• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Berserk Anime's Promo Features Susumu Hirasawa's Insert Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
ICO44 wrote:
To those who say they are okay with CGI, think about if One punch man was CGI instead beautifully 2D animation we got. I bet lot of people would have been dissapointed.

Given how One Punch Man's panels were often turned into animated gifs by some enterprising individuals it would've been ironic if they didmake it in CG.....but the butthurt would've been like heaven on earth.

Ulinox wrote:
I just hope when it's released and the larger fan outcry begins that a real studio considers picking it up for a reboot.

Yeah which people will probably take issue with for either using a cast
they don't like, editing or altering scenes even relatively insignificant ones , having the occassional dip in quality in the animation, or the composer getting a little bit cute with his material or being another
retelling of something they are already familiar with.

So many ways to potentially draw ire from the more over top segment
of the Berserk fandom.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Having CG is fine as long as it meshes well with the traditional animation and actually looks good. This doesn't. You must have no understanding at all of animation production if you think this is the best they can do with a manga like Berserk. I just hope when it's released and the larger fan outcry begins that a real studio considers picking it up for a reboot.

As I'm finishing up the recent Utawarerumono, I realize that a Berserk anime doesn't need to be ufotable quality, even something on the level of that anime is adequate. It's not the most expensive looking show, yet it doesn't exactly look cheap or non-animated like KonoSuba. It's not like there's only a choice between Unlimited Blade Works and what we're likely going to end up with, you have a wide range of budgets that allow pretty most much manga adaptations to end up looking juuuusst fine. Except for Kaoru Mori stuff, that's on another level.

We why keep seeing Berserk stuck with CG, and not even good anime CG, is bewildering. Those movies did not do well in Japan. And if this is caused by the international markets responding better than Japan did, and acting as the driving force behind this decision, then those markets really screwed themselves over.
ikramit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
I love how those who claim that people not liking the animation quality are being unreasonable then go on to immediately construct straw man arguments.
gutsrager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
I love how almost everyone is conveniently ignoring how cheap, lousy and never came close to the detail of the Manga the first Berserk anime animation was using recycled animation, tons of watercolors and still no Puck, Wyald or most important Skull Knight. Great job Oriental Light & Magic, your first work on Pokemon was awesome! Laughing Then Berserk followed. Shocked
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
No one ignores it. I fully acknowledge the shortcomings of the 1997 anime, and still prefer them to what we've gotten recently.
gutsrager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
Yes, every single person has except one besides me. I watched the anime before ever reading the manga and noticed the huge gaping plothole (which I despise more then anything). How the hell did Guts get out of that never ending nightmare and what happened to Casca? I felt cheated and uncompeled to read the manga at this point. So I heard about the movies and watched them. The only thing that annoyed me was less story and not the cgi (I'm in the minority I realize). That was until the 3rd movie and the glorious Skull Knight that filled in that gainax ending of the anime. Then I read the manga and enjoyed it, with it's brutality, story and rich art. So if Im a bit fond of the movies (the 3rd one anyways) that's my reason why.

Most people on here are just into bashing the latest anime adaptation of Berserk down to a microscopic level failing to recognize it has far more in common with the original anime then Studio 4C reboot. Oriental Light & Magic had 1, 1, I repeat 1 anime before before Berserk: Pokemon. Can you even imagine the ridicule
that kind of announcement would face today? Oh wait, that's already happened with Tekyuu 4... All the other shortcut's they took just to meet the razor thin budget is the equivalant of cgi today (for the record I do love good 2d and 3d that enhances the animation and is seamless) and the omission of important characters *ahem* to make for a more complete ending. Most cannot get past the cgi to make the connection, I realized it once I did a bit of research on the 2d studio. MINDLESS BASHING AGAIN! Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
I don't follow. I've also read the manga; the movies still suck, the 1997 anime even with all of the drawbacks and flaws and missing pieces is still better.
gutsrager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
Did you read the manga before watching the anime? If you did you already knew the story and knew that no human could ever escape the astral plane of the eclipse. The anime completely cut out the only one who could break through this intersice to rescue Guts and Casca.
Instead the anime left with Casca being violated.... and then a cutscene (no explanation) to Guts as the Black Swordsman getting handed some sword by Godo...

The Movies you bash because of cgi, well I don't care as I said before as movie 3 got me into the manga and it was ironically much closer to the manga where it mattered the most.

Big Plotholes have always sucked in every medium

Last edited by gutsrager on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
@Ulinox Since when do studios care about "fans" or internet reactions. Money is money and the last Berserk films bombed, so this one either brings in the Yen or the adaptation train stops for another decade, which is 100% fine with me. The films more than managed to advertise the source materiel and the manga is where it´s @. The increase in Miura´s role for the adaptation process will only slow him down which will then lead to even more complains... I said it once and will say it again. A series with a focus on large scale battles or scope in general (Berserk is Gustave Doré the manga!) can´t work on a Japanese/midnight TV budget without heaps of CG.
OVAs are a different discussion but that format has been sadly dead for years and Berserk proved to be cinematic poison (not that they had a high budget) so low budget TV anime it is. I once again have no problems to go back to the 90s anime but have zero interest to see endless hate speeches why Berserk has now been turned into a motion comic. Man, the producers are doomed regardless. Gotta love this "fanbase"... Rolling Eyes See you all for the pilot, that tread will be a beast!
PS: Cg animation is also done by hand. I'm just Saiyan and the PS2 game had in-engine cut-scenes which were very well received by fans. (That director needs to come back.)

Frogot: Reddit liked this trailer. Not that i care but still.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the double post but i wanted a clear break and found this hight informative promo piece on skullknight.net

We may get a more accurate adaptation than some would expect and they managed to "fix" Gut´s armor since the early previews. Hyper is rising?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
@Valhern, that's a good point about the change in his character designs. The old Band of the Hawk crew looked more like "normal" people or had less exaggerated features than the current cast. My guess is that the more stylized designs for Farnese, Schierke, Mozgus, etc. fit better as Berserk has incorporated more and more fantasy elements.

@Souther, I agree, worst case scenario, they cut the Lost Children chapter entirely, and most of the Binding Chain chapter. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing. I'd be okay with that and doing a rushed introduction for Isidro, Farnese, Serpico, etc. if it leaves enough room for the rest of the Conviction arc. I'm really curious on how they handle the first couple episodes. Like you said, they need some way to explain spoiler[the demon baby, his arm, Casca's mental condition, etc.]. Are they gonna cram it all in the first episode or two, or will they try to spread it out?

danpmss wrote:
The popularity of the manga or just how many copies it sold is irrelevant (the Blu Ray/DVD sales and the box office are what really matters, and we all know the numbers weren't really good for a movie standards in Japan (even counting the much cheaper DVD and Bluray worldwide).

Yeah, a lot of people don't understand that the anime market and audience is a lot different than the manga audience. The success of the Berserk anime will be determined by the audience for the anime, not the manga readers.
ikramit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
You're saying there's no cross section between the very large manga fan base and those who would potentially buy the anime DVDS/Blu Rays if the anime looked good emphasis on looking good which the movies didn't from the get go.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
@Valhern, that's a good point about the change in his character designs. The old Band of the Hawk crew looked more like "normal" people or had less exaggerated features than the current cast. My guess is that the more stylized designs for Farnese, Schierke, Mozgus, etc. fit better as Berserk has incorporated more and more fantasy elements.

And it's for the better, design wise and plot wise. Many people paint the world of Berserk as a hellmaze of dark imagery and brutal graphicness but that's actually more on the end of Golden Age arc and carries a bit to the Conviction arc. I don't think Miura is asked to "tone it down" like some say, it's actually him getting better as an author without the need of shock value for telling story and deepen the lore, Berserk feels more like a lovecraftian world after the Golden Age arc, with very interesting takes on fantastical creatures.

By the way, they could explain those plot points from the movie with cleverly put flashbacks in the encounter with spoiler[Femto].

CoreSignal wrote:
Yeah, a lot of people don't understand that the anime market and audience is a lot different than the manga audience. The success of the Berserk anime will be determined by the audience for the anime, not the manga readers.

Actually, no. Except when it's an original anime, an anime is done to promote the source material and different related merchandise. Most of the times, on average, the studio covers the production cost with BD/DVD, it's certainly bad news when the sales are extremely low, but having particularly high sales is actually rare, you don't exactly need the highest product quality for it to sell that well, it relies more on the pre-existing fanbase and it expects for manga sales to rise as much as possible, that's good news for the studio, since people want more of that story to be animated. The studios usually aim for gain, that's a given, but an equally important aim is to mantain themselves, and not rush sucess, instead wait for it to come, one season you will make a hit.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
I don't think Miura is asked to "tone it down" like some say, it's actually him getting better as an author without the need of shock value for telling story and deepen the lore, Berserk feels more like a lovecraftian world after the Golden Age arc, with very interesting takes on fantastical creatures.

One unfortunate consequence of only having the Golden Age arc adapted all these years is that a lot of non-manga readers assume that the rest of the Berserk is like the Golden Age arc. There's plenty of anime-only or anime-first Berserk fans who complain that post-Golden Age Berserk isn't "dark" anymore or that it's turned into a generic fantasy adventure. The fantasy elements have always been there, they've just gradually come to the forefront as the story has progressed.

@ikramit, see my response to Valhern below.

Valhern wrote:
Actually, no. Except when it's an original anime, an anime is done to promote the source material and different related merchandise. Most of the times, on average, the studio covers the production cost with BD/DVD, it's certainly bad news when the sales are extremely low, but having particularly high sales is actually rare, you don't exactly need the highest product quality for it to sell that well, it relies more on the pre-existing fanbase and it expects for manga sales to rise as much as possible, that's good news for the studio, since people want more of that story to be animated. The studios usually aim for gain, that's a given, but an equally important aim is to mantain themselves, and not rush sucess, instead wait for it to come, one season you will make a hit.

Nevermind. I saw a post on another forum about a second season based on the reception to the first and I misread it as a news item. Otherwise, my point to ikramit was that the manga fanbase is only one section of the anime audience. They may be the majority audience but people who have only seen the movies or have never heard of Berserk but are interested will also be watching the new anime as well. After all, the anime will have a wider reach than the manga .My only question is why the 15 year gap between the '97 tv series and the (first) movie? I'm assuming the manga fanbase was already pretty big during the 2000s so I wonder why nobody adapted Berserk during that decade and a half.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Nevermind. I saw a post on another forum about a second season based on the reception to the first and I misread it as a news item. Otherwise, my point to ikramit was that the manga fanbase is only one section of the anime audience. They may be the majority audience but people who have only seen the movies or have never heard of Berserk but are interested will also be watching the new anime as well. After all, the anime will have a wider reach than the manga .My only question is why the 15 year gap between the '97 tv series and the (first) movie? I'm assuming the manga fanbase was already pretty big during the 2000s so I wonder why nobody adapted Berserk during that decade and a half.

Look, I would be scared shitless if they told me as a producer "Hey, you have to adapt Berserk". Not only you have to deal with fans nitpick, Miura sets you such a high bar to meet that you will fall behind no matter what, I mean, I'd shoot my own hand if I had to draw (let alone model) something like the armies Miura draws, every goddamn sword, armor, helmet, HORSE is different. Thank God those horses didn't shit because even the crap would have specific design.

And it doesn't stop there. You have an inconclusive story past the Golden Age arc. With a properly managed ending, you can just finish with the Black Swordsman beginning, not satisfactory, but more or less cohesive. All arcs after Golden Age aren't as conclusive. Add to that the constant hiatus that wouldn't allow for enough material to adapt.

The only choice you have is adapt until you can (in this case, it should end uh...around when Guts spoiler[GETS OFF THE BOAT!]) and pick up where you left. Madhouse's attempt with HxH shows how risky it is: 148 episodes (three years and a bit more) of an unfinished story, nothing tells you that there will ever be more material or that you will be even able to adapt it by then, even less that it will be profitable. Luckily, HxH ends in some sort of possible ending point, but we don't know if, two years or so from now, Berserk will have the same luck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8