• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NYC Museum of Modern Art to Screen Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Now that is an actually great movie. Well, kind of. Well, I like it more than Oshii's first gits at least.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
No Motoko, no dice.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
I wonder if that museum is having a dull summer.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Now that is an actually great movie. Well, kind of. Well, I like it more than Oshii's first gits at least.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, YES, but why would you think this is a better film than the first one?!?

Here's why I DON'T like it --

It's a talking heads film.

That is a deadly sin to commit in film. It's a basic sin of DULLNESS.

A film is moving imagery, it's NOT purely audio or discussing philosophy and trying to impress people with passages you remember or copied from multiple religious and philosophical texts. I can listen to NPR or attend a college lecture if I want to be bored by a windbag philosopher for 2-3 hours for free.

That's the problem I have with GITS 2. It's a pompous film with next-to-action that's been advertised as an action film.

The first film had some philosophy but it didn't throw it in your face or spend the entire time TALKING to you instead of SHOWING you the world of GITS.

That's why I utterly HATE the second GITS movie.
I don't think anybody would have bothered to re-license that if it weren't part of the GITS franchise. I wonder if the licensing companies and MOMA have actually ever bothered to watch that film all the way through.

And yeah, there was next to no Major Kusanagi in the movie which was a huge mistake.
She's the star of the franchise...

FYI, I didn't think the first GITS was the best anime feature made, either, but at least it didn't bore the skull out of me like the second one did.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, YES, but why would you think this is a better film than the first one?!?

Sorry to do this to you (that is, to answer the question), but here we go:

Quote:
A film is moving imagery, it's NOT purely audio

Yes, which is why the parade and the exploration of the old man's mansion are usually considered highlights of the film. You know, the visual-only parts with no dialogue. The parts entirely consisting of moving imagery with almost no focus on audio. Those parts. Now I understand saying that the movie is mostly dialogue-based, and it is, but those two scenes aren't just random, they're lengthy and important, so brushing them aside is egregious.

Quote:
or discussing philosophy and trying to impress people with passages you remember or copied from multiple religious and philosophical texts. I can listen to NPR or attend a college lecture if I want to be bored by a windbag philosopher for 2-3 hours for free.

"Learning is stupid" funny joke dude! Fifth grade is awesome!

But jokes aren't criticism so let's talk about what you actually said. "Trying to impress people"? Don't put motivation onto the writer. What you see in the movie is what you get, and its messages should be analyzed as one of a movie.

I don't really have any "counter" for the fact that the movie is filled with quotes for no real reason other than I find it absolutely hilarious. "So you agree with me?" Well no not really, because I can enjoy something even if I find it stupid. So yeah, I still think that Innocence is a great movie, it's just also one that really amuses me. Because amusement is a positive emotion, you see. It's not as though the movie isn't self-aware about what it's doing, it makes fun of itself a few times. This isn't a failing if you don't let it be.

Quote:
That's the problem I have with GITS 2. It's a pompous film with next-to-action that's been advertised as an action film.

I don't know how it was advertised. But that doesn't really affect the quality of the movie, at all. In fact, a movie that sets you up for one thing but is secretly tricking you earns lots of respect from me.

Quote:
I don't think anybody would have bothered to re-license that if it weren't part of the GITS franchise. I wonder if the licensing companies and MOMA have actually ever bothered to watch that film all the way through.

Do you not think that Mamoru Oshii has fans? This is a Mamoru Oshii movie - dialogue-heavy, surreal and experimental. It's not an action movie or a mass market blockbuster. Sorry.

In the end we don't actually view the movie any differently. I just possess the ability to like things that make you angry.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
There is a beauty to this film which befits a screening in such an establishment. While nothing can be as close to a quantum leap in the industry that the original was, Innocence exhibits a gentler genus of melancholy that bookends and compliments the 1995 film quite neatly.

Ulinox wrote:
No Motoko, no dice.

But this is not the case, surely! We do get that scene with that robot...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1