• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Would An American Creator Have Control Over Their Anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeydoa

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
E. E. "Doc" Smith died in 1965. How could he be unhappy with the 1985 anime series?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
E. E. "Doc" Smith died in 1965. How could he be unhappy with the 1985 anime series?

Spinning in his grave, maybe? Or more likely, an unhappy executor.

The response Ursula K. LeGuin wrote on seeing "Gedo Senki" the first time is still up, btw.
cxt217

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
joeydoa wrote:

Spinning in his grave, maybe? Or more likely, an unhappy executor.

Namely, Smith's daughter who was serving as the executor of his estate. She was far more than just 'unhappy' over the anime adaptations and was very vocal about it.
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
If I remember, Deltora Quest was made in an anime because the creator didn't want a movie that would change the content, since they were the only studio that promised to change nothing.

They did add 13 episodes due to the popularity, but I heard the creator really liked it.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
most will quietly give the work to its least qualified production team.

Well, that explains Zoids Fuzors. Sad

The stuff about Earthsea made me think, has Diana Wynne Jones ever said anything about the Howl's Moving Castle anime? I actually liked the movie better, but it is quite different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
cxt217 wrote:
Namely, Smith's daughter who was serving as the executor of his estate. She was far more than just 'unhappy' over the anime adaptations and was very vocal about it.

The Streamline dub of the Kawajiri-directed movie was everywhere when I was first getting into anime. It's a mess, indeed; always wondered if the TV series turned out any better, but that never hit American shores AFAIK.

Wonder if Heinlein ever saw or had anything to say about the "Starship Troopers" OVA.

rizuchan wrote:
The stuff about Earthsea made me think, has Diana Wynne Jones ever said anything about the Howl's Moving Castle anime? I actually liked the movie better, but it is quite different.

I'm sure I saw an interview with her about it somewhere; maybe a print source. I don't remember the details, but my impression was that she was being...diplomatic. The movie's actually pretty close to the book up to the halfway mark, then takes a 90-degree turn away from it. I'd sure love to visit a parallel universe where I could check out and compare the Mamoru Hosoda version that never was.

[EDIT: Do not double-post ~Zalis]
Zendervai

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I believe Diana Wynne Jones' opinion was basically "I liked it, but it wasn't really what I wrote."

There was a thing later where she said that she would have liked more it if it was closer to her book, but ultimately she was happy that the movie was made. I do know that later printings of the original book changed the description of the castle. Originally it floated like three feet off the ground, but in later printings, it has legs.

I think it helps that Ghibli apparently never promised to make a really accurate adaptation.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:

Hm? Was that commissioned by an American company after the relative success of Zoids on Cartoon Network, or something? I had no idea.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
What would Shakespeare say about Blast of Tempest or Romeo x Juliet?
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
What about the marvel stuff?
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:

Hm? Was that commissioned by an American company after the relative success of Zoids on Cartoon Network, or something? I had no idea.

From what I remember of that show, it was relegated to a lesser studio called Tokyo Kids instead of Xebec which handled the previous Zoids anime. It was also one of the few anime that were broadcasted in the US before Japan. Yeah, it seemed like they were banking on the toys judging from the lack of effort that was evident from Fuzors. Not surprisingly, it killed interest in the West.

Quote:
What would Shakespeare say about Blast of Tempest or Romeo x Juliet?

Not much is really known about his personality, but he'd probably plow through tons of live action stuff until he reaches that point.

As for George R.R. Martin, judging how he treats his obsessive fans like pests and how he hates fanfiction, the prospects of a GoT anime remain slim at best.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
What about the marvel stuff?

Marvel probably kept them on a tight leash. When Capcom was making Marvel VS Capcom 3, a few of the developers commented how anal Marvel was when it came to how they made the game (certain characters needed to move a certain way) They seemed to really want to appease Marvel when it came to handling their characters.

Conversely, western creators generally don't have much control or input on their own works in the west though. It seems like most input creators have with cartoons are making up the characters and concept. The actual episodes and writing is done by the studio and their team of writers. It's one of the reasons I never got why people care so much about creators in western productions. Lauren Faust is treated as some kind of goddess in the MLP fandom, but she left the show after a dozen or so episodes and the majority of the series is entirely Hasbro, yet people still attribute everything to her.

Then you have shows like Powerpuff Girls Z which was greenlit by Cartoon Network Japan, not Craig McCracken himself. And given he has no ties to the current American reboot, I imagine he doesn't really have anything to do with the franchise at all if he ever did.

-Stuart Smith
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:

I was going to ask something similar. For something that "doesn't happen very often", Ghibli seems to do a lot more adaptation of western material than anyone else. Is that simply because they have always had that much ambition and clout, or did it accelerate after the Disney distribution deal?
cxt217

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
cxt217 wrote:

The Streamline dub of the Kawajiri-directed movie was everywhere when I was first getting into anime. It's a mess, indeed; always wondered if the TV series turned out any better, but that never hit American shores AFAIK.

Wonder if Heinlein ever saw or had anything to say about the "Starship Troopers" OVA.

The Starship Troopers OVA came out several months after Heinlein passed away. Given how the licensing process seem to the work, the Western creator would not have known anything about how the production was going until it was released.

The Lensman US release was one of those stories that is still interesting despite the age, if for no other reason than due to Smith's daughter being rather colorful in her opinion of it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
There's a video interview with Dianna Wynne Jones. I remember her commenting on the war being a passing mention in the book and a major factor in the film, to the effect of "well, Miyazaki has to have his flying machines..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3