• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Concept Movie Will Be Core of New Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:
Homura life gem starts to turn fully black as she gives up hope as we see a black aura over take her thats the end of tv. The 3rd movie picks up from there.

"Starts to" is the operative word. But Madoka came and talked to Homura, so the despair couldn't finish. After that you saw Homura fighting those negative Buddha things. Rebellion clearly takes place in the future of the TV series.

GaryNhk wrote:
At the end of 3rd movie Homura stoles god madoka powers to make reality and makes it where it breaks rule "devil like" but by doing that everyone is saved all the magical girls and even the violin guys arm is fixed. I saw it as a pretty happy ending.

It is not entirely clear what Homura did. Did she actually change reality, or did she create a pocket universe within Madoka's universe. Either way, Rebellion did not have a happy ending.

This new Earth is not the same as the old one. You've got all of Homura's witch-kins running around all over. There is still the question of whether or not the human beings are the actual human beings or are just witch-kins in disguise, like they were in the Egg.

Madoka clearly knows something is not right, so Homura has to constantly befuddle her mind to maintain control. And Homura is doing the same thing to Sayaka also.

So how is it a happy ending, if you have to imprison your friends in a universal witch's labyrinth and are constantly mind wiping your friends to control them.

Since when did illegal mind control become the new sign of friendship. Even in doujinshi, mind control is clearly bad.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:

So how is it a happy ending, if you have to imprison your friends in a universal witch's labyrinth and are constantly mind wiping your friends to control them.

I'm not gonna say your wrong on how you understood the ending because its not fully explain and you have to fill in the gaps yourself. Like I said I believe Homura made a new reality "universal" after grabbing or taking in god Madokas powers of changing realities into her life gem. Also Homura was link to the time travel fate thing like madoka so you can say their equal in power and could change realities like madoka.

I don't believe Homura made another labyrinth like the first one at the start of the movie. Why did she make herself remember and have that one closed just to make another. She kept the memories of the magical girls because Sayaka confronts her and she does the evil cool clap. If she took their memories or mind control them that couldnt happen.

It was a happy ending because Homura was able to make a reality that Madoka couldn't. Where every magical girl and their family and friends where still alive and well. Also Homura was able to stay in the reality she made and not in the no clothes space like tv ending
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:
It was a happy ending because Homura was able to make a reality that Madoka couldn't. Where every magical girl and their family and friends where still alive and well.

A reality which was heavily hinted at to be extremely unstable and bound to collapse before long. Heck, it almost happened at the end of the movie. And that was the very same day the damn thing was created! Aside from Sayaka's comments and the generally unsettling atmosphere, the fact that Madoka came within seconds of regaining her memories and powers and Homura had to take action just to prevent that from happening makes it pretty clear that Homura's system will not last.

Oh yeah, and, again... she accomplished this ending by brainwashing people. And Homura herself is shown pretty clearly to absolutely hate herself for having done this (note that she deliberately refers to herself as "evil" for having done what she did). So... yeah. Not exactly sunshine and rainbows.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting news indeed. I wonder what they'll come up with.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:
She kept the memories of the magical girls because Sayaka confronts her and she does the evil cool clap. If she took their memories or mind control them that couldnt happen.

Rebellion clearly shows Homura controlling Sayaka and Madoka. It was not subtle, but quite direct. If I stole the last 20 years of your memories, would you still consider that a happy or good event.
GaryNhk wrote:
It was a happy ending because Homura was able to make a reality that Madoka couldn't. Where every magical girl and their family and friends where still alive and well. Also Homura was able to stay in the reality she made and not in the no clothes space like tv ending

Homura was going to be taken to Madoka heaven on that rainbow, where she would live forever with Madoka and Goddess Madoka. Live in Madoka heaven forever…….
Homura threw away Madoka heaven, to live in a world full of witch-kins running around, a world where she has to constantly suppress Madoka’s and Sayaka’s powers and memories, and as Lord Starfish noted, a world that is blatantly unstable. Also, where did all these friends and family come from? Time has passed, and normal humans age. Yet, seemingly everyone has been reset to the beginning of the TV series. So either all these normal humans are just artificial witch creations, or Homura stole the lives, relations, experiences, and memories of humanity.
There is nothing good or happy in this, and not even Homura is happy. Homura threw away heaven, to live in hell.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Homura was going to be taken to Madoka heaven on that rainbow, where she would live forever with Madoka and Goddess Madoka. Live in Madoka heaven forever…….
Homura threw away Madoka heaven, to live in a world full of witch-kins running around, a world where she has to constantly suppress Madoka’s and Sayaka’s powers and memories, and as Lord Starfish noted, a world that is blatantly unstable. Also, where did all these friends and family come from? Time has passed, and normal humans age. Yet, seemingly everyone has been reset to the beginning of the TV series. So either all these normal humans are just artificial witch creations, or Homura stole the lives, relations, experiences, and memories of humanity.
There is nothing good or happy in this, and not even Homura is happy. Homura threw away heaven, to live in hell.

Alot is unknown about this new world Homura made and hopefully they will go into it more for those who need that closure. I for one hand like the 3rd movie ending just like I liked end of evangelion. Do I need to know why he choke Asuka at the very end. No I took what it was and enjoy it.

Madoka isn't my fav of time travel to save the world stories thats been told but its enjoyable and top 3. Others would be bioshock infinite that would be my fav follow by edge of tomorrow. Also madoka is a story base off german folklore faust called prologue in heaven if you like to compare. Also its a rare anime because there no fan serves in it and very little blood. For its dark themes its pretty tame compare to 90% of shows out there. Thats why more is better if you don't like the movies just stick with tv and enjoy that while others will enjoy more of a show they really like to each its own.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Homura throwing away heaving to live in hell makes perfect sense for her character, so long as she makes Madoka happy. What Rebellion painfully demonstrates is that Homura doesn't understand Madoka(the time loops having, if anything, driven a steak in between them) and so only ends up hurting her instead(spoiler[excuse the excerpts from a comedic doujinshi, but I haven't seen a better illustration yet]).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Homura throwing away heaving to live in hell makes perfect sense for her character, so long as she makes Madoka happy. What Rebellion painfully demonstrates is that Homura doesn't understand Madoka(the time loops having, if anything, driven a steak in between them) and so only ends up hurting her instead(spoiler[excuse the excerpts from a comedic doujinshi, but I haven't seen a better illustration yet]).

Except Madoka is not happy.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
That was my point: she's constructed a happy life in her head and Madoka's going to live it whether she likes it or not. What we're simply witnessing is the gulf between the Madoka that Homura sees in her mind and the Madoka that exists; with countless time loops that have only seen her get more and more distant from Madoka, she's ended up chasing a chimera.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4