• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Hosts Yuri!!! on Ice Creators Mitsurou Kubo, Sayo Yamamoto

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
Given the sheer number of top-tier guests now billed for the occasion, I am starting to fear that Anime Expo is falling victim to its own equivalent of the Three Stooges' Syndrome...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
I said it last year too but there is such a thing as "too much." Not sure AX is doing any favors for the fans by announcing huge guests like this the week of con.

AX's GR staff is going to be spread so thinly, and from what I hear, they lack experienced staff. If AX actually had the capacity to take good care of all the guests they get (or that industry gets for them) then it might not be so bad, but the fact of the matter is that they are understaffed and don't have the ability to give each of the guests the attention they need/deserve.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:58 am Reply with quote
This is my VERY first AX and already I feel like passing out. Anime dazed I even skipped the Anisong concerts to save time and money for autographs and all the numerous special offers from companies but NOW they decide to add two of the most popular creators at the last minute??? Good f**king Lord. Shocked
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:23 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
This is my VERY first AX and already I feel like passing out. Anime dazed I even skipped the Anisong concerts to save time and money for autographs and all the numerous special offers from companies but NOW they decide to add two of the most popular creators at the last minute??? Good f**king Lord. Shocked

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Seriously though, good luck. I hope you are going with some AX veterans who have an idea of what you'll be up against because one wrong move and your planning will likely be all for naught. Just know that AX is very unorganized and they have a lot of inexperienced staff so even if you go up to them with questions, there's a big chance they will not have answers.

Look at all the department management positions they were hiring for up until 2-3 months before con. Um, yeah........
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
If AX could stop announcing guests 3 days before the con when I'm already doing nuts trying to finish my cosplay and pack everything, THAT'D BE PRETTY GREAT.

crosswithyou wrote:
AX's GR staff is going to be spread so thinly, and from what I hear, they lack experienced staff. If AX actually had the capacity to take good care of all the guests they get (or that industry gets for them) then it might not be so bad, but the fact of the matter is that they are understaffed and don't have the ability to give each of the guests the attention they need/deserve.

It's my first year going and I could be wrong, but from my understanding, MANY of the guests are handled by industry themselves, so AX isn't responsible for them. Take Daisuke Hirakawa for example, he's only appearing through Anime Jungle. Crunchyroll just announced like 6 or so directors, and I'm assuming CR is responsible for them at the con. Again, could be wrong, but this was the impression I got reading up on the guests.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
It's my first year going and I could be wrong, but from my understanding, MANY of the guests are handled by industry themselves, so AX isn't responsible for them. Take Daisuke Hirakawa for example, he's only appearing through Anime Jungle. Crunchyroll just announced like 6 or so directors, and I'm assuming CR is responsible for them at the con. Again, could be wrong, but this was the impression I got reading up on the guests.

I can't divulge too many details, but to my knowledge, GR still "takes care" of a lot of the guests brought in by industry. I don't know specifically which ones, but I do know that Anime Jungle is one of the few exceptions where they will likely take close to, if not complete, responsibility for their guest. FYI, the original Japanese arm of Anime Jungle holds seiyuu events almost every month. That's how they've built these relationships with the seiyuu and their management. Hirakawa and also Kakihara who appeared last year have been part of those events (Ou-sama Jungle) several times.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

That's a rookie mistake. To get autographs at AX now, you have to get in line at 2 am to wait for 1 autograph ticket from 1 guest. If you want any more autographs for the day, you have to head to the back of the line to get another.

Strongly suggest you start lining up at 2 am, if not earlier, especially if it's a popular guest.

Me...nope. Done with AX. No point in paying $1200 for a hotel room that will amount to glorified luggage space. There are better cons out there. If you're a YOI fan, head to AnimeFest instead.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
This is arguably the most coveted American anime con. I can only imagine how many mores I have to wait before I attend one.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
This is arguably the most coveted American anime con. I can only imagine how many mores I have to wait before I attend one.

There are plenty of better conventions out there.

AX may get tons of good guests (read: industry gets AX tons of good guests) but if you want to see more than two or three of them, you are going to have a heck of a time planning, and they are certainly going to find some way to throw a wrench into your plans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1