• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ghibli Film Fan Vote Results for Theater Screenings Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
These were to be expected since they all are generally favored.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Spirited Away winning the poll! Smile Plus, special mention to Kiki's Delivery Service for making it in the Top 5!
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
All this 5 are amazing movies, kinda wanna see though a remake with new animation the older ones though i also have mixed feeling about this then since it might ruin that special feeling that it gives of as somethin old but gold ^^
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
All this 5 are amazing movies, kinda wanna see though a remake with new animation the older ones though i also have mixed feeling about this then since it might ruin that special feeling that it gives of as somethin old but gold ^^

Remake a Ghibli movie????? BLASPHEMY!!!!

Just kidding. Kind of expected that Spirited Away would win, but congrats!
peno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I am quite surprised with Spirited Away win. I thought Nausicaä or Castle in the Sky will take the win, as they are classics loved by generations of Japanese (and not only Japanese) viewers. Not that Spirited Away, which was first anime movie I ever saw in theatre, BTW, does not deserve the win, but still, I am surprised.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Well all 5 of those movies would be worth watching in the theater again just wish that it would happen' in the US
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well all 5 of those movies would be worth watching in the theater again just wish that it would happen' in the US

It happens. Check art theaters in your proximity and similar sorts of venues. There's a theater about an hour from me that often shows Ghibli movies once a year, thanks to the involvement of a Japanese cultural arts society and a local convention. They typically show two movies a weekend over the course of a week or a month. I've seen every Ghibli movie in their theater except for Tales from Earthsea and Ocean Waves thanks to those people. You might need to take a drive if there isn't a theater near you (I once drove about 4 hours to go see Kaguya and then 4 hours back), but there are places that show them sometimes if you're willing to look.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

It happens. Check art theaters in your proximity and similar sorts of venues. There's a theater about an hour from me that often shows Ghibli movies once a year, thanks to the involvement of a Japanese cultural arts society and a local convention. They typically show two movies a weekend over the course of a week or a month. I've seen every Ghibli movie in their theater except for Tales from Earthsea and Ocean Waves thanks to those people. You might need to take a drive if there isn't a theater near you (I once drove about 4 hours to go see Kaguya and then 4 hours back), but there are places that show them sometimes if you're willing to look.

There are 3 different theaters in my area that regularly do Ghibli showings. In fact, one of them does it so often that their website has a "Ghibli" category which says when the next showing will be. I think they probably average at least one showing every week. Another one does a yearly marathon thing showing a couple back to back every Saturday and Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if an arthouse theater in most areas shows them now and then. You could probably ask them to as well.
Thread_Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

I have to agree with what was pointed out earlier. My local arthouse actually just finished up their summer series which was all of the Ghibli films. They even ran Earthsea for one showing!
What I have noticed is that stuff like this isn't going to be advertised widely. So keep checking the theatre's website throughout the year. That way you'll catch the next showing. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1