• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Interview: Seven Seas Entertainment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Well that was good I had always wanted Seven Seas to be on the podcast and now that has happened. My question about whether Seven Seas would ever consider becoming a subsidiary of a Japanese publisher comparable to Viz's relationship with Shueisha got answered as well.

Also happy that the recent licenses Seven Seas announced in July got both Dreamin' Sun and Species Domain. Also a licensing suggestion more Shounen Champion Magazine Manga in general and Helen ESP by Kigitsu, Katsuhisa (2 volumes) and Living Dead! (4 volumes) by Sato as they are both short and seem within Seven Seas bailiwick.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Dang; up to SEVEN drafts on light novels? I assume that means reading each volume up to 7 times; I've never even done that for fun (yet). FWIW, i'm happy that they're so committed to getting quality translations done. When i asked that question, I had the "Rise of the Shield Hero" LNs in mind (turns out they aren't actually licensed by Seven Seas; it's someone else), and they definitely could have used another draft or two to make it more readable in English. Compared to stuff that's translated with a lot of care and quality, like the recent Overlord vol 1 release and DanMachi, it makes a huge difference.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice that this came up just as Right Stuf is having their Seven Seas sales. I plan to preorder a few things this weekend, including Galko-chan. Ah, and I'll second the person at the end who requested Hanayamata. I'd be thrilled if that was licensed.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Re: Seven Seas not being on Apple's store… I had totally forgotten about Apple's censorship practices, which seem to be disproportionately against LQBTQ manga (which is ironic, considering the LGBTQ-friendly spin the company tries to put on). Searching for URLs about Apple's comics/manga censorship turns up many hits from over the years, including one from just this June:

So yeah, guess I can just shop Comixology for my iPad.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Well that was good I had always wanted Seven Seas to be on the podcast and now that has happened. My question about whether Seven Seas would ever consider becoming a subsidiary of a Japanese publisher comparable to Viz's relationship with Shueisha got answered as well.

Also happy that the recent licenses Seven Seas announced in July got both Dreamin' Sun and Species Domain. Also a licensing suggestion more Shounen Champion Magazine Manga in general and Helen ESP by Kigitsu, Katsuhisa (2 volumes) and Living Dead! (4 volumes) by Sato as they are both short and seem within Seven Seas bailiwick.

Viz was a subsidary of Shogakukan from the onset so they never just "became" a subsidiary". Shopro and Shueisha co-ownership came later. All three companies hail from the Hitotsubashi Group (which also includes Hakusensha)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Maybe someone here in the forums knows… what the heck is going on with Seven Seas' release of Angel Beats! Heaven's Door? The first volume came out in February (Theron liked it), and the second was scheduled for this month -- already a long gap between volumes -- but it has just been pushed out until December, with later volumes now expected in 2017.

EDIT: Also, how has this thread not degenerated into a license-request spree? Is everyone playing outside today?
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
What is Seven Seas Entertainment website?
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz was a subsidary of Shogakukan from the onset so they never just "became" a subsidiary". Shopro and Shueisha co-ownership came later. All three companies hail from the Hitotsubashi Group (which also includes Hakusensha)

Well, I didn't know the correct terminology or the history of how that worked out so thanks for clearing that up.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
What is Seven Seas Entertainment website?

http://www.gomanga.com/ Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Once you take Yen, Viz, Kodansha and Vertical off the table as associated with Japanese companies, being the "largest independent manga publisher in the US" is not that big a deal. All the rest are pretty much small fry. I suspect Seven Seas publishes as many volumes of manga each year as all the other independents combined.

Now if I were to rate the publishers by the number of titles I buy from each it would run Yen, Seven Seas, Kodansha, Viz, Dark Horse, and then Vertical.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Once you take Yen, Viz, Kodansha and Vertical off the table as associated with Japanese companies, being the "largest independent manga publisher in the US" is not that big a deal.

A number of the Seven Seas titles I've liked are Kadokawa-owned, via ASCII Media Works / Dengeki Comics (Toradora!, Angel Beats Heaven's Door, the upcoming Bloom Into You, etc.), and presumably those are going to become exclusive to Yen going forward, after Kadokawa's takeover of Yen a couple months back. I kind of wonder if Seven Seas would get a crack at anything that Yen passes on, since Yen hasn't shown much of an interest in certain genres that Seven Seas excels at, such as romance and yuri.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
@invalidname

To be honest, I'm more concerned about what effects that takeover may have on Yen. As I noted I buy more titles from them then from any other publisher. Yen and Seven Seas are the bulk of my monthly order from Previews. We will just have to wait and see.

I assume in that link the "largest" manga publisher would be Viz. Unfortunately most of the titles they carry don't appeal to me.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Maybe someone here in the forums knows… what the heck is going on with Seven Seas' release of Angel Beats! Heaven's Door? The first volume came out in February (Theron liked it), and the second was scheduled for this month -- already a long gap between volumes -- but it has just been pushed out until December, with later volumes now expected in 2017.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-02/clannad-charlotte-writer-jun-maeda-recovers-from-heart-condition/.103900
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-29/clannad-charlotte-writer-jun-maeda-reveals-he-needs-heart-transplant/.104783
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:

But why would Maeda's health affect the English-language release, when there are 10 volumes out in Japan already? Seems like Seven Seas is playing catch-up with volumes published in Japan five years ago. Also, Maeda is only responsible for the overall story of Heaven's Door, with Yuriko Asami credited as both writer and artist.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to here from the actual publishers and get a idea how they are doing and what goes on behind closed doors.

But I think the one gentleman misspoke when he said that they have over 150 titles in their catalog. I took it as they publish over 150 different series which they currently do not but I think he meant to say was over 150 individual volumes across many series.

I do like their manga's they put out and I own over 12 volumes from them with a few more I plan to purchase in the future.

Would really like them to try to get titles from other publishers that normally wouldn't be released at all if things have changed from their previous these 4 publishers are on their black list so don't ask.

One that I've asked them in the past if they are so into Yuri titles why haven't they still not acquired Aoi Hana a title not on their black list of publishers and is only 8 volumes long. Apparently Digital Manga has the rights to it now but can't find a print version or a link to the online reader service?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2