• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tracking Board: Get Out's Jordan Peele in Talks to Direct Live-Action Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Will it be about college football players' names? Please?
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this like the third or fourth director change this movie attempt has had? for crying out loud if ya strike out one more time call it quits people
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
Let´s see if GitS will fare better with audiences that critics but that is a problem with the director, writer and even producer/studio first and foremost. This rumor already fixes problem 1 and 3.
The most important concern here is that they will NEED to throw out the past decade of failed attempts WB buried in a warehouse and just eat the cost. Proceed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Good luck. Even the Japanese couldn't convincingly condense the story of the manga into a single movie. Even the guy who WROTE the manga couldn't.

Of course he could and he did (he was not the first to do something like that, Miya..... something comes to mind with Nausicaa Laughing ) The result stands for itself even several decades after the fact. Hords of people flocked to this film in Japan and abroad so it was certainly a sign of success and frankly people didn't give a rat's ass that the film was not the carbon copy of the manga it was derived from. That's why it's called an adapation of the source material, you pick and chose and change what you want for the silver screen version.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
If anyone told me five years ago that a former MADtv cast member would be in consideration for directing an American adaptation of one of the most influential anime films of all time... I'd have called them insane.

This guy wasn't part of what I would consider the "good era" of MadTV and to call MadTV very good for long is kind of stretching... It's just at the time MadTV started airing, SNL was already in its horribly bland writing, rote-politicking phase with unremarkable casting and getting worse. I'll grant that the first 3-4 years of MadTV did have a fair amount of chuckles.
MadTV was never THAT good but for a time it was easier to stomach than SNL. It got worse, too, and there was nothing to choose between SNL and MadTV in its it last 5-6 year on air. They were both bad!

He's still a MADtv vet, no matter how much his being from the less good half bothers you. Rolling Eyes
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I tended to enjoy Key & Peele, and I know I'll love Get Out. But this absolutely needs to keep its key themes and messages, and it needs to be a Japanese cast in a Japanese setting to do that.

However, I think he's also socially aware abd conscious enough to do right by the source material. I'm optimistic, but still a bit skeptical for now.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:35 am Reply with quote
If the 4 Warner Brothers (Alfred, Sam, Harry, and Jack) were still alive and were still working as studio executives, I think they would want something taking this long to make be scrapped. Heck, I would be pay to see them cursing in Polish (they had Polish Jewish ancestry).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2