• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Buddy Complex Sub.Blu-Ray +DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd be curious to find out how this sells for Funimation, though I don't actually expect anything more specific than what we get on ANNcast. This received a largely positive review, but streaming numbers were obviously low enough that Funi didn't consider dubbing this show worth the money. When the one company that still consistently dubs most things chooses not to do so, it seems like that might have potential customers thinking the show is a dud. Considering the last couple of shows that Funi released sub-only received less than stellar reviews, I have to wonder if customers won't come to perceive sub-only releases from Funi as a signal of quality.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I was honestly shocked of how well this show did time travel, more specifically the looping and repercussions. I mean, yeah. Steins;Gate exists but that outright shows it to you.

I loved how BC handled with the heavily implications that this wasn't the first time the plot had played out overall. It's a shame it didn't get the full run and the mobile game shut down. It ended up being one of my favorite new IPs of recent years nonetheless. Captain Sloth was great too, not to mention Bizon.

Really hoping it shows up in Super Robot Wars sometime because it's literally perfect for it.

Shame Funi didn't dub it though but honestly, I can't imagine who I'd cast. The Japanese cast was great to the point where I can't even think of anybody.
bastek66

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Vale who works at Sunrise said that Studio 8's chief was angry after his bosses denied full second cour.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Buddy Complex was a surprisingly enjoyable series that suffered from the same thing that I've found quite a few recent mecha series do - the pacing is too fast.

There was a lot to like about this series, from the cast, to the universe they were portraying, to the mecha designs and the well handled time travel. However, all of it felt like it was crammed into too short of a series.

Too many characters were underdeveloped and dynamics between them were started and dropped faster than they had any right too. If the series had been gifted with a longer run, I think it would have definitely been a top competitor for Gundam and Macross.

However, what we did get was still enjoyable. It's just, sadly, not on the same level as the greats in the mecha genre, despite having all the parts to be one of them.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
This would have been a much better show had they got that second season to finish it properly. Still, even though it was heavily abridged to the point where things came out of nowhere which could have been explained with more time, at least we got some kind of finale, rather than leaving everything hanging in mid-air like with some other shows which failed to get a second season.

I quite liked it, though I did find some of the "coupling" jargon intrinsically funny. That for me was one of the show's charm points.
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As you may have noticed, “nice coupling” has some perhaps unintended connotations. While it is well within the realm of possibility that the original Japanese writers did know that “coupling” can be used as a sexual euphemism

Isn't coupling the word Japanese fans use for shipping characters? If so then the writers were definitely aware of what they we're doing
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'd be curious to find out how this sells for Funimation, though I don't actually expect anything more specific than what we get on ANNcast. This received a largely positive review, but streaming numbers were obviously low enough that Funi didn't consider dubbing this show worth the money. When the one company that still consistently dubs most things chooses not to do so, it seems like that might have potential customers thinking the show is a dud. Considering the last couple of shows that Funi released sub-only received less than stellar reviews, I have to wonder if customers won't come to perceive sub-only releases from Funi as a signal of quality.

actually only this series and OniAi got the sub only DVD releases which is ashame cause both were decent enough. but if the streaming viewership was really bad,then i really cant blame them for not doing a dub version. though it will unfortunately will mean that funi will have to get another mecha series that is good enough to warrant a dub cause once gundam iron blooded orphans and thunderbolt gets released ,as well as the origin movies any other mech series will be really half baked in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

actually only this series and OniAi got the sub only DVD releases

inari kon kon, Puchimas, .hack//G.U. Trilogy were released sub only as well. C3 will be another one in March
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But where is Hina in all of this?

Quote:
It's a time-traveling mecha show that owes its plot to a lot of recognizable sources, from Aquarion and its sequels to hints of the original El Hazard with its relationship between Hina and Aoba

I loved the time travel bit from El Hazard. I haven't seen this show yet, but would I be correct in assuming based on this reference that spoiler[when Hina sends Aoba to the future it's her past (but still in the future) and they're enemies at that point & they haven't met yet] or something along those lines?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote
Something very similar to that, yes. Smile

The time travel aspect was actually my favorite part of the show - I enjoyed the battles, but I'm a total sucker for time travel stories.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Something very similar to that, yes. Smile

Figured, thanks Smile

Princess_Irene wrote:

The time travel aspect was actually my favorite part of the show - I enjoyed the battles, but I'm a total sucker for time travel stories.

Me too, this has moved up my 'to watch' list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1