• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest XI PS4, 3DS Game Reveals 2017 Debut, Opening & Gameplay Videos

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blankslate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
The PS4 version looks empty as hell. I'm definitely leaning more towards the 3DS version.

God I hope that midi soundtrack is placeholder.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:55 am Reply with quote
Eesh. It seems Akira Toriyama is being pushed to make more modern designs for his characters. They look so much more serious and less plucky/adventurous compared to his older work. I'm playing through DQ7 on the 3DS right now and it's an absolute joy because of the wonderfully charming design work. I can't help but feel the tone of the series is changing the further along it's going.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:08 am Reply with quote
@Blankslate It is a problem you see in quite a few JRPGs, they try and make a big world, but don't have enough content to fill it.
@Kikaioh Yeah it looks like they tried to humanise his designs.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
@Kikaioh
Yeah, I agree, they look a bit off. I can probably forgive it if the monster enemies still look fun as hell though (and if they bring back the Fencing Fox enemy, the most adorable one, imo)
But did you play Builders? That was awesome fun! And it kept the old school design, so it can't be that DQ in general is moving away from the look, otherwise, they probably would've started with maybe Heroes, Builders, or the DQ8 remake (the 7 remake was released years ago in Japan, so I'm not counting it for this)

Anyway, I'm stuck at the PS4 vs 3DS debate as well. It's hardly fair to compare the footage, one was overworld field footage, and the other was in a town. I would much rather have had them both be in a town or in a dungeon, but not one of each! I've got time though, I'm sure that after the game comes out in Japan in May, I'll be able to find extended footage of both easily. Who knows, I wouldn't put it past me to just buy both versions (especially if those jerks put exclusive stuff in each one)
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
Nice to see another game in the series being released!

MarshalBanana wrote:
It is a problem you see in quite a few JRPGs, they try and make a big world, but don't have enough content to fill it.

I've noticed the same. I think it's a matter of how modern games are expected to have killer graphic quality. That takes a massive amount of development effort which takes away from that which could be spent on really fleshing out the world, additional quests, equipment, dungeons and the like.

I'm a fan of both DQ & FF series games but I think the later versions are more about pretty pictures than the meat of the game. My favorite of all time was the FF IV "Complete Collection" remake for PSP. I love how they kept the old-school graphics and simply expanded on a fantastic core concept.; I wish they'd do more of the same. At the time I heard about the game it had already been out for a couple years and there were versions available for Android. They went so far as to make everything pretty in 3D but cut a lot of the extra content. I went and bought a PSP--an obsolete system at the time--just to play that version of the game. I'll take additional content over the latest fanciest graphics any day.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I think both versions of the game look wonderful. Not sure if I will pick up just one or both.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing the Dragon Quest VII 3DS remake as my first DQ experience (I'm 30, there's no excuse really) and I've been enjoying it quite a lot. So I'm really looking forward to a new one that isn't an mmo or whatever IX was trying to be. I think I'll hold out for a Switch version though, and I actively wonder if the 3DS one will make it here. It took a billion years and the end of the 3DS's life cycle to get VII and VIII remakes here. I fear the 3DS will be quite dead before Squarenix or Nintendo get to localizing it.

Really like that retro 16-bit second screen map, very clever.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I've been playing the Dragon Quest VII 3DS remake as my first DQ experience (I'm 30, there's no excuse really) and I've been enjoying it quite a lot. So I'm really looking forward to a new one that isn't an mmo or whatever IX was trying to be. I think I'll hold out for a Switch version though, and I actively wonder if the 3DS one will make it here. It took a billion years and the end of the 3DS's life cycle to get VII and VIII remakes here. I fear the 3DS will be quite dead before Squarenix or Nintendo get to localizing it.

Really like that retro 16-bit second screen map, very clever.

Um, I'm pretty sure IX was a straightforward DQ game, only with a different character system.
UltScorpion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
The PS4 version reminds me of Xenoblade.

Though I noticed that they didn't showcase the battle system. Not sure if its gonna say the same or not, that's all.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
I wanted a female protagonist. I'm disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1