• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Knight's & Magic Light Novel Series Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I figured this was coming after the whole "Special Announcement" thing. This seems boring and generic. I'll be skipping it unless I hear good things about. I thought Re:Zero was going to just be another boring LN adaption and ended up being a pretty good anime. So who knows how this will turn out.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yet another LN adaptation about an Otaku being transported to another world and getting buried in b*tches? Wow, please excuse me as I put my expectations at the lowest possible setting. There's a 1% chance I'll be pleasantly surprised buuut I'm not going to expect much.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Oh, yet another LN adaptation about an Otaku being transported to another world and getting buried in b*tches?.

Not quite. The MC is something that can only can called "mecha-sexual". Unless you are a 20 foot humanoid robot he can get inside and pilot, he is not interested. Yes, bitches are throwing themselves at him, but none of them stick. It's either mecha, or bust.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Am been watching anime for many years so i remember the time when anime was allot more experimental and creative than now. Stories that blow your mind like Grave of the Fireflies or Akira. The 80's have many anime like that. If you have the possibility, watch them and i believe you will like them.
The problem was anime like that don't make enough profit so many studios close down during that time.

I think you're looking through very rose tinted glasses at the 80's. There was plenty of crap produced then. The difference is now with the advent of commercial simulcasts rather than relying fansub releases we get the opportunity to watch pretty much everything that comes our of Japan as it happens.

I'm not a huge fan of most LN adaptions but there are plenty of gems among the poop.

That said, I'm not expecting a lot from this. At first glance at the artwork I was hoping that the MC was genderbent which would be interesting, but he's just feminine Sad
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:
I believe anime to be a medium that can excel in various forms of creative storytelling, not a tool used to cater to the masses strictly for profit. I know anime creators are more capable than this, but they keep wasting their potential on these soulless projects.

Like Vaisaga said the authors of this stories put their heart and soul in writing them so calling them soulless if a bit too much. And they are also part of the creation of this animes.
And they create them because is what they love and also is what many people want to watch.

Am been watching anime for many years so i remember the time when anime was allot more experimental and creative than now. Stories that blow your mind like Grave of the Fireflies or Akira. The 80's have many anime like that. If you have the possibility, watch them and i believe you will like them.
The problem was anime like that don't make enough profit so many studios close down during that time.

Making original anime and take a chance cost money, and for studios money come with been evolved in Production Committees of LN/Manga based projects. They have to gain enough money from this projects before making original anime. Don't forget that most of the investment comes from big LN/manga publishers so most of the profit are for the big LN/manga publishers and not for the studios.

So if there are enough money from this LN/manga projects some studios can present you with some original unforgettable great anime.

I appreciate your input but as I have told Vaisaga I only mentioned the anime producers and not the authors. Yes the author's work is the foundation of the project but who are the ones making the adaptations happen? The anime producers. They see what those light novels have and know what the masses want therefore they green-lit the projects in an effort to make profit. That's one of the reasons I dismiss them as soulless.

I appreciate the recommendation but I already many series from the 80s such as SDF Macross, Rose of Versailles, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes which are among my Top favorites! Anime smile

Sad but true, many studios like MadHouse and Manglobe make really good series but they don't sell too well so they constantly have to sell out to stay relevant (Manglobe even went bankrupt). I believe that is because the majority of people mainly seek to escape from reality for a bit and have fun which is quite understandable considering their lifestyle. However, even if the circumstances are understandable, it doesn't necessarily excuse the business practices the companies are doing. They only make those projects purely for money, not because they deeply care about the material. Now granted, there are some great LN adaptations like Baccano!, Katanagatari, and Spice and Wolf (which are all among some of my all time favorite anime) but still, I think I made my point.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Oh, yet another LN adaptation about an Otaku being transported to another world and getting buried in b*tches?.

Not quite. The MC is something that can only can called "mecha-sexual". Unless you are a 20 foot humanoid robot he can get inside and pilot, he is not interested. Yes, bitches are throwing themselves at him, but none of them stick. It's either mecha, or bust.

That's not really substantively different? It's still the same fantasy, it just means there's an excuse for nothing to go beyond the fantasy.

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
I think you're looking through very rose tinted glasses at the 80's. There was plenty of crap produced then. The difference is now with the advent of commercial simulcasts rather than relying fansub releases we get the opportunity to watch pretty much everything that comes our of Japan as it happens.

There's also the fact that there's a lot more anime now. MyAnimeList says 36 TV anime debuted in 1988, the year of GotF and Akira, and that would be slow for an individual season now. They were often longer, but the AJA report says 70 programs were broadcast in 1988, counting continuations from previous year, while the figure for 2014 was 322. Granted, that includes shorts, but 2006, which broadcast more minutes than 2014, had fewer of those and still had 279 shows.

(1988's TV anime are mostly forgotten, I think. Movies and OVAs are better-remembered. Aside from the obvious Akira/Ghibli stuff, there's LotGH, Gunbuster, Appleseed, and Char's Counterattack.)

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of most LN adaptions but there are plenty of gems among the poop.

That said, I'm not expecting a lot from this. At first glance at the artwork I was hoping that the MC was genderbent which would be interesting, but he's just feminine Sad

Only Sense Online has a very feminine-looking male lead too. SAO influence, a pre-existing trend, or just coincidence?
Black Magi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
Well this looks like it's not going to be higher than a 6/10
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:10 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

I wasn't talking about the 80's have more quality. Yes, there was many anime that i don't liked back then.
My point is during that time the studios had take more risks than now. They risk more in making original and creative anime than now, and they payed the price, many going down.

I can say that now i watch more anime than ever before, and have more variety of genres.
But sometimes i miss that risk taking and crazy creative of the 80's, even knowing how difficult is for studios to take that chance in this economy.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Azael wrote:
So mecha battle action into another world... It was about time to see it all mixed up, there's only left the magic school and we're ready to go

I don't think they've combined all the anime cliches with "transported to an alternate world"...yet. Have there been any magical girl ones? What about sports? There are still ideas left to plunder!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I don't think they've combined all the anime cliches with "transported to an alternate world"...yet. Have there been any magical girl ones? What about sports? There are still ideas left to plunder!

Dog Days. Magic (including magical girl transformations), sports, and animal people.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Azael wrote:
So mecha battle action into another world... It was about time to see it all mixed up, there's only left the magic school and we're ready to go

Magical Girl: Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!!
Sports: Dog Days (thanks SilverTalon01)
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
welll it doesnt matter what studio gets it. what is a lot of people expecting now and for good reason, is that another anime series that is based off of a LN is gonna bomb. HARD!

It does matter what studio gets it, how many episodes it will be, how many LNs they're planning on covering, what the budget for the series is, etc. There are plenty of really well done and successful LN anime like Re: Zero. Even if the LN isn't super amazing, a solid effort can produce something still fun to watch. Or if the LN is actually really good and not some generic school setting stuff, a rushed and cheap production is still going to be sub par.

which is what my case was about. a lot of anime that are based off of LN let alone the novels themselves haven't done so not lately. the only exceptions were Sword Art Online,Tokyo Ravens, Toaru Majustu no Index, Shinmai mao no Testament,Infinite Stratos,Date A Live,Kyokai Senjou no Horizon, and especially High School DxD which are very very popular and have a strong fanbase. though only dxd, index and sao have a current strong fanbase cause their LN are still popular to this day.

all the latest anime that are based off of LN (Absolute Duo,World Break,Sky Wizards Academy) have been subpar as you say which is why you cant blame some people for being concerned that this series is another LN adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
all the latest anime that are based off of LN (Absolute Duo,World Break,Sky Wizards Academy) have been subpar as you say which is why you cant blame some people for being concerned that this series is another LN adaptation.

Ok sure, you picked out three bad apples. You're missing some recent good ones though. One that just finished airing is Re: Zero. Some other pretty recent, well received LN based series are Konosuba, Gate, Rakudai, and Grimgar.

And the way you say that makes it sound like anime that aren't based on LN have a significantly higher batting average which I don't think is really the case. Manga based and anime original series are quite often pretty bad too... and then theres the card game or pachislot anime where I can only think of one that wasn't awful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3