• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Aug 12-18

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Mob psycho episode 6, score 4.5, 12th place. Wow what do the other 11 have? 4.6 to 5.0
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Mob psycho episode 6, score 4.5, 12th place. Wow what do the other 11 have? 4.6 to 5.0

Probably because just about everyone only watches 1 or 2 animes a season (for some reason), which is to say, the ones they like. Like = Higher score
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
That jump by Twin star exorcist though. It took them a while but the series started to get a little better now.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

6 including the top 4 are 4.5 or higher, the rest are (currently) less but are in the range where preferences can override raw ratings. And Mob Psycho isn't going to go back up next week as yesterday's is rated 4 last I saw

Yeah the last few episodes of TSE have been very good. I'm not sure it will continue after the current fight ends though.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
If people could read all the novels of re zero, I would not be in the first place. It had fallen so Mob Psycho 100 since the start of the arc 3.
drifty1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Planetarian is finished. I would suggest subbing in Qualidea Code. Not the greatest of the season, but much better than I expected it to be.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
drifty1 wrote:
Planetarian is finished. I would suggest subbing in Qualidea Code. Not the greatest of the season, but much better than I expected it to be.

Yeah I would agree. Not sure if many people do though, and Theron has enough series this season and I don't see any of the other ones wanting to cover it. I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode as I think it's going to totally overturn how the battle versus the Unknown is seen, though we have had clues in the past couple that things aren't as they appear to be.

And @Dayblack, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.
crx07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
There's no need to sub Planetarian. I believe those who picked it up knows that it will end early so they picked it, thus less burdens after Planetarian ends. Just let it stay there, including Arslan.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
@zrnzle500: He's saying the source material is better than the anime. It's all he ever says. Every adaptation is terrible.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
I kinda figured but I have no idea what his second sentence means, unless he just randomly put Mob Psycho in the middle of the sentence.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
TL: If only people knew how terribly "maladaptive" Re: Zero was, it would be down at 12th with Mob.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
I thought I knew how this system works, but it looks like when One Piece doesn't have an episode airing in a week, the ratings go up (sometimes a lot, see July22-28) while the cumulative rating hits rock bottom. And Taboo Tattoo, which has settled into last place the last four weeks (deserved!) in the weekly ratings sits above Berserk and One Piece in cumulative rating in the same period. Maybe the higher ratings in weeks 1-3 made up for the last four?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure on ranking changes during weeks without an episode, but on Taboo Tattoo being at the bottom of the weekly but not cumulative, yes the higher earlier episodes make up for it. From its nature as cumulative, later weeks have less and less of an effect as they make up a progressively decreasing fraction of the ranking. Berserk is higher than Taboo Tattoo, but not by an amount large enough to counter the earlier weak ratings. As for One Piece, the smaller amount of episodes amplifies the effect of the spate of weaker episodes that occurred during this season. If it continues to get ratings like the last one, One Piece may pull out of the bottom before the end of the season. I'm not sure Berserk will do well enough or Taboo Tattoo poor enough for Taboo Tattoo to reach the bottom of the cumulative. If it does it will be near the end of the season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
And yet look at the radical shifts in the cumulative for Battery and Art Club. While no series changes more than 3 places a week, those two kind of stand out.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And yet look at the radical shifts in the cumulative for Battery and Art Club. While no series changes more than 3 places a week, those two kind of stand out.

Except for Twin Stars moving up 4 spots this week, that part is generally correct. But comparing the weekly to the cumulative for those two shows, the cumulative changes so dramatically since the weekly has changed just as much if not more so. Each episode has less of an effect on the cumulative but they still have an effect. It just means it's harder for a show on the bottom to get above it as the season goes on. The same goes for the top falling but shows tend to be closer on the top than the bottom so ones just under them have less of a difference to surmount.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2