• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Pokémon Company to Produce Unscripted Series Involving Pokémon Trading Card Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamina170

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Give me one day to play the gameboy game and I’ll be pro
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Lemme guess, Logan Paul, Leonhart and Gary "King of Pokemon" will be on it. Rolling Eyes
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I just came across this recent news article from Business Wire, License Global Releases the "Top Global Licensors Report 2022," Indicating Signs of Industry-Wide Recovery, Published July 07, 2022 03:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time.

Quote:
The annual report shows total revenue of $260.8 billion
Forty of the brand licensors bring in at least $1 billion at retail individually
Seven new companies made the list: Bandai Namco Group, Serta Simmons Bedding, Nissan Motor Corporation, BMW Group, Turnowsky, Bromelia Produções, and DeAPlaneta Entertainment

Quote:
SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--License Global magazine, the licensing industry's thought leader and news source published by the Global Licensing Group, examines retail sales of licensed consumer products across all sectors for the 2021 fiscal year in its recently released Top Global Licensors Report. Total revenue for licensed consumer products at retail reported by the 88 licensors featured accounts for $260.8 billion, with 40 of those brand licensors bringing in at least $1 billion individually.

Quote:
Authentic Brands Group, the No. 3 Top Global Licensor, had the biggest revenue growth year-on-year, reporting a $7.9 billion gain over the fiscal year 2020.
Significant movement from The Pokémon Company International (+$3.4 billion) and Dotdash Meredith (+$5.8 billion).
In total, the latest Top Global Licensors Report shows an upward revenue growth for licensed consumer products at retail of +$39.6 billion from the fiscal year 2020 to 2021.
Fashion was indicated as the leading brand category currently held by licensees (70%), followed by Entertainment (i.e., streaming and gaming) and Lifestyle categories (i.e., home and beauty) at 60%, with Corporate Brands at 50%.

Congratulations on joining this very exclusive club, Bandai Namco!

License Global reports that in 2021 The Pokémon Company International grossed US$8.5 billion in licensed merchandise sales, beating out Hasbro, US$8.4 billion, and Mattel, US$7.4 billion.

According to its official website, "The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world."

The Pokémon Company itself reported a record year in 2021, The Pokemon Company Had Record Profits in 2021, ComicBook, By Christian Hoffer, May 31, 2022 07:14 am EDT.

Quote:
The Pokemon Company had another huge year in 2021. The Pokemon Company released its annual earnings report for its 2021 fiscal year (which ended in February 2022), which revealed that the company had one of its most profitable years of all time. The Pokemon Company reported sales of $1.6 billion, with a gross revenue of $700 million and a net profit of $325 million. Profits were driven by the release of two new Pokemon games - Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl and Pokemon Legends: Arceus – and the Pokemon Trading Card Game and Pokemon Go.

Pokémon's lead over every other global IP (intellectual property) as the world's No. 1 highest-grossing media franchise of all time has expanded, grossing at least 118.5 billion United States dollars.

This sales figure has not included Pokémon licensed merchandise sales within Japan / Asia for the past few years now, so it is at least a few billion US dollars too low.

With Pokémon Scarlet and Violet slated to release later this year, expect another banner year in Pokémon sales, furthering growing the gap between it and every other media franchise in the world.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:42 pm Reply with quote
It'd be great if they would make a new TCG RPG like the gameboy ones, but I guess it would be much less monetizable compared to TCG Online and therefore not worth the effort to them
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:03 pm Reply with quote
@ MagicPolly

That's exactly what I want as well. Its like Nintendo doesn't want to go with Spin-offs alot of the time. Especially with sequels, some a decade apart...

As for the article, could be fun. Just depends on the execution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1