• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lucky Star Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparvid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
The overdose of Haruhi you mention I don't remember being all that thick. Sure, it references a whole bunch of anime and manga, that's one part of Lucky Star's humor, and since Haruhi was big at the time, it gets referenced a few times, but not so much that I remember it as being all about Haruhi.

I was just thinking about that. Granted, I haven't watched Lucky Star since around 2008, and I didn't know much about Haruhi at the time, but the only things I can recall was a commercial starring Haruhi, the other main voice actors making one cameo each (which didn't necessarily reference the show itself) and the Yuki/wizard cosplay (but that wasn't until the OVA, right?)

Edit: And I guess Kanata's job at the cosplay cafe, but did that show up more than once?

Last edited by Sparvid on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
braket wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
I can see where Lucky Star isn't for everyone. It's like watching 22 minutes of Seinfeld

you are aware that every episode of Seinfeld's nine seasons ran for ~23 minutes, right

The episodes ran between 22-24 minutes really. But who's counting? Wink
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to watch my DVD's again. No sense in getting the Blu-Rays if they look worse than the DVDs.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the series but do like the OP and have visited Washinomiya shrine at least 3 times. If you have already visited Washinomiya shrine, do so again on a New Years day.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Anyone can explain this: How can a dub and sub who were both rated as B+ become D+ but yet the dub is called "solid" in the review? I only saw 2 episodes so far of Lucky Star, i picked up the DVD a few months ago from madman (Aus). I think the dub deserves more credit then a D+...

no kidding. while its definitely no haruhi or azumanga daioh , its definitely a classic and a very good one to say the least.

it should at least be given a B at least. and its OP is definitely one of the best even to this day. hate to say it but this review is an epic fail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy slice of life series, but I just couldn't get into this one. In fact, I don't think I've ever been so bored by any anime series. As another poster said, it's very similar to Doki Doki School Hours. However, this one manages to be even less funny. I don't think I laughed a single time.

I even tried rewatching it, and found it even less enjoyable the second time.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
Heheh, got the LEs real cheaps........ Guess they truly didn't sell as many as they had expected and lost much money that they didn't do as much for the last parts
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
I assume that the reviewer marathon watched a show not meant to be marathoned in order to do a review. If Slice of Life also has rules outside of atmosphere and comedy, it would be to not marathon the series.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:42 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Now that the rose-colored glasses are off (new prescription), one can finally see this as the poor man's Azumanga Daioh.

Well, I think that Azumanga Diaoh is the poor man's Lucky Star. If you're going to accuse others of wearing rose-colored glasses, perhaps you should remove yours first. If you want my full opinions on that series that I had to painfully drag myself through, here they are. If you can't understand Lucky Star, I can't understand Azumanga Diaoh.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
Wow. I never would have expected to see a negative review of Lucky Star. I thought that it was hilarious. I wouldn't rate it as the funniest anime that I've ever seen (I'd probably give that to Pani Poni Dash), but it is one of the funnier ones. To each their own though, I suppose.
Ravendruid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
I found Lucky Star only occasionally funny, and generally only mildly so when it was, but I ever expected or needed it to be. I enjoy because it is so low-key. Sure I enjoy over the top comedies like Nichijou as well, but many times what I want from an anime is something relaxing that I can unwind with after a long day at work. To me, it feels like sitting back with a group of the kind of friends that I always wanted back in school but could never quite manage to find.

I also have too agree with those commenting about the tendancy in these reviews to state opinions as facts. I've been thinking for a long time about why I find myself reading fewer and fewer reviews and articles on here, and this is something that has occurred to me multiple times as being one of the reasons. It my be the expected style for this kind of article, but i get enough of that sort of thing from politicians. This "word of God, MY thoughts are THE thoughts" tone that comes across from statements such as "This show was not funny" vs "This show failed to make me laugh", I find very off-putting, even when I agree.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Now that the rose-colored glasses are off (new prescription), one can finally see this as the poor man's Azumanga Daioh.

Well, I think that Azumanga Diaoh is the poor man's Lucky Star. If you're going to accuse others of wearing rose-colored glasses, perhaps you should remove yours first. If you want my full opinions on that series that I had to painfully drag myself through, here they are. If you can't understand Lucky Star, I can't understand Azumanga Diaoh.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of a visual aspect, how I couldn't see anything in an AMV in Lucky Star whereas AZ has always been like the go to for material. AZ has a lot more varied wide angle shots and close-ups, not to mention different character faces and reactions, whereas Lucky Star is mostly focused on the same stationary long & medium shots throughout and everyone has practically the same reactions as one another. Could not find usable AMV material from that.

All in all it's just two different shows. I just grew up on AZ while others grew up on Lucky Star. It's all relevant. And I understand that. I just never felt the same way for Lucky Star as everyone else, that's all. But you're entitled to your opinion as well.

Regardless, we all seem to missing the elephant in the room here. It doesn't matter whether Lucky Star is a good show or a bad show. What really matters is that NICHIJOU HAS STILL NOT BEEN LICENSED! COME ON!
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
Sparvid wrote:
I was just thinking about that. Granted, I haven't watched Lucky Star since around 2008, and I didn't know much about Haruhi at the time, but the only things I can recall was a commercial starring Haruhi, the other main voice actors making one cameo each (which didn't necessarily reference the show itself) and the Yuki/wizard cosplay (but that wasn't until the OVA, right?)

There are other more "meta" references hidden in the show as well. At one point the girls go to see a concert by Hirano Aya, who is, of course, the voice actress who performed as both Haruhi and Konata. At the concert Hirano sings "God Knows" from Haruhi. (Here she is performing the sailor fuku song live with the actresses for Kagami and Tsubasa all doing cheers.)

I thought Lucky*Star was a decent show, but I really enjoyed Lucky*Channel more. Akira was funnier than any of the girls in the main show, and I liked Shiraishi's dual role though perhaps not so much his singing. You can watch a compilation of just the Channel episodes at YouTube.

Still, this isn't the sort of show that needs a Blu-ray release. The artwork was hardly distinctive, and it sounds from the review like it didn't survive the upscaling all that well. Some shows can really benefit from a BD release, but Lucky*Star wouldn't be on my list.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Regardless, we all seem to missing the elephant in the room here. It doesn't matter whether Lucky Star is a good show or a bad show. What really matters is that NICHIJOU HAS STILL NOT BEEN LICENSED! COME ON!

Well, Nichijou is available in Australia: https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/20937

The OP and ED are great live btw also.

PS, stall at Washinomiya Shrine, 1st January 2013:

explosionforgov

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
I might check it out, just because I remember hearing about it and Haruhi when they were originally released, but didn't get a chance to get around to watching either. Both of them are the kind of show that you feel you have a gap in your essential anime knowledge if you haven't tried them out. Or at least, I do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7