• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
South East Asia Feedback

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
How are we doing ?
c933103

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
the S.E.Asia version of ANN is supposed to cover Hong Kong but in the past few months tons of events have been taken place in Hong Kong which ANN covered none?
JR-1

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I know it's still relatively new, and I don't know how much resource can ANN spare for additional regional coverage, but it already has a good start.

For now I see what you got is news regarding film screenings, manga licenses, and big regional events. I think this is enough already, as most anime-related news that gets read is pretty much the same everywhere (Japan interest feed, breaking news from Japan); but if you want to add more...

More features. How about something like "How to watch anime legally and your choices." Piracy is still the common way of viewing. Crunchyroll, which has the most visibility here thanks to their interest feed, most of their catalogue are not available here. I don't think many people even know about Daisuki, which is available here. Also, regional events coverage and film screening reviews.

As for regional language, I personally don't think it's a worthwhile effort to translate into local language (though I guess the survey will provide some objective data). Most of those who read anime news regularly are at least proficient enough to read in English.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
c933103 wrote:
the S.E.Asia version of ANN is supposed to cover Hong Kong but in the past few months tons of events have been taken place in Hong Kong which ANN covered none?

Unfortunately we don't cover most events. As in we don't go to them. This is the same in North America, we only cover a couple of the biggest events every year.

However, we do want to write the news about the events (The announcements of the dates, guests, programming, etc...). We're still getting used to the market, so if you see things that we've missed, send us an e-mail at [email protected] and it will help us pay attention to that news source in the future.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
c933103 wrote:
I've just spoken with Rafael and he informed me that it has been challenging to find HK news, partially because of the language barrier. We're going to have to work on that.

-t
c933103

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
I see...

but in the survey's language section, why there are multiple options with identical description? For example Chinese/Mon

and can you guys contact major publishers for manga/light novel as well as major anime broadcaster in HK,and do you guys at least have some idea about what are the major anime-related events in HK?Do you guys aware of neofilms and MCL are constantly bringing anime movie to HK and Youmen cafe is in constant cooperation with animate to bring animate cafe to HK?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
c933103 wrote:
but in the survey's language section, why there are multiple options with identical description? For example Chinese/Mon
Hmm, no idea how that happened. I've merged them.

Quote:
and can you guys contact major publishers for manga/light novel as well as major anime broadcaster in HK,and do you guys at least have some idea about what are the major anime-related events in HK?Do you guys aware of neofilms and MCL are constantly bringing anime movie to HK and Youmen cafe is in constant cooperation with animate to bring animate cafe to HK?
I'm actually aware of none of that (I'm not involved in the journalism process), but I'm pretty certain that Rafael is aware of at least some of it.

But you just game me an interesting idea....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1