• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Celebrating 1,000 Episodes of the Pokémon Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
1000 Episodes and still no championship.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

I fathom that giving the viewers exactly what they want would imperil the series' longevity. To draw a comparison with pro-wrestling, if you ensure the 'baddies' always keep hold of the championship belts, the fans may continue to support the nominated 'goodies' indefinitely...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

I really though he one an championship...
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

I really though he one an championship...

He won at the Orange Islands I think, but that doesn't quite count since it isn't from the games. Only counts if it's a legit league.
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
CycloneJoker wrote:
He won at the Orange Islands I think, but that doesn't quite count since it isn't from the games. Only counts if it's a legit league.

He also beat the Battle Frontier and was offered the position of a Frontier Brain.

I've been watching the anime for a long time. I never really care about him winning championships, though. The journey was more fun to me. Satoshi is a strong trainer for sure, but there will always be stronger, which seems to be the anime's message. The championships in the anime are not like the games. In the anime the championships are held once a year to see which one trainer has the right to challenge the Four Heavenly Kings and if they beat them, then they challenge the Champion. Satoshi has fought along side and against various heavenly kings and champions throughout the series despite never winning a qualifying championship.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
and he's still 10 after 20 years
Enrique Suárez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Congrats for the 1000th episode of Pokémon! Smile by the way, SM49 (ep. #1000 overall) was one of the best of the entire anime Cool
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta admit. Making it to episode 1,000 is no small feat. Let's hope "Pokemon" goes on for a lot longer. It's a great show. Smile
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
20 years later Ash is still 10 meaning that the year would be over 10,000 days long
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Even if Ash never won the Pokémon League since Season 1, I still enjoy him making new friends and experiencing new events throughout his adventures. If one were to have a look at the Japanese song Aim To Be A Pokémon Master (there's even a fan-made English version of it out on YouTube), the losses at every Pokémon League after Kanto start to make some sense.

These 1,000 episodes of Pokémon were a fantastic ride! Smile I'll keep watching until the very end.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Even if Ash never won the Pokémon League since Season 1, I still enjoy him making new friends and experiencing new events throughout his adventures. If one were to have a look at the Japanese song Aim To Be A Pokémon Master (there's even a fan-made English version of it out on YouTube), the losses at every Pokémon League after Kanto start to make some sense.

These 1,000 episodes of Pokémon were a fantastic ride! Smile I'll keep watching until the very end.

Hey, if there's an English version of Aim To Be A Pokemon Master (Mezase Pokemon Master), then why not post it for us to see. It's such a fantastic opening anime theme song that I wish I grew up with instead of the one made by 4Kids/WB or whatever. But in regards to the original Japanese version, Rica Matsumoto (Ash/Satoshi's Japanese voice actress) really nails it every time I hear her sing it.

In fact I'll post this for fans since this is such a special day for Pokemon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvVGTL5Miqc
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
20 years, yet Satoshi still hasn’t won a Pokémon League. Laughing
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

And I'm 100% convinced that a large percentage of Pokémon fans haven't won a championship either. There are probably a lot of competitive players who have gone to tournaments on a regular basis and still lost every single time.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Hey, if there's an English version of Aim To Be A Pokemon Master (Mezase Pokemon Master), then why not post it for us to see.

Here's the video. Smile
It's worth noting that the voice of Professor Oak in this cover is from a former 4Kids actor.

Quote:
It's such a fantastic opening anime theme song that I wish I grew up with instead of the one made by 4Kids/WB or whatever.

Agreed. I don't deny the iconic recognition of 4Kids's international in-house song Gotta Catch em' All, but Aim To Be A Pokémon Master just exudes that awesome energy that makes me want to dance like crazy! I wish I grew up with the latter song instead as well.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I've gotta admit. Making it to episode 1,000 is no small feat. Let's hope "Pokemon" goes on for a lot longer. It's a great show. Smile

It will as long as the main games and franchise is profitable. This is Nintendo we're talking about here. They know a cash cow when they see one. It's at the top where Mario & Zelda is now though the latter 2 were around about a decade before Pokemon was a thing. The upcoming Switch game will most likely herald the coming of the 8th generation and that usually means new Pokemon, new region, and a lot of new trainers and challenges. I think this thing will never die as it's way too big now to fail.

In the Mons genre of games, Pokemon is the king and won't be dethroned anytime soon. Many have tried but they've failed and either those franchised died off (Medarot & Monster Rancher come to mind as neither have had much success in recent years. The former is due to poor decision making and too many games released at once.) and others pretty much aren't dead quite yet (Yo-Kai Watch & Digimon aren't really competing against it anymore.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2