• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Supernerds: Civil War

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Man, you really can't have Daryl Surat talk about Sunrise/Gundam on an anime podcast these days without him immediately dismissing whatever popular shows from that studio didn't happen to suit his fancy.

Keep in mind that the person who is now complaining about illogical rollercoasters is the same dude who has a far more generous stance towards Samurai Flamenco, which was literally the wildest ride in years and has absolutely no shortage of plot twists, randomly switching tones, silly characters and crazy story arcs with little rhyme or reason.

I don't even hate Samurai Flamenco, but the irony of this situation is worth pointing out.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

Keep in mind that the person who is now complaining about illogical rollercoasters is the same dude who has a far more generous stance towards Samurai Flamenco, which was literally the wildest ride in years and has absolutely no shortage of plot twists, randomly switching tones, silly characters and crazy story arcs with little rhyme or reason.

I don't even hate Samurai Flamenco, but the irony of this situation is worth pointing out.

Well, it's arguable that chaos is intentional and the point. Flamenco is about a tokusatsu nut having his fantasy brought to life. On the other hand, if a title comes off as meaning to be "serious" and / or to have a coherent narrative but misfires, well. That's a misfire.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
That bit about Right Stuf's Canadian shipping was pretty funny.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

Well, it's arguable that chaos is intentional and the point. Flamenco is about a tokusatsu nut having his fantasy brought to life. On the other hand, if a title comes off as meaning to be "serious" and / or to have a coherent narrative but misfires, well. That's a misfire.

There are, however, plenty of instances of intentional chaos and/or lack of seriousness in several of the Sunrise shows mentioned. It is very hard to deny that. Yet some people still do so.

In fact, the criticism itself happens to indirectly suggest the use of such devices became a trend, which precisely supports the argument that it is being done deliberately and not as a "misfire" like you claim.

The human beings who make these shows aren't, at least not as a general rule, somehow supposed to be mentally challenged. They've all seen exactly how the public reacts to their rollercoaster productions with varying degrees of shock, awe, amusement, anger or WTF.

Just as it can be easily argued that Samurai Flamenco also tries to be "serious" and coherent at different points in time. And then things just go crazy and the resulting audience reaction was usually very similar to what I've just described.

If that show can have it both ways, then it's ridiculous to use a different measuring stick in other cases. I think it's more of a difference based on personal pet-peeves and subject matter, not because of objective authorial intent. There are surely variations in execution too, from case to case, but since this is not what the general criticism was talking about, I won't rush to address it.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
On Anno and Evangelion pressure I found this pretty moving.

Quote:
More recently, Miyazaki told Anno that it was OK if he quit, but immediately afterward said, "No, it's best if you do it. Because you said you'd try your hardest to the end, you will accomplish it." While talking about the fourth Evangelion film, Anno said while wiping away tears, "Even now, when I remember it, I cry. It's really painful to remember."

I guess I'll have to give Turn A another shot at this point. When I first watched it I liked the world-building but all the characters felt like cardboard archetypes. Since Toole, Surat, and Creamer gave it glowing reviews I'll check it out again.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I know only one example of a second cour that was better than the first where it wasn't based off an existing work.

Princess Tutu. Aside from that... eh.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD! Did he just say that World Trigger is a CARTOON?!!

BRING OUT THE TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!!!
unitmikey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess I'm still one of the crazy ones that loves Eva 3 and thinks it's better than 2.0. It has great animation and two nice action sequences book-ending a well developed, bizarre middle part that actually gets to a lot of material that wasn't largely focused on story points we have already seen from the first series.

Anyway I do need really need to remember to start that lonely drinking lady show. Like ASAP.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Fun Super Nerds episode as usual guys.

What a coincedence; I just finished watching my DVD's of Turn A Gundam. It can be an uneven and very weird show, but I am satisfied with the whole experience. And yes it is a show with a slow start that to me takes about 10 episodes to really get going.

And I am willing to say that Lupin III, Part IV is the best Lupin ever made. I have watched only a fraction of the whole anime franchise, but part IV to me is the best because it uses the style of the first TV series as a base, incorporates some of the the edginess from A Woman Called Fujiko Mine and can be entertaining in the style of Castle of Cagliostro.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
I have a hard time believing you guys can talk about Turn-A Gundam without mentioning the Yoko Kanno soundtrack. I think it is one of her best.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
The problem is with the fall of Blockbuster videostores their brick and mortar and Video Ave. dropping it's anime section other than Toonami on cable or Hulu on streaming. I will have to buy via the postal service anime especially Hentai adult anime. Crying or Very sad
LetsEatRamen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese romanisation of ufotable is pronounced "Yuufotable"
I always thought it was "oofotable."
UFO Table though. Laughing

I can't disagree with KyoAni pretty much being the top... But I'm going to go hide in my Shaft corner over there...
RHorsman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"...that's got me and Justin doing a commentary track..."

And here I was wondering if the Night on the Galactic Railroad BD was going to at least have that essay Justin wrote for the CPM release. Awesome!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
Fair point that Aniplex's various shows are generally available streaming, and that softens the blow of their high prices for physical media, though it kind of begs the question: once they take back Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, etc, should we expect to see that show up on Aniplex Channel or Daisuki or something? Or will this be the beginning of a period of deliberate unavailability? Similarly, while their existing shows are generally streamable, Aniplex movies are hit and miss: you can see Expelled from Paradise on Netflix, but not the Anohana movie.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Fair point that Aniplex's various shows are generally available streaming, and that softens the blow of their high prices for physical media.....

Legally streaming or not, all anime shows are available on the net through one means or another. Streaming merely make things easier for people who want to watch, but not own.

So no blow is softened. For hard core collectors and those who want to own, high prices are high prices. The ability to stream makes no impact on that financial decision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2