated to Gonzo and its offshoots.
Gal3riel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote
looks good
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1