• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
10 Moments of Spectacular Animation from 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Walrus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad Absolute Duo is getting some love for its opening! The song and animation in the intro got me to at least episode 6 before I realized what a bad show it actually is overall.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Dang- I don't know if i'll ever watch Euphorium or Shiraboko(?), but that was some beautiful animation work.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I know not everybody is up to date with Pokemon and it's not the highest priority in anime circles but this year's production with XY (and the past year too) has been tremendously amazing, especially in the Mega Evolution specials, which Masaaki Iwane has handled almost by himself more than an hour of animation, of course with the great help of Yuuji Asada and Tomioka, giving us delightful scenes like this (Mega Evolution Special 4, to air in US the 26th of December), and this by the hand of Ato Ohashi, and this was only a part of one of my favorite Gym Battles so far. And this is just a glimpse of what they've done.

But definetely my favorite is this one, not only is amazingly animated, the whole composition is amazing, it's as if Rayquaza is screaming "EAT YOUR GODDAMN TUNA!!" while Groudon yells back "YOU OVERSIZED GECKO MOTHERF*CKER!!" and all Kyogre can say is "pls help"; that is not counting the final hit of Dragon Ascent, in which both legendaries have the "Oh crap" look.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
It's nice to see Euph and Shirobako getting some love - far too many of these end of year lists have been dominated by action and shonen series. A lot of brilliant work in other genres has gone unremarked.

yeah, that's what I liked about this list, it was not exclusively actions scenes, as somtimes these lists are but also included other types of animation.

bastek66 wrote:
>2015
>still using gifs

WEBMs, idiots. Embrace the future.

webms, idiot, are not good in pages that haev multiple videos/examples as they slow down not powerful hardware when you put a lto fo them, which makes gif the superior alternative while embedding.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
bastek66 wrote:
WEBMs, idiots. Embrace the future.

As long as you're being a jerk about it, why not actually suggest a format that's isn't incompatible with 20% of our web traffic?
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, not only do I now know a single anime in that list, but for some inexplicable reason they didn't include Aquarion Logos. Not only was the animation top notch and amazing to look at like its predecessors, but episode 13 was one of the most well done fight scenes in anime history, period. I even compare it to TTGL, even Gainax would be jealous of something like that. The anime of the year got snubbed once again. Sad
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The final episode of OPM has not aired yet. Things may change...
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Nishi-Ogikubo was definitely one of the highlights of the year for me. I love that raw scribble-like movement.

My favorite scene of the year is easily Kevin's pick from Sound!Euphonium from episode 5. My jaw hit the floor every time I see it. Probably took 50 screenshots of that scene that I've been using as backgrounds on my PC since it aired.

I've been loving a lot of the mecha fight scenes in Iron-Blooded Orphans as well. It feels like forever since I've seen some well choreographed and fluid 2D mecha fights.

All in all, it feels like the animation in 2015 has been much stronger than the last couple of years. Or maybe it's just because I'm paying more attention to it. Either way, lots of really good stuff.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
webms, idiot, are not good in pages that haev multiple videos/examples as they slow down not powerful hardware when you put a lto fo them, which makes gif the superior alternative while embedding.

The webpage of certain non capitalist fansubers have webm videos that only activate when you put your your GUI arrow over said video and webm uses less bandwidth than gifs.

jsevakis wrote:
As long as you're being a jerk about it, why not actually suggest a format that's isn't incompatible with 20% of our web traffic?

Obviously I do not have ANN visitors statistics, but recent versions of firefox and chrome do support webm and those two cover atm 86.6 of web browser usage. IMO is not bad to force people to update their browsers to the latest version, since using old versions (or old browsers like IE or safari) only rises the risk of malware infection.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Definitely agree with all of the examples on the list, especially in the cases where they're representative of their shows (UBW, OPM, Hibike Euphonium, etc.).

It gives me a new perspective on studios like Kyo-Ani where while the majority of their works might not appeal to me, they remain high-quality regardless.

jsevakis wrote:

On an entirely separate note, is there an ANN Director of Old Media?
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Nothing beats One-Punch Man when it comes to animation this year, tbh. Blood-Blockade Battlefront looked good at certain points, but it doesn't matter when everything's going so fast you don't even know what's going on in the battle sequences.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Wow, not only do I now know a single anime in that list, but for some inexplicable reason they didn't include Aquarion Logos. Not only was the animation top notch and amazing to look at like its predecessors, but episode 13 was one of the most well done fight scenes in anime history, period. I even compare it to TTGL, even Gainax would be jealous of something like that. The anime of the year got snubbed once again. Sad

With that out of the way, I don't really watch a lot of recent anime. However, I did take time out of my schedule to watch Nishi-Ogikubo. It was quite charming! The animation itself is fantastic, and the story is easy to follow, even if you don't know the (very little) Japanese used. Silence is golden, after all. I should also add I Can Friday By Day to list of Sakuga moments. Anyone else?
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
Another nice piece of animation was, I think, Sound! Ep 8, at the end of the episode, when Reina puts her finger on Kumiko's forehead and then goes to the lip, and then that little bounce... That was amazing.

I thought of that scene too... I can't really argue against his selections though, there were just too many well done scenes in Euph for me to narrow them down.
secondkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the article! I hope this will be an annual thing or something ANN could do every season; I'm encouraged to check new series whenever I read something like this.

If there are some contentions here, that means more and more anime from different studios are churning out good quality animation, so much that they can't all be covered, and that's a good thing. For me the most memorable animated scene is also from Sound! Euphonium: the band's competition performance at the last episode. I read from an interview of the staff that they focused a lot on the different ways to play each brass instruments, including the pressing of the valves and the breathing into the mouthpieces. The results clearly showed their dedication. In a music-themed anime, I tend to get fixated on how the instruments are played (like how I'm bothered by Nodame Cantabile's piano playing but at awe with Kids on the Slope's drum solo) so I'm very impressed with Sound!'s animation (that's a lot of horns at once).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
What, no sex scene qualified for this list? Bummer. (Not that I can think of any myself.)

But you would think there would be at least a nice romantic kiss scene or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5