• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CG Girl Saya's Realism Will Have You Doing A Double Take

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
So they've finally climbed out of the uncanny valley when it comes to cg images.

Now, climb out of there for 3DCG animation...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
So they've finally climbed out of the uncanny valley when it comes to cg images.

I think it is possible to have a passable 3dcg scene with even modern technology, the issue becomes resource costs in regards to labor toward the editing that would be necessary even for something as short as a 2 minute commercial.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
We've come so far since Max Headroom, but I jest, right now there's a lot of folks in the actor's guild VERY scared about our new 3DCG scabs who will be here in ten years Smile
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Incredible Shocked

I still remember when I played my first video game in 1999. The characters couldn't open their mouths or hands. Then I became amazed when they could open their mouths a little bit and move two fingers, then I became amazed when they could form sentences and move all their fingers, then I became amazed that hair and fabric moved realistically, then I became amazed that they looked kind of real, then I became amazed that they looked real in cut-scenes, and now they look real all the time.

So I've been wondering what the next step would be, it appears they've found it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow...! Surprised She looks so real that I can't even tell her apart from the real-world background.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Is this based on someone's likeness?
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
CG is really starting to become indistinguishable from reality. I hope this gets combined with VR for some awesome video games in the future. VR is still in it's infancy, but these sort of graphics in VR would be amazing. And 3DCG still need work too, so real life Sword Art Online/Log Horizon is still quite a ways off.
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely insane
Netto-Manjuu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even more impressive is the fact that the creators are entirely self-taught, having no formal training in computer graphics.

What.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Still a ways to go out of the uncanny valley. Although this passes as real.

Unfortunately it only passes because we have got into the habit of making actual models look so unreal by smoothing skin and digital manipulation of real life people over the years. So this could pass as a manipulated model shot for a magazine. Though that is hardly "real" anymore is it. Wink

There are plenty of better "real" stuff out there, and there has been for many years. But for a self-taught artist this is impressive work, though less what it used to be. There are so many easy modelling tools that are utilised these days. The huge fairly insurmountable problem at the moment is making 3D models actually move in a lifelike way. It is getting better, but still a loooong way to go.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Still a ways to go out of the uncanny valley. Although this passes as real.

Unfortunately it only passes because we have got into the habit of making actual models look so unreal by smoothing skin and digital manipulation of real life people over the years. So this could pass as a manipulated model shot for a magazine. Though that is hardly "real" anymore is it. Wink

Actually, the smooth skin looked so rubbery, I would have taken it for a real photo of one of Tokyo's newest robots.

And remember when we looked at the still photos from Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within and said "They're so real! Will virtual actresses replace real ones fifteen years in the future? Are human actors doomed?"
And then the REST of the movie came out... Razz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Netto-Manjuu wrote:
Quote:
Even more impressive is the fact that the creators are entirely self-taught, having no formal training in computer graphics.

What.

Many of the most talented 3d designer talent have no formal training. The amount of self-teaching within the community and large collection of freely available training materials allows anyone to become proficient if they are willing to dedicate the time. There is a lot of community driven support as well for struggling artists. I would be more surprised if they weren't, to be honest, as modeling techniques taught in schools are a few years behind the curb.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually more impressed by the hair; that texture looks really nice and soft. The real test would be to see it in motion, of course, but for a still image, it's pretty good.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Yeah, that was one of my thoughts: She definitely looks lifelife, but can she move lifelike? That's something even motion capture can't do quite so well, as evidenced by how everyone moves in The Polar Express.

Paul D. Atreides wrote:
Incredible Shocked

I still remember when I played my first video game in 1999. The characters couldn't open their mouths or hands. Then I became amazed when they could open their mouths a little bit and move two fingers, then I became amazed when they could form sentences and move all their fingers, then I became amazed that hair and fabric moved realistically, then I became amazed that they looked kind of real, then I became amazed that they looked real in cut-scenes, and now they look real all the time.

So I've been wondering what the next step would be, it appears they've found it.

Realistic hair is still not that common in video games, as they are incredibly processor-intensive and, more importantly, expensive to animate. You won't really see it short of the highest-budget AAA titles.

It's a major reason for why there were so many bald space marines through the seventh generation of games: No hair and full-body armor makes for cheap and easy animation.

As for the next step, I'm guessing they're going to try for animals next. Commonly seen animals like dogs and cats are just as subject to uncanny valley as humans (case in point: Five NIghts at Freddy's), and I'd say they would be harder because they don't move the same way humans do. You are a human. You know how you move. You are not a cat or a dog or a horse or a bear, so it's harder to get immediate references. In addition, as was discovered making Zootopia, every mammal's fur has a different texture, and the modeling team had to design each species's fur from the ground up.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Technology is only getting better to the point where humans will eventually be deemed obsolete. Welcome to the future. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2