• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Netflix's Death Note the Next Target of Whitewashing Claims

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

There was an old article I once read, which I sadly can't find anymore, titled along the lines of "The Color of Diversity is Black" which talked about how most minorities get ignored in favor of black representation, which seems to be the forefront concern of media. It talked about Hispanics being a bigger percentage of America, and Asians being a smaller one, but most concern is with the race that sits in the middle. Asians especially are overlooked and often times not even considered a minority by the left because they don't experience the negative sterotypes blacks and hispanics do. This was written before Black Lives Matter and the 2016 election so It'd be interesting to see an updated version of it.

I tried searching but also couldn't find an article like it but I do find that the line rings a bit true. When it comes to diversity issues usually the ones who dominate the conversations on social media and with the articles are most often African American. They would write from the perspective of an African American lense so it always felt like so long as something had enough African Americans it was "diverse" despite completely forgetting other non-white minorities.

For example I believe it was last year's Oscars which Chris Rock hosted and he made a speech about the controversy and it was through a AA perspective. Then there were some people of other races/ethnicities who felt excluded. This resulted in AA on twitter attacking these other minorities who felt that THEIR voice wasn't being heard with #Notyourmule. Following the #Oscarssowhite situation over the past few years, while digging through the website for articles, I would mostly see articlres that would place the issue as a black vs white thing and that was it. Rarely did an article mention Latinos, Asianso, Natives, Middle Eastern Standard, etc... Thankfully after these oscars people are realizing these groups are just as underrepresented if not more.

stilldemented wrote:

But it can't change tomorrow because we said so today. Hollywood is an old computer, so it takes longer to update. As is the way with all forms of progress.

Pretty much applies to all forms of society and I think a lot of people in the diversity fight forget that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
This is a total adaptation. It's not set in Japan, they've added new events, the names are different and when they didn't the actor is Asian, casting is diverse. Chill out. This isn't whitewashing anymore than Japanese Cinderella having Japanese actors.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Y'know I'm REALLY getting sick and tired of this crap.

Okay let's go back a bit. Remember when 'Death Note' was first announced? Well...there was never any mention that they were going to have ASIAN actors. It was going to be done for Western audience and that's what us who were thinking rationally back then figured. Basically the discussion everyone was wondering how they would adapt a manga where the cast is Asian, writer, artist...etc... was going to translate if done by some director in the West. Hell, wasn't it already assumed that "Light" being a "white" dude anyway. Didn't they have people they were planning to cast. That was 10 years ago. And guess what? NOBODY batted an eye. NOBODY even brought it up. If anything people were hoping that it wasn't going to turn out like the crappy 'Dragonball' movie that hit the Western movie industry. Gee I wonder what will happen when 'Battle Angel Alita' comes out.

I did have a rant but I took it out because I decided to cool down.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I love all the over quoting in this thread, but the ANN staff are like, nah Anime hyper

I really do feel this is a missed opportunity rather than outright whitewashing. I hate the thought a lot of Americans have that because it's set in America it makes sense for a WHITE person to be the lead. That Asian or Black actors are only capable of being the friend on the side. That is the whole problem. I'm on my phone so I can't quote you, but to the op who talked about how 'there are no good (crap minority) Asian actors so duh the lead is white' THAT'S THE PROBLEM! Because people (like you) think that! There are plenty of capable actors of color who could have been Light, but they wanted to be 'safe' and cast what they think will gather more attention: a white face. They think because a person scrolling through Netflix who sees the DN poster will be like 'hm what's DN? Idk but I don't want to try it because there's an Asian lead I don't know' they're too afraid to give the lead to an Asian American when they've spent so much money and don't want it to flop. Do you know how insulting that is? Knowing they won't cast someone who looks like us because of the color of our skin? That it won't get views because of what we look like? That's the worst feeling.

Edit: Lady Multi is who I'm talking about.
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Can we all agree Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is perfect casting or is that whitewashing too?

More like humanwashing.

Is it, though? Are we sure Willem Dafoe isn't a Shinigami?

You don't even have to make Ryuk CGI, you can just put that dude in make-up and I'd still buy it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I hate the thought a lot of Americans have that because it's set in America it makes sense for a WHITE person to be the lead. That Asian or Black actors are only capable of being the friend on the side. That is the whole problem. .

Just pointing out that the good guys, the actual heroes, are Black and Asian in this film. Generally I agree with you. This is a big problem. But as I've said already, this film, in particular, getting so much white-washing rage baffles me to no end. It features minorities in 2 of the 4 leading roles, the potential dynamic between a black L and a white Light is incredibly rich, and choosing a white guy for Light makes a lot of sense narratively.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
I hate the thought a lot of Americans have that because it's set in America it makes sense for a WHITE person to be the lead. That Asian or Black actors are only capable of being the friend on the side. That is the whole problem. .

Just pointing out that the good guys, the actual heroes, are Black and Asian in this film. Generally I agree with you. This is a big problem. But as I've said already, this film, in particular, getting so much white-washing rage baffles me to no end. It features minorities in 2 of the 4 leading roles, the potential dynamic between a black L and a white Light is incredibly rich, and choosing a white guy for Light makes a lot of sense narratively.

I'm not talking about the good or bad guys though. I'm talking about the lead character. Sure L can be considered a leading role, but there's no question that DN is Light's story.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's true. But Light is also a villain. Being played by a white kid. And he is likely going to get his ass handed to him by a black guy. I just find the potential of that dynamic interesting.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
At this point the thread is going in circles. I think hearing the same points brought up 10 times by 10 different users on each side is enough. So let's shut this down until the next thread on this topic pops up when the movie releases on Netflix and then we can start this all over again.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11