• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona Series Tops Megami Tensei Series in Units Sold

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Wonder how they definied the megami tensei split and persona, what about DeSu and DeSu (Handhelds), Strange Journey, etc.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that "Persona" only includes games that literally include the word Persona in the title, & "Megami Tensei" means literally everything else in the franchise. Yes, Persona is THAT successful of a spin-off franchise.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I'm pretty sure that "Persona" only includes games that literally include the word Persona in the title, & "Megami Tensei" means literally everything else in the franchise. Yes, Persona is THAT successful of a spin-off franchise.

That's for sure--
Even though they use the exact same mythological monsters, and a similar recruit/merge upgrade system, SMT's story (including Nocturne) is a separate series set in strange post-apocalyptic settings, while Persona's stays rooted with our identifiably independent Scooby-gang of school-teens in modern Tokyo. And, of course, the school-sim concept doesn't hurt either.
Having played both, it just makes sense that Persona 3-5 would have the more instant longer-term addiction with fans....Quick, who was the hero of SMT 1-2?
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, I'm more surprised this only just happened. Figured it would've been the case ages ago
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

if that was the case, the numbers should've exceed 30 titles not including the ports (like PS1 MT1-1, and SMT 1-2), the main line alone has 11 titles... Unless you don't count stuff like Majin Tensei, Last Bible, Devil Children, there's no way Megaten only have 28 including ports like Persona category.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I do hope this means that Persona 6 won't take 10 years, (although a Persona 5 arena that features older versions of 4's cast does sound awesome)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Persona 4 Arena counts among the Persona games, even though Arc System Works did that one.

theNightster wrote:
I do hope this means that Persona 6 won't take 10 years, (although a Persona 5 arena that features older versions of 4's cast does sound awesome)

Each main Persona game is incredibly large, long, and intricately written and structured. Personally, I think it's best for them to take as much time as they need and not rush, especially since they sell well enough that they can afford to take the development pace they need.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:43 am Reply with quote
^Depend on what kind of engine they're going to use. Persona 5 took so long was due to them making the engine. If Persona 6 use similar engine as Persona 5, then it won't took as much time. That being said, all the core staff are currently busy with non-Persona project so...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

No one actually doubts that especially given the fact that the Persona games have had less hurdles getting in the way of it being released outside of Japan.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
P5 to SMT: Look at me. I am the captain now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1