• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Opposition Party Investigates 1.2-Billion-Yen Cost of Olympic Handover Ceremony

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
$10 Million to Nintendo licensing fees. Lol jk. But I imagine licensing would be fairly expensive, but I definitely agree with needs to be looked into. That handover definitely didn't seem to warrant that kind of price
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Trans-pacific partnership? TPP?
Every country in the wold should say NO to that. It directly benefits businesses while increasing prices of basically everything to the consumer.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
No offense, you guys, but how is this news, and how does it relate to anime? I'm not kidding, this article has nothing to do with anything, other than the ceremony making a couple or so passing references to Captain Tsubasa and Doraemon, and this article isn't even about that. At all. It's about the whole political/financial thing surrounding it. Any news site could talk about stuff like that. Indeed, I would expect an article like this from something like CNBC or the Wall Street Journal or something like that, but not from you guys (and for the record, I don't really pay attention to business stuff).

Seriously, ANN. This really needs to stop. It really does. Sad
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
No offense, you guys, but how is this news, and how does it relate to anime? I'm not kidding, this article has nothing to do with anything, other than the ceremony making a couple or so passing references to Captain Tsubasa and Doraemon, and this article isn't even about that. At all. It's about the whole political/financial thing surrounding it. Any news site could talk about stuff like that. Indeed, I would expect an article like this from something like CNBC or the Wall Street Journal or something like that, but not from you guys (and for the record, I don't really pay attention to business stuff).

Hardly unrelated, because ANN covers games as well and gaming companies are clearly involved in this, as well as licensing issues, any investigation (I don't think it will get that deep, anyway) that involves companies that create the content ANN publishes of is worthy of being covered, even if it doesn't have any actual consequence in the future, or if it's a political and economical matter.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Stuffing Abe into a drainpipe couldn't have been cheap, though I imagine it was satisfying.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
So are we going to have to suffer through every single article related to the Olympics because of small passing references to anime/games that are used in its promotion?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Stuffing Abe into a drainpipe couldn't have been cheap, though I imagine it was satisfying.
But for tunneling through the entire planet, 1.2 billion yen is quite the bargain.
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
But Doraemon's device did it for free. I say it's all gone into the back pocket of that dodgy plumber.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I mean, why do you think Mario kept switching jobs? He was clearly proficient at all of them, so it's gotta have something to do with manipulating his income reports.
Vongola Prim0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So are we going to have to suffer through every single article related to the Olympics because of small passing references to anime/games that are used in its promotion?

B-but you're not suffering from it at all. Unless your mouse button scroll wheel reduces your lifespan every time you use it.....
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:

Wow. Why do you even care so much? First of all, since ANN already had an article all about Japan's part in the closing ceremony, I guess they'll continue with follow-up articles for consistency sake. And although the anime connection is minimal, it's still there, and ANN release articles with vague links to anime every now and then.

Also, I don't really know why you clicked on this article if you "don't really pay attention to business stuff" anyway. The heading pretty much sums up everything that's in the article, and from what I gather it seems like it's not the kind of headline that would grab your attention. Did you just read the article to justify coming to the comments to have a whinge?

Articles like this one are scarce on ANN, with anime content still dominating the feed. If you see an article in the future that you don't think you'll be interested in:
A: Don't read it &
B: These articles are like needles in an anime-saturated haystack, I'm sure the other 95% of the articles will be to your liking.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
But for tunneling through the entire planet, 1.2 billion yen is quite the bargain.
Though the Mother ship in Independence Day: Resurgence could have done it for pennies on the dollar! Cool Laughing
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
OpinionatedWeaboo wrote:
It directly benefits businesses while increasing prices of basically everything to the consumer.

Not quite... but given that it is fashioned after NAFTA, there are quite a few things to it that should be opposed to and renegotiated. Personally, I am not a fan of how TPP handles digital/patent law, which is a complex matrix to be sure. The US more or less comes out the winner... but... that is kind of iffy due to the language and with patent law that can allow for rather big loopholes.

That said, there are some benefits to TPP that should also be looked into to be insured that they are kept.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
$10 Million to Nintendo licensing fees. Lol jk. But I imagine licensing would be fairly expensive, but I definitely agree with needs to be looked into. That handover definitely didn't seem to warrant that kind of price

Heh, if Pikachu was in this like some people predicted, I can definitely see the $10 million going solely to licensing fees.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Those of us who enjoyed watching the Olympics (excessive coverage of swimming notwithstanding) don't mind.

Zalis116 wrote:

Not with that drill, which carved the tunnel speedily and automatically with no power source. Then again, since that drill had to be imported in from outer space, the shipping costs must have been massive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1