• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ERASED [2016-01-15]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with Nick and the general opinion of the thread that ERASED could have been a better show. The road was bumpy after episode 4, but I am satisfied with the place the series arrived at in the last 2 episodes.

I rated ERASED Good.
Sm0ggy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Mediocre anime which was hyped because it had two great episodes at the begging. 5.5 to me, it's a shame they skipped many important parts of the manga, and the same thing is happening to Dimension W, don't know why the producers decide to put the content of 18-20 episodes (or more) into 12. This turns to be the result.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd argue that what this show needed wasn't more episode it was less! Like 6 episode less, cut out all part about serial killer (or rather have people believe there's a serial killer but actually Kayo was killed by her mom) and cut out most, if not all, part that happened in the 1st present and you can make an awesome show. I'd go even further in fact.

Satoru was an idiot the entire time because he was a 29 year old guy (that last part this episode, lucky he didn't have a knife, what would you have done then?), but if the story from the beginning had been about a 10 year old it would have been far better. Maybe just have him get some premonition about Kayo getting killed or something.

Anyway final episode, yeah pretty terrible but what were they gonna do, they were stuck with Yashiro as an awful villain, there was just no coming back from this. Might as well go with a pulled out of there ass explanation of him being super obsesses, although it really clash with the whole "I know your future!" part, since in the future Yashiro wasn't obsesses with Satoru at all. Oh and Airi coming back in at the last minute, lol, wonder if Satoru is gonna try to hit on her using her loser father story "Girl you look fine, I'd steal a chocolate bar for you!".
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Expectation of the future is the ruiner of the pleasure of the present. Having not known a lick about the source material has once again allowed me to thoroughly enjoy another series. From the batty villain, to the Occult Gakuen poster on the wall. Perfect? Goodness no. But I honestly don't think anything anyone has mentioned about how it differs from the manga would necessarily be an improvement for me. And this from me who has generally hated most of the series in this genre over the last few years. B+/A- series for me.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
In the end, I do feel like Nick was kind of barking up the wrong tree regarding what he wanted this show to be versus what it actually was, as the finale hit all of the right notes for me at least. Just a really satisfying conclusion with plenty of good feels. On a less cheerful note, the ridiculous undeserved blowback this show has received over the past several weeks has once again reminded me of why I put so little stock in the judgements of the collective anime fandom, and also why I'd dearly love to hit most of them over the head with the writing stick. Ah well.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Overall, good but not great. Too bad the MAL crowd was hyping up this show like crazy. I personally thought the whole "I waited 15 years to kill you!" to be a little ridiculous. I get it, Satoru is supposed to be the metaphorical pet hamster that survived but still, it didn't work for me. Airi's character was sort of a waste as well, although I'm glad she spoiler[shows up at the end]. At the very least, the ending provided good closure.

Last edited by CoreSignal on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
@ DRosencraft: I haven't read the manga either and I agree that none of the suggested "fixes" really work for me, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't dismayed at how the quality fell off in the last few episodes. How would I fix it? I dunno, I'm not a script doctor and I'm not getting paid to write a coherent, engaging and satisfying story like, you know, the author is.

Anime (and its literary sources) is really great at coming up with inventive ideas, and wonderful twists on old ideas, but the number of series that successfully stick the landing I can count on my hands (/hyperbole). I've seen worse train wrecks, but at least Erased didn't completely crash and burn, it just hit some dizzying turbulence along the way. (/mixed metaphors)

meiam wrote:
wonder if Satoru is gonna try to hit on her using her loser father story "Girl you look fine, I'd steal a chocolate bar for you!"

#foreveralone
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
Well, since all the usual suspects have chimed in I guess I'll say the ending was a little hard to believe, though I anticipated that Satoru got his memories back prior to the roof scene and that he tipped his friends off to catch Sensei and save Kumi. I didn't read the manga and the show kept my interest throughout without being predictable in all details and fulfilled Shakespeare's "all's well that ends well" so I'd grade B+. But I agree with Nick that it could have been so much better, manga notwithstanding. The 413 comments to date are testament to how interested ANN readers have been with the show, so it is still #1 for the season to me.

@whiskeyii I guess I'm the sort that likes to have motivations explored...and Satoru could totally have gotten out of the seat belt Wink
Rensie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Bland and anticlimatic ending, the best part of the whole serie was at beginning.

2/5 my final vote, aka nothing relevant to be remembered for.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:20 am Reply with quote
The ending felt a little rushed, but aside from a few bumps in the road, it was well worth watching, especially the parts in the 80s. I'm genuinely going to miss those kids. Didn't quite live up to its potential, but it would be worth rewatching at some point, maybe even worth purchasing if Aniplex doesn't overcharge (they will).

Just not a high priority right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Yreva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote
I liked it. It is what it is and it can't be anything more or less :3
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:38 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
In the end, I do feel like Nick was kind of barking up the wrong tree regarding what he wanted this show to be versus what it actually was, as the finale hit all of the right notes for me at least. Just a really satisfying conclusion with plenty of good feels. On a less cheerful note, the ridiculous undeserved blowback this show has received over the past several weeks has once again reminded me of why I put so little stock in the judgements of the collective anime fandom, and also why I'd dearly love to hit most of them over the head with the writing stick. Ah well.

Here, here! Out of the 27 previous pages worth of comments on this series I agree with yours 100%!
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
This last episode still maintained the general human drama themes and showdown from the manga, although the setting and events leading up to it is anime-original.

The final scenes are from the final manga chapter's ending, so the director's promise to use the manga ending was somewhat met.

spoiler[-Satoru's hospital rehab arc was drawn out further in the manga and its chapters were largely introspections by the characters.
-Airi appeared twice, one saving Satoru from paparazzi, and the other when Satoru wishes to meet and thank her for her believing in his innocence in Timeline #1 (he backs out at the last moment, not wanting to endanger her).
-The final showdown happened at a rehab camp organized by the hospital at a lakeside campground. Yashiro disguises himself as a volunteer and sneaks himself on the tour to frame Satoru for murdering Kumi (he drugs her and places her in a leaking boat). The showdown happens on a suspension bridge above the lake.]
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

While I personally subscribe to the notion of avoiding excessive expectations and therefore the blowback once they aren't met, I'd say a little of the blowback was deserved, though hardly the extent of it, which was ridiculous. Episode 10 and the reveal of Yashiro was a letdown for, frankly, most, but a lot were way too letdown. It wasn't that awful of a turn but based on the previous level of quality, it was reasonable to expect a little more from it. However, this does reinforce my belief in curbing expectations and also trusting one's own judgment.

As to the final ep and series overall, I agree it was about as good as it could be. I liked that how the town without me portion has moved to Satoru. Yeah the part where Yashiro decides to save Satoru is a bit weird, but it does mitigate the cartoonish villainousness a bit, though that could have been better done by adding Yashiro's backstory. It was nice to see everyone grownup and Satoru doing well. Airi makes for a nice enough love interest now, but isn't she still like over ten years his junior? Confused Even if she has since come of age, still kinda creepy. Anyways, I'd agree with the B+/A- rating as well.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah from the start and hype of ERASED I was a slightly disappointed by this final episode to be honest although I expected an 'everyone lives happily ever after' and wouldn't have minded that I didn't really like the way it was done (although I was nice to see Misato in the future and Yuuki with his wife and kid), I really didn't get the part about Yashiro not wanting to kill him, at least that desperately because Satoru was the only one who knew 'the real' him.
Although I was confused at the start why the didn't go straight to the balcony scene I think after watching it I preferred it that way especially with Satoru getting to talk to the other people and his inevitable conversation with Kenya about his regained memories and also the part with them all out in the restaurant together although I didn't get the part with the revival butterfly and Airi (who seems still very young) at the end.
Anyway although I say it wasn't the best finale its probably just because of how the series started and think I'm still gonna give the series a high rating
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 30