Forum - View topic
GAME: Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JaggedAuthor



Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Posts: 976
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
Far from a great fighter, but playability-wise, it's probably my favorite DBZ game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
falcon.punch



Joined: 07 Jan 2015
Posts: 692
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
The game had potential, but it is too easy and same combos every moment, it saddens me more that the music is top notch.

The assist thing is fun. At least they limit to balance it. The supers are too slow.

The lack of online and training will be solved in the JP release update.

But is a shame that this is another button mashing DBZ game, but at least an Improvement over the Supersonic Warriors series
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ziko577



Joined: 21 May 2014
Posts: 131
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
The game had potential, but it is too easy and same combos every moment, it saddens me more that the music is top notch.

The assist thing is fun. At least they limit to balance it. The supers are too slow.

The lack of online and training will be solved in the JP release update.

But is a shame that this is another button mashing DBZ game, but at least an Improvement over the Supersonic Warriors series


I'm guessing we won't get that update for a while. Also, I really think this series of games in the series always kinda sucked. The first 3 games had few playable characters, a crappy storyline, and the gameplay always wasn't what it should be. The DS game I played was basically all of DBZ Kai and then some but the way the game played was so damn archaic and weird that a bit of practice and a tutorial was required so I could play the game!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
falcon.punch



Joined: 07 Jan 2015
Posts: 692
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:

I'm guessing we won't get that update for a while. Also, I really think this series of games in the series always kinda sucked. The first 3 games had few playable characters, a crappy storyline, and the gameplay always wasn't what it should be. The DS game I played was basically all of DBZ Kai and then some but the way the game played was so damn archaic and weird that a bit of practice and a tutorial was required so I could play the game!


Yeah, fighters have always crappy storylines, even the most complex ones (The only one decent is Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-, from the same company)

The DBZ Kai Saiyan RPG is actually a pretty nice RPG in my point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tomibiki



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 817
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Hidemaro and some other players from Japan have been doing some awesome stuff with this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLtoyqsZGrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwh_FUwjWY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Herald Of JOJO



Joined: 16 Oct 2015
Posts: 144
Location: Malaysia
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
Ziko577 wrote:

I'm guessing we won't get that update for a while. Also, I really think this series of games in the series always kinda sucked. The first 3 games had few playable characters, a crappy storyline, and the gameplay always wasn't what it should be. The DS game I played was basically all of DBZ Kai and then some but the way the game played was so damn archaic and weird that a bit of practice and a tutorial was required so I could play the game!


Yeah, fighters have always crappy storylines, even the most complex ones (The only one decent is Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-, from the same company)

The DBZ Kai Saiyan RPG is actually a pretty nice RPG in my point.


You say Guilty Gear's story is decent. I think it's alright too but I can't follow the story for the GG series sometimes.

People complain about Blazblue's story a lot, but those games have segments which give more exposition for the in-universe lingo such as Nox Nyctores and stuff. Feel free to say that it sucks that players have to do that in order to understand what's going on, but with GG, there are still things I don't understand e.g., what the hell a Gear is, the significance of certain groups, etc.

Looking for information on it doesn't help. Go on the Guilty Gear wiki and try to read up on Sol Badguy. The information I found on him also takes the spin-off games into account by including Sol's endings in every game and I heard that some of it is canon or something?? It isn't a proper list of canon for Sol so I can't follow it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaggedAuthor



Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Posts: 976
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
You say Guilty Gear's story is decent. I think it's alright too but I can't follow the story for the GG series sometimes.

People complain about Blazblue's story a lot, but those games have segments which give more exposition for the in-universe lingo such as Nox Nyctores and stuff. Feel free to say that it sucks that players have to do that in order to understand what's going on, but with GG, there are still things I don't understand e.g., what the hell a Gear is, the significance of certain groups, etc.

Looking for information on it doesn't help. Go on the Guilty Gear wiki and try to read up on Sol Badguy. The information I found on him also takes the spin-off games into account by including Sol's endings in every game and I heard that some of it is canon or something?? It isn't a proper list of canon for Sol so I can't follow it.


In response to the question of what a Gear is, the original game's instruction booklet describes it as "a fusion of human DNA, animal DNA, and magic." While I agree that GG's overarching plot is a bit too complex for a fighting game, I've always found it easier to follow than BlazBlue's story. As much as I love BB, I've always struggled to make sense of the "how and why" of the series' universe. The pertinent information is definitely available; I just can't process it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
falcon.punch



Joined: 07 Jan 2015
Posts: 692
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

In response to the question of what a Gear is, the original game's instruction booklet describes it as "a fusion of human DNA, animal DNA, and magic." While I agree that GG's overarching plot is a bit too complex for a fighting game, I've always found it easier to follow than BlazBlue's story. As much as I love BB, I've always struggled to make sense of the "how and why" of the series' universe. The pertinent information is definitely available; I just can't process it.


If you don't understand the multiple time loops and time paradoxes in BB, you're screwed, I struggled A LOT to understand Blazblue at first. Guilty Gear's story has many focus, but the principal one is Sol fighting against the man who turned him into a Gear fighting many creatures of its kind and also struggling for his lost love spoiler[turned into the first full fledged Gear, Justice].

Welp, back to the game, is decent, I think the game is like JoJo ASB, a fighting game for the fans and not the hardcore crew.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group