• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rogue Robots: Japanese Government Analyzes Risks of AI

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Must be cool living in a country whose biggest fear is the ending of spoiler[Ex Machina]
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Well it's bound to happen sooner or later so you might as well address the issue before something actually happens. Although the first place I would start is the Internet. Wink
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it was suggested that it would be necessary to develop AI that possesses a programmed fear of rising up against humanity

That's an interesting solution i've never heard proposed before. But you could really program fear into a robot? Would it be ethical to do so? What happens if the robots get over this fear, as some people get over their fears?
Gamlin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
One word: SKYNET!
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
True self aware AI is probably impossible. Conscience is not well understood in general, and its existence is even debatable depending on who you talk to. That said, realistic looking robots could be programmed with realistic enough human behavior that they take part in a crime or something like that.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
Somewhat amusingly, I am(for better or worse given the ending) playing through Mass Effect 1-3 again. Just makes me wonder if AI with the capability of the Reapers, or even a group of Geth are even really possible. If something like that is possible, I could see them being dangerous. But as someone noted above, it remains to be seen.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote
It's so funny how we need to research risks in case the AIs start becoming self-aware. There are already 'things' on the planet who are self-aware and, throughout history, they tend to commit crimes, fight wars and in general cause problems over anything. Without a doubt self-aware AIs will be quite troublesome.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
That reminds me of the anime called Un-Go. The only thing I'm worried is whether someday, people will use robots for military and they 'll stop doing their dirty works; thus, both the victims and the perpetrators will blame Japan for creating it in the first place.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
True self aware AI is probably impossible. Conscience is not well understood in general, and its existence is even debatable depending on who you talk to. ...

If consciousness in the human brain is possible, then it is definitely possible. We just don't know how to build an analog to it. ...yet.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
The dark side of android technology...the possibility of an android being controlled through the hacking of his/her AI. It's a good thing that researchers are already trying to find ways of countering this problem before it occurs. Smile
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
The danger of AI comes in a few aspects of mapping the human brain, but I'd hardly credit the most likely scenarios around them becoming more human. AI in the current age are programmed to perform work more efficiently, and these are the AI most likely to rebel. If given a goal and programmed to be more and more efficient at that goal with a system that adapts to more and more efficient methods, it may determine, by probability statistic, that humans are an obstacle to that goal, and develop, on its own, a method of wiping out humans. A bit unrealistic today, but we do have to be aware of what we program AI to do in order to be more efficient at what it does.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
I thought we already had an answer to this, Asimov. The latent programming would need to insist on upholding the law higher than independent reasoning, but saying that makes me feel like a monster.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
... If given a goal and programmed to be more and more efficient at that goal with a system that adapts to more and more efficient methods, it may determine, by probability statistic, that humans are an obstacle to that goal, and develop, on its own, a method of wiping out humans. A bit unrealistic today, but we do have to be aware of what we program AI to do in order to be more efficient at what it does.

We do have an advantage a long-time evolution has given as, as well as for any other life around us, namely adapting life as we know it to the raw materials easily enough available on Earth. An AI might rebel and be superior to us, but question is how long that reign will last if it continuously needs special metals etc to support it...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
A potentially world conquering robot escaped from a lab in Russia this week, AI on the level of Skynet (has the potential to conqueror the world) and Noah (an AI in Metal Max 1 that plays God and can destroy humanity) are extremely dangerous.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
If such a thing should happen, shouldn't these government types put together some high-tech police force designed to prevent these robots from committing such heinous crimes? You know, "Ghost in the Shell" style.

I think it would be strange yet interesting (and maybe a little scary) to see fiction turn into reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2