• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beholder242

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
beholder242 wrote:
One thing I really liked was the amount of character development and growing up that happened off-screen, during the time skip. Rokuro definitely seems like he's maturing and "manning up", likely to try to be the sort of future husband he should be for Benio, and Benio seems to be opening up to the possibilities with Rokuro too, despite the embarassment she felt after letting her guard down more than usual when she talked with Rokuro about having a baby together. Makes me wonder a little bit how long we're going to wait in the anime for their first kiss?

I should point out that I have not read the manga, so have no idea how things developed there. Sae is an interesting mystery, though. I'm curious to see how this will play out.

After having watched this all the way through, I do have a couple of questions that maybe the others here could clear up for me. For example, what exactly ARE the Kegare? What are their motivations? It seems like they do prey on humans, dragging them into Magano now and then. Is that it or more to it? I've heard of the Kegare also being referred to as "impurities"? I've perceived them as some sort of demonic spirit, hence the need for "exorcists".

Impurities, or Kegare, are malignant creatures born from the hatred and negativity of humanity. As long as the plane of Magano exists for them to coalesce in, they will always exist and fulfill the negativity they're made of - by killing people.

OK, that really helps me. It wasn't very clearly explained in the anime, or I just missed it. Either way, thanks!
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
beholder242 wrote:
One thing I really liked was the amount of character development and growing up that happened off-screen, during the time skip. Rokuro definitely seems like he's maturing and "manning up", likely to try to be the sort of future husband he should be for Benio, and Benio seems to be opening up to the possibilities with Rokuro too, despite the embarassment she felt after letting her guard down more than usual when she talked with Rokuro about having a baby together. Makes me wonder a little bit how long we're going to wait in the anime for their first kiss?

I should point out that I have not read the manga, so have no idea how things developed there. Sae is an interesting mystery, though. I'm curious to see how this will play out.

After having watched this all the way through, I do have a couple of questions that maybe the others here could clear up for me. For example, what exactly ARE the Kegare? What are their motivations? It seems like they do prey on humans, dragging them into Magano now and then. Is that it or more to it? I've heard of the Kegare also being referred to as "impurities"? I've perceived them as some sort of demonic spirit, hence the need for "exorcists".

Impurities, or Kegare, are malignant creatures born from the hatred and negativity of humanity. As long as the plane of Magano exists for them to coalesce in, they will always exist and fulfill the negativity they're made of - by killing people.

OK, that really helps me. It wasn't very clearly explained in the anime, or I just missed it. Either way, thanks!

I think a big part of this is the fact that kegare is a Shinto concept that a lot of the Japanese audience would probably be familiar with. Within the confines of the religion, kegare refers to the core concepts of impurity and corruption (this is an oversimplification, of course). While I'm obviously speaking with an amateurish knowledge of Japanese religion and culture, I feel like it would be very roughly similar if a story from in the West featured enemies called "Sin Monsters", or some such.

While I'm still personally quite eager to learn a little bit more about the basic functionality and motivations of the Kegare, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that came from my lack of in-depth knowledge regarding traditional Japanese folklore and customs.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I seriously like the manga(I read up to chapter 16), because besides being a blend of multiple ideas from other shonen series(Soul Eater, Bleach, Noragami, Blue Exorcist maybe...), sometimes it subverts the expectations in good ways. Also is at its core, an action romcom. Sounds weird, really.

Call me an offender of the manga, but despite what it has good, there are some notable flaws that obviously the director of the series emphasized in adaptation, like the power-ups and Mayura feeling like jealous of not being with Rokuro.

However(again, if you think I´m offending the manga), the anime does some good things with the source. The death of Fushihara, at least for me, felt like the death of any possed by a kegare, while here we have some context of his death. Ryogo feel here a liiiiitle bit like a young man instead of a workaholic exorcist with the introduction of Haruka. And the power-up of Rokuro at episode 20, I think that they willput it later like a trained transformation. If they put the whole transformation for longer, instead of a brief intro, it would´ve felt more obvious of a power-up.

I am more of the person who thinks that not all adaptations have to be faithful(or copy pasted) to the source material, so if some changes are good, why do we have to talk about the argument of Manga VS Anime? Yeah, I know Pierrot has awful fillers but I´m only stating a point.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
The episode was alright and Suzu seems like she could be an interesting character later on but the second hand embarrassment during the dance segment was unreal. ಠ_ಠ
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
A boom box like really? What era this Isuzu girl think they r living in..THE 1980s?!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
lol Basura. It's Basara. Now I'm going to keep thinking of them as garbage...
Australian JRPG Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
A mini rock concert was an interesting way for her to introduce herself.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
So no manga fans commenting because the htink they know better? These filler episodes are interesting enough, but if always is gonna be the same "They are ruining the manga" bullcrap...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
Settle down. Save your argument for where it really is happening. Also you may want to consider proofreading.

Edit: *sigh* never mind. Except about the proofreading. Do do that

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So no manga fans commenting because the htink they know better? These filler episodes are interesting enough, but if always is gonna be the same "They are ruining the manga" bullcrap...

Probably because they kinda are messing this series up. I just don't understand why you would choose to adapt a series into 50 episodes when you know there is nowhere close to enough source material to go through. Where the hell were these 50 episodes when they were adapting Tokyo Ghoul? Could have prevented that show from being crap. Anyhow, they choose to change the order of events, add a ton of filler, add an obnoxiously annoying mascot character, and even when they do choose to adapt the source material, its sometimes missing important details. Don't get me wrong, when the episodes lean more towards the source they are quite enjoyable. Natsuki Hanae and Megumi Han both do a fantastic job voicing Rokuro and Benio. But in the end, you cant ignore the flaws with this show. TBH, this show should have been 12-13 episodes adapting the first 18 chapters of the manga, and then maybe get a season 2 starting right at the time skip when enough material was made.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The sight of a lone girl trying to reconnect with her father on the other side of the barricade reminds us of the human cost of this fight that Benio and Rokuro are embroiled in. Sure it's a little cheap, but not overdone, and when Benio finds that same girl's tattered clothes amongst a pile of ashen corpses, there's an honest sense of weight there.

Actually, she is trying to find her friend, and her friend is presumably the body they find (rather the same uniform as the girl was wearing at least as we do not know what her friend looked like).

If your interpretation were correct, that would show great incompetence on the part of the exorcists, either allowing the girl into the unsafe area where I believe they found Moro, or else allowing a Basara to attack the safe area, calling into question their ability to protect the safer areas or else properly judge which areas were safe or unsafe.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Quote:

Probably because they kinda are messing this series up. I just don't understand why you would choose to adapt a series into 50 episodes when you know there is nowhere close to enough source material to go through. Where the hell were these 50 episodes when they were adapting Tokyo Ghoul? Could have prevented that show from being crap. Anyhow, they choose to change the order of events, add a ton of filler, add an obnoxiously annoying mascot character, and even when they do choose to adapt the source material, its sometimes missing important details. Don't get me wrong, when the episodes lean more towards the source they are quite enjoyable. Natsuki Hanae and Megumi Han both do a fantastic job voicing Rokuro and Benio. But in the end, you cant ignore the flaws with this show. TBH, this show should have been 12-13 episodes adapting the first 18 chapters of the manga, and then maybe get a season 2 starting right at the time skip when enough material was made.

You really have to watch the episode reviews to see that they aren´t doing bad fillers this time. But I suppose that´s what happens when people want the adaptation to be an exact copy of the manga instead of expanding on it(which is what the latest episodes are doing, expanding in some of the unexplored concepts of the manga).

I seriously like the manga(I read up to chapter 16), because besides being a blend of multiple ideas from other shonen series(Soul Eater, Bleach, Noragami, Blue Exorcist maybe...), sometimes it subverts the expectations in good ways. Also is at its core, an action romcom. Sounds weird, really.

Call me an offender of the manga, but despite what it has good, there are some notable flaws that obviously the director of the series emphasized in adaptation, like the power-ups and Mayura feeling like jealous of not being with Rokuro. And in the manga Benio now is a little useless.

However(again, if you think I´m offending the manga), the anime does some good things with the source. The death of Fushihara, at least for me, felt like the death of any possed by a kegare, while here we have some context of his death. Ryogo feel here a liiiiitle bit like a young man instead of a workaholic exorcist with the introduction of Haruka. And the power-up of Rokuro at episode 20, I think that they willput it later like a trained transformation. If they put the whole transformation for longer, instead of a brief intro, it would´ve felt more obvious of a power-up. And these latest episodes expand on the Basara a little bit more, and puts our protagonists to practice for when they have the baby with Sae, so people thinking that all fillers or Pierrot are horrible should open more their minds

I am more of the person who thinks that not all adaptations have to be faithful(or copy pasted) to the source material, so if some changes are good, why do we have to talk about the argument of Manga VS Anime? Yeah, I know Pierrot has awful fillers but I´m only stating a point.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Quote:

Tokyo Ghoul because I was the first season to publicize the manga. Twin Star Exorcists is funded by TV Tokyo, and the contract was for 50 chapters. Tokyo Ghoul is a mediocre manga, and had to fix that with good animation. Tokyo Ghoul in the first season did not miss anything important, very different thing happens with this anime re zero if omitted important things for the following arcs. And the things that were omitted from Twin Star Exorcists, were added later in the chapters filler. Do not confuse it with the censorship that had the anime with respect to the manga by child schedule.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed episode 24 too. Even if the artwork is not that great, and Leo was more of a plot device, it was kind of cute.
beholder242

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
The best parts of #24 were Benio and Rokuro in the minicamper... When Rokuro talks about taking Mayura to the amusement park and Benio's reaction... Do I sense a bit of jealousy coming from Benio? Wink Benio's reaction to the origami ohagi was priceless too.

For as little that they really had to do in this episode, those were some really good character-building moments. I'm starting to feel like I keep tuning in just to watch how that relationship keeps developing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 16