• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Licenses Chihiro Ishizuka's Flying Witch Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muffum

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I put Flying Witch as one of my choices on that licensing survey they had recently, but I didn't think it'd ever actually happen. Nice.

Shame it's so far away, but I guess I'll at least be collecting the anime BDs in the interim to tide myself over.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised by the anime, so I'll be purchasing the manga volumes!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Sweet this is such a good manga its about time that someone got this one
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Another Kodansha manga stolen from Kodansha USA. What's going on with them? Are they so obsessed with their cash cows that they've forgotten that other good Kodansha manga are waiting to be licensed?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I am liking the anime version. Perhaps I might buy the manga if it is not longer than 12-13 volumes.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
If it's as good as the anime, I'm in.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
A good pick.
Naniwa

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Another Kodansha manga stolen from Kodansha USA. What's going on with them? Are they so obsessed with their cash cows that they've forgotten that other good Kodansha manga are waiting to be licensed?

What do you mean stolen? I thought Vertical was mostly owned by Kodansha? I wouldn't really call that stolen... I mean, does it really matter if they license it through Vertical or through Kodansha USA, we should be thankful that at least we get it in english.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
Naniwa wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

What do you mean stolen? I thought Vertical was mostly owned by Kodansha? I wouldn't really call that stolen... I mean, does it really matter if they license it through Vertical or through Kodansha USA, we should be thankful that at least we get it in english.

Kodansha USA publishes some of Vertical's titles digitally so I think there is definitely a relationship of some sort between Vertical, Kodansha USA & Kodansha in Japan.
Naniwa

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Naniwa wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Kodansha USA publishes some of Vertical's titles digitally so I think there is definitely a relationship of some sort between Vertical, Kodansha USA & Kodansha in Japan.

A quick google search says that Kodansha and Dai Nippon bought Vertical in 2011, Vertical shares the same offices with Kodansha USA, and they basically use Vertical for minor titles and older demographics and Kodansha USA for main manga series. So yeah they are the same people, nothing is getting stolen from them. They just decided that Flying Witch was more suitable to be released through Vertical and that's all.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
Excellent! I've been loving the anime so the manga is a definite must buy.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Perhaps I might buy the manga if it is not longer than 12-13 volumes.

There are only 4 volumes so far and it seems like the sort of monthly slice-of-life manga that'll come to a natural end before it gets to double digits.

I mean, that's unless it just keeps on going for decades like Ah My Goddess!, bur that one's an anomaly for this general kind of "magical realism" manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
Looks interesting.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Perhaps I might buy the manga if it is not longer than 12-13 volumes.

There are only 4 volumes so far and it seems like the sort of monthly slice-of-life manga that'll come to a natural end before it gets to double digits.

Good to know, thanks. I also think that the Flying Witch manga will not be too long. If I recall correctly, doesn't Vertical only release manga series that are under 20 volumes long?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm not that familiar with all that many Vertical titles, but, checking what Vertical has on Wikipedia, it would seem anything longer than 12 volumes (i.e. the total number of volumes Mysterious Girlfriend X got, assuming that one will all be published in English) would be the exception for Vertical.

And the longer manga often (usually?) get omnibuses anyway, so the Vertical release of a 12-volume manga will be more like 4 omnibus volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1