• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Licenses Mr. Osomatsu Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
That's fine, but what about that tie-in manga from Shueisha?
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Hope it gets an English dub!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Hope it gets an English dub!

Viz dubs everything they put out on home video so this is more or less a sure thing but this one really came out of left field. Not only because I assumed it was a Crunchyroll license but also because in spite of its overwhelming success in Japan (which is likely why they went after it) it seems like a riskier title than what Viz generally goes after these days. Certainly curious to see how it'll turn out and who they get for the Matsus
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The license includes the 25-episode first season and the upcoming second season.

You might want to go back and correct/clarify that statement, as it seems like they only have the rights to 24 episodes, unless they add in an ova episode (like with the Australian release). According to Mike Toole, episode one won't be included due to all the legal entanglements that come with the various references. Oh, & before people start getting mad, this was also the case the JP release. Just a heads up.

Here's Mike's tweet:
https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/896132920426979328
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Never saw this anime, but is the first episode important? Like story-wise or anything?
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Never saw this anime, but is the first episode important? Like story-wise or anything?

Nah, the show's a gag-comedy so there's little in the way of continuity. It does, however, have the most impressive visuals in the series, being a huge parody of various male idol, sports, mecha & shoujo/shounen franchises like Attack on Titan & Yowamushi Pedal. It's definitely worth searching out as a high-energy intro to the show, but it's not essential to your understanding of the fairly simple premise.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Awwww man I was hoping for a Funimation dub, but this is still good! At least we know it's going to get a dub and the second season (probably) won't be an Anime Strike exclusive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
You know what would be awesome? If they cast the most popular dub actors who have never shared a character with their -matsu's seiyuu before. The voice actor six-degrees-of-separation game would explode.
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I visibly fist pumped and hell yeah'd in the middle of a supermarket reading this, after hoping someone would pick the show up for years. The show's already a gut-buster in Japanese and Top Five 2010s comedy anime material, and a good handling of the dub could really widen the show's appeal. Too bad about that first episode, indeed, though.

Also, Jyushi is my sunshine. Y'all can't have him. Cool
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
YES! My birthday's tomorrow so this is a great early Birthday Present! I wasn't expecting this at all! So awesome!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Cool. This is a nice surprise because this show does not seem to be that popular in R1. Hopefully tomorrow someone announces disc rights for Re:Zero.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Now this is awesome. I would love to rewatch this show in dub, especially one from Viz.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leelee85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Cool. This is a nice surprise because this show does not seem to be that popular in R1. Hopefully tomorrow someone announces disc rights for Re:Zero.

I just hope someone announces disk rights for anything that is on Anime Strike tommorrow.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Its about time someone got this
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Quite a Surprise to see Viz Media licensing this comedic series, since for the most part they usually get the BIGGEST franchises that will add revenue to their anime department (e.g. Naruto/Boruto, One-Punch Man, Sailor Moon, Hunter x Hunter). TBH, I was expecting Funimation/Crunchyroll to license the show since it previously aired on Crunchyroll in 2015 a year before the FUNi/Crunchy deal and the show fits well with Funimation current comedic shows they air on their simulcasts.

Seems Viz Media is sticking to their 2-3 anime license a year rule, so without further ado, here is the rundown on Viz Media's most recent anime licenses from 2014 to 2017:

1. 2014: The original Sailor Moon Uncut and Sailor Moon Crystal, Doraemon (The 2005 anime series with dub) - 3

2. 2015: The Sequel to K, One-Punch Man, and Hunter x Hunter - 3, 2 if you simply count OPM and HxH

3. 2016: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable and the rest of the JoJo's anime series, Terra-Formars - 2

4. 2017: Boruto and Mr. Osomatsu - 2 (so far yet)

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2