• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Has Not Licensed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
I've walked into quite a few stores here that have this movie on their shelves. Though, that clearly doesn't help anyone outside of Australia. Laughing

I've never bought the movie because, well, it's ending came of as "plot induced stupidity" to me.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:04 am Reply with quote
Yea I don't see how they made such a mistake, its not like confusing Tokyo Ghoul with Tokyo Ravens or Tokyo ESP or any number of "Tokyo" titles. The mistake as others have pointed out is that it probably got uploaded way before it should have. Hopefully there wont be any blowback from Kadokawa and we'll see this title back in circulation.

Mune wrote:
The region 1 DVD is out of print and is not that cheap.
There has been no region 1 Blu-ray with an English language or subtitle track to date.

My BD that I bought from RightStuf back in 2011 begs to differ. In case people want to know it came with both English and Japanese in TrueHD 5.1 while extras were on a separate DVD.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
There was the Girl Who Leapt Through Space. I liked that one.

Well Sentai has The Girl Who Leapt Through Space and the only reason that hasn't been released yet is because of the same Sunrise-related issues that has affected Big O & S-Cry-Ed for them and also Code Geass & Escaflowne for FUNi along with other Sunrise titles that they both picked up a few years ago.

One-Eye wrote:
In case people want to know it came with both English and Japanese in TrueHD 5.1 while extras were on a separate DVD.

Those same extras on the bonus disc originally being from the Limited Edition DVD.

Yeah, I own the Bandai BD myself along with the also OOP, Media Blasters' DVD of the live-action film (which should have gotten on BD too Mad) so this "news" is no big deal to me. The only way I'll buy this film a third time (because I used to own Bandai's regular edition DVD) is if all of the bonus DVD's extras are included on the BD.
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Mune wrote:

There has been no region 1 Blu-ray with an English language or subtitle track to date.

If Funimation does license and release it, many fans will be very happy.
There has been a region A/1 blu ray, its just out of print and almost impossible to find. release#18441

My bad.
I've been looking for the Blu-Ray and Amazon.com always seems to have a way of misleading me and I owned it at the time of this release, making it a poor choice to buy the Blu-Ray when I already had the limited edition DVD.

Either way, the Blu-Ray is about $150 and the DVD is about $110, both on Amazon.com. Considering that these were both released with a MSRP of $30 (basic DVD) - $50 (limited edition DVD), with the Blu-Ray falling in the middle, this title has grown in massively in price- unlike some of Bandai's other titles with similar circumstances.

Even if Funimation licenses The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, it does not guarantee a release. This can be observed with their acquisition of several titles from more than a year ago like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star.

I just hope it gets licensed and physically distributed, as many fans still want this title at a cost less than $100.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
I own the SE DVD (and got it signed by Hosoda)

But it's a real shame that such a great movie is OOP. Let's hope Funimation is really working on getting the license.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

Either way, the Blu-Ray is about $150 and the DVD is about $110, both on Amazon.com. Considering that these were both released with a MSRP of $30 (basic DVD) - $50 (limited edition DVD), with the Blu-Ray falling in the middle, this title has grown in massively in price- unlike some of Bandai's other titles with similar circumstances.

Part of the reason for that is that I don't think it sold all that well back then. Back when it was still a recent release, I got my special limited edition box set from Best Buy for over 50% off. There were half a dozen of the limited edition boxes on the shelf, and it was actually cheaper than the regular version. The regular DVD was also discounted (but not as heavily), and I don't think they had the BluRay in stock (though they didn't usually have anime on BluRay in my store at the time).

I assume they were on clearance because they weren't moving, so maybe there aren't actually all that many in circulation. -Of the BluRay and limited edition versions, anyway.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Bandai had some really good shows, it's weird that not all got license rescued. And those that did, aren't even re-released (with the exception of a few). Like why is Haruhi not re-released yet, why is the Big O not re-released yet, why is Code Geass not re-released?

I understand Gundam not being rescued, but what about stuff like Wolf's Rain? Or this movie.

Licensing is hard, but some of these shows seem like money printers, I would fight hard to acquire them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
@Triltaison

According to the encyclopedia, the DVD (and LE) version was issued in November 2008. The Bluray version was not issued until April 2011 almost 2 1/2 years later. That would explain why you didn't see them on the shelves together.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
To those implying that Funimation and Sentai are not interested in releasing their Sunrise rescues, I am sure it is more related to not having clearance from the licensors.

Like others have said, several of the rescues would be very profitable. And I doubt Funimation and Sentai want to leave money on the table.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this is just a cover up for leaking that they picked it up too soon. Heard great things about it and would love to see it and the dub but the bluray is OoP and expensive and I don't watch what I don't own.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will get re-released. I still have Bandai release. I have purchased just about all of Mamoru Hosoda's films. If you haven't seen this film YOU SHOULD.
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

I understand Gundam not being rescued

I'm pretty sure that Nazomi Entertainment rescued Gundam as it was in the news about 6 months ago.

Other anime companies are saving series from Bandai, it is just taking a while.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

I've never bought the movie because, well, it's ending came of as "plot induced stupidity" to me.
Roger that. I got the R2 DVD and I too was wondering what happened to the actual ending. It's like they forgot to put it in before releasing it. Half baked. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2