• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: ID-0 — Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
I recently checked this series out on Netflix, and came away unimpressed. It was neither good nor bad.. and unremarkable.
The premise was interesting.. and it did keep my interest enough to keep watching but things that were introduced went nowhere and when the big reveal does happen its anti-climatic.

Things I didn't like.. CG Cell Shaded characters.. this is a personal preference.. but I find this annoying in games and I sure as heck don't want to watch an anime with it.

In Summary this felt very much like a late 90's early 2000's anime and reminded me of titles like Gene Shaft, Infinite Ryvius and even Stellvia. It just had that feel of the Sci-Fi/Space themed shows from that time period.

a solid C rating is what this title earned.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
If its full 3D Netflix will want it even if its not popular.

I started watching it, seems decent I guess.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
"that was a thing, I guess" sums up Taniguchi's original work since Code Geass.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
ID 0 is a mixed bag as far as studio Sanzigen is concerned, hopefully it is simply an example of law of averages when compared to previous works of Ars Nova or Bubuki Buranki.
Animation wise it is much more consistent in quality even if the human models are not particularly impressive when compared to the creative mech concepts

I hope whatever main project Sanzigen gets to work on can be received with much more praise than "it was mediocre".
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
For those who may want a more detailed alternate perspective on the series that is also far more sympathetic to the material and appreciates its execution, I believe it's worth linking to the ID-0 write-up here. I think it's an interesting take that differs from Theron Martin's rather lukewarm evaluation.

Personally, I found ID-0 to be a pretty good work of old-school sci-fi adventure within the strict limitations of its 12 episode length. Which meant that there was a certain density of elements around the central focus point (the "quest for identity" in the literal and figurative sense) with decent foreshadowing for the various mysteries or the revelations about Ido's past and how it related to the overall narrative/thematic structure. Mind you, I will also acknowledge that not every single thing could be addressed in significant detail and it was evidently not aiming to reach the depths of GITS in the first place. Perhaps that alone makes it "not worth the wait" for those who prefer shows that are located on either end of the spectrum (as in deep philosophy versus high-octane action), rather than somewhere in the middle.

However, I have to strongly disagree with Theron's claim that the logic in the last quarter of the series is tenuous or that the little girl's presence goes against what the series had previously established. In fact, I had quite the opposite impression on both counts. Not everything might be explicitly spelled out (together with the fact that both Netflix and the fansubs have some translation oddities) but, one way or another, the connecting threads are still present upon closer inspection.

Furthermore, I would add that the cast grew on me slowly but surely over time (especially Grayman and Amanza-Rick, curiously enough, plus also Ido himself and eventually Maya), with group dynamics that included a few noteworthy expressions of friendship instead of just teasing or bickering all the way. At the same time, the last three episodes or so did a good job in terms of raising the dramatic stakes and thus making the climax more compelling. I really liked episodes 10 and 11, which had some impressive space sequences. That said, I felt episode 12 was slightly rushed yet still satisfying enough as a conclusion for a show of this length.

Stampeed Valkyrie above has mentioned being reminded of older shows like Infinite Ryvius and I would say that's a fairly good comparison given the staff involved, despite the clear differences in subject matter (this series is a lot closer to, say, something like Outlaw Star or the semi-recent Bodacious Space Pirates), but for me this actually meant ID-0 was a welcome throwback to that era of anime production rather than any sort of negative. Sadly, I realize that type of traditional approach to science fiction is not really considered as too "hot" these days, at least not in terms of what most of the anime community wants to watch.

Needless to say, I would not want to argue that this is a great series with huge popular appeal or something we've never seen before in the entire history of science fiction, but my personal score would actually be somewhere in the B- to B+ range. I felt it came together better, at least on the script level, than Sanzigen's previous Bubuki Buranki despite being only half as long. Fortunately, there have also been some positive reactions on Twitter from various folks who watched the show on Netflix for the first time, so I can only hope that those who may be interested in sci-fi anime will still give ID-0 a chance instead of stopping right after reading this review.

Lemonchest wrote:

Don't you worry, because he's finally making more Code Geass now in order to answer all the voices demanding another blockbuster (and I mean this entire phrase both quite sincerely and very sarcastically).

I suppose his latest minor works are all doomed to remain obscure within this community, but I can still appreciate that he went in directions that weren't what the masses, the critics or even the markets were clamoring for (ironically enough, ID-0 and Maria, which is at least half anime original, are arguably the best among these lower profile titles, but also the ones that sold the least). In different ways, they took risks and offered some variety.

PS: The ED theme was a bit silly, but I thought the OP was quite catchy and stylish.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Not everything might be explicitly spelled out

That sounds like conjecture, then.

Which is usually followed by, read the light novel, read the manga, and see the special OVA.

But it is nice you liked the show. I have to admit the premise is interesting, so I will probably sample the first few episodes and see for myself.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I completely agreed with the reviewer. The show had promise, but there was simply not enough time allotted to give a descent story to the audience. Stupid 12 episode limit is killing things for good action/scifi/space soup opera genre.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
I suppose his latest minor works are all doomed to remain obscure within this community, but I can still appreciate that he went in directions that weren't what the masses, the critics or even the markets were clamoring for (ironically enough, ID-0 and Maria, which is at least half anime original, are arguably the best among these lower profile titles, but also the ones that sold the least). In different ways, they took risks and offered some variety.

I keep forgetting that Taniguchi also did Maria because it's so different than just about everything else he's done. I'm very fond of that one (it was my #2 series for its year and got an A grade from me) and I have always been disappointed that it wasn't that popular. It's probably his furthest departure from "typical" anime, though, and I'm sure that plays into it.

I read the linked alternate viewpoint, and I felt it conveniently overlooked that the philosophical side wasn't overwhelming because it wasn't actually explored that much. Everything else I'll chalk up to simple difference of opinion.

I can also totally buy this being more of an old-school sci fi series, but I don't buy the logic that being "old school" can automatically be used as an excuse for a storytelling style that doesn't work as well in the current scene. I also stand by my assertion about Alice and that the last quarter or so is a mess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
That sounds like conjecture, then.

Not necessarily. Information can be implied or suggested without being absolutely clear to everyone in the audience. For instance, whenever several people watch the same movie or TV series and half don't notice some details or felt the results were unclear or messy, but other viewers are able to make more sense out of the pieces of the puzzle.

That said, when it comes to discussing a particular show the amount of evidence will vary and the debate comes down to who can make the better arguments in support of his or her interpretation. Even then, I'll admit that a series can also be judged according to how well it was or wasn't able to convey the message to the audience, yet there is no denying that a subjective element is still involved in such judgments.

Key wrote:
I keep forgetting that Taniguchi also did Maria because it's so different than just about everything else he's done. I'm very fond of that one (it was my #2 series for its year and got an A grade from me) and I have always been disappointed that it wasn't that popular. It's probably his furthest departure from "typical" anime, though, and I'm sure that plays into it.

I am hoping that it performed better outside of Japan, but perhaps that's wishful thinking.

Quote:
I can also totally buy this being more of an old-school sci fi series, but I don't buy the logic that being "old school" can automatically be used as an excuse for a storytelling style that doesn't work as well in the current scene. I also stand by my assertion about Alice and that the last quarter or so is a mess.

I don't think it's an automatic excuse, because that would incorrectly suggest there's no room for improvements or zero flaws, which isn't my position here. My stance is that Alice herself is perhaps one of the weaker characters, that much is hard to deny, but contrary to your assertions I felt she still played a valid role in the story (even as a plot device) in a way that made internal sense. That's one of the reasons, though not the only one since I've mentioned other aspects before, supporting why I have a more positive view towards the storytelling in the last quarter of the show. Simply put, I think the show can feel dense at times yet the writing also manages to connect the dots in the long run.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

Disagree.

I found that the two seasons of Active Raid were the best of its seasons of the shows I watched. Likable characters, a decent plot, some great standout episodes and a plot that doesn't feel like its outright disconnected by its respective seasons unlike some shows *coughGeasscough*. I will admit however it did have some incredibly weak elements though. They had no clue what to do with Mythos, although I did like how they handled his role in the second season a lot more.

He also did Creative Direction for Gonzobarrels/ Gonzo's Linebarrels of Iron adaption which was at least entertaining for all the wrong reasons even if it completely butchered everything good about the manga. At least it gave us the amazing soundtrack, vocal songs and the borderline amazing sequence that was Final Phase.

Plus he did Maria, which was a really great show that I genuinely feel like not enough people watched, partially because of the season it aired being really full of decent-to-good shows. It's the same way I feel about Heroic Age airing in the same season as Gurren Lagann.
DanQ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
I like this show. My personal the second best anime of spring season (the best is Tsuki ga Kirei, of course). I liked the animation, 3D models of humans were beautifully rendered, and their animation was vivid (not like robotic movement in Kado). OP and ED songs are top notch, and BGM are nicely fitting. Story is constantly evolving and plot is getting into bigger scope. And Characters - I really like Maya, she reminiscent me Ai Tanabe from PLANETES (and PLANETES is anime of my TOP EVER list ~_^). Sure, antagonist was kinda cheesy, and final scale little overblown, but generally it has spirit of sci-fi adventure I'm fond of. Anime smile

jroa wrote:
For those who may want a more detailed alternate perspective on the series that is also far more sympathetic to the material and appreciates its execution, I believe it's worth linking to the ID-0 write-up here. I think it's an interesting take that differs from Theron Martin's rather lukewarm evaluation.

Thanks for link to review, nicely written.

jroa wrote:

PS: The ED theme was a bit silly, but I thought the OP was quite catchy and stylish.

I found ending really, really moving. You can say I'm easly moved, but sometimes I cryed, it was very emotive for me. ~_^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this "little" show. I generally enjoy this kind of sci-fi and I agree it kind of had an old-school feel to it in terms of how it went about its tone and the type of story it was. Like Wrangler said, I think it would have been able to achieve more had it been able to be made with 24-26 eps in mind rather than just 12.

Really looking forward to re-watching this with the dub, I had fun watching this show despite its flaws and that it's not overly ambitious as it could have been.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1