• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: In This Corner of the World Anime Film's Long Version Confirmed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
I really don't want to be a downer, but this seems like a bit of a dick move. I mean, you've waited until you sold 2 billion tickets and hundreds of thousands of discs to say there's going to be a better version out there? This sounds like something EA would do.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
In this corner of the world, as much as I like this movie's production effort, I really cannot see this movie as an "anti-war" one, more like an "anti-war-loss" movie. Portraying Japanese at that time as "victims" of war really ruins it for me, they are the ACTIVE supporter of the war (especially the invasion to China and other Southeast-Asian countries)and the biggest benefactors of the war before the surrender.

I definitely won't say this movie has done anything like "history revisionism" (it didn't, the portrayal of some sensitive materials are very realistic); but by making the Japanese at that time a bit TOO sympathetic will no doubt rub some foreign viewers the wrong way (then again, this movie's target audience is Japanese, so maybe that is the point), seriously, do they really think those two nuclear bombs were dropped for no reason?

Your Name, SAO Ordinal Scale, Silent Voice, etc are all huge in Chinese box office recently, but In this Corner of the World was not licensed at all. I was confused at first, after watching the movie, I can sorta understand why. I won't deny it is a well-made movie, but I also believe people shouldn't be surprised that viewers from the true victim countries that time finding this movie offensive, if you can put yourselves in their shoes.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
In this corner of the world, as much as I like this movie's production effort, I really cannot see this movie as an "anti-war" one, more like an "anti-war-loss" movie. Portraying Japanese at that time as "victims" of war really ruins it for me, they are the ACTIVE supporter of the war (especially the invasion to China and other Southeast-Asian countries)and the biggest benefactors of the war before the surrender.

I definitely won't say this movie has done anything like "history revisionism" (it didn't); but by making the Japanese at that time a bit TOO sympathetic will no doubt rub some foreign viewers the wrong way (then again, this movie's target audience is Japanese, so maybe that is the point), seriously, do they really think those two nuclear bombs were dropped for no reason?

Your Name, SAO Ordinal Scale, Silent Voice, etc are all huge in Chinese box office recently, but In this Corner of the World was not licensed at all. I was confused at first, after watching the movie, I can sorta understand why. I won't deny it is a well-made movie, but I also believe people shouldn't be surprised that viewers from the true victim countries that time find this movie offensive, if you can put yourselves in their shoes.

What the hell? I can understand not liking the Japanese government of the time and their military, but the CITIZENS did nothing wrong. Especially the people that got nuked. No one deserved to be nuked. There's no such thing as being TOO sympathetic to innocent citizens of a country that got killed. Even if they vocally supported the war effort and supported it with their jobs and such, there's nothing else they could've done. Going against your government at a time like that is generally not a good idea and in many places is outright a crime. If this war took place in the modern world with far more freedom, I would understand giving them a raised eyebrow for not standing up to their government. But back then it just wasn't a smart thing to do.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
Not sure what the additional material will be from. Having just finished V3, the manga series seems to encompass the whole anime's story (minus some Rin and her brothel-mate). However, since the story so far has been so engaging, I welcome seeing more of Suzu and the families. I hope they have the mangaka on board, maybe she had more ideas on the story. I think it could be interesting if they followed the adopted orphan's incorporation in the family and post-war restoration life. After all, at the AX screening, the director and mangaka (in absentia) said they wanted to present a real story about real people and, to the extent possible, re-create real moments in time.

Edit:^^WTH is right. I think this is an important movie for people even from "victim countries" to see (offended or not) because people need to understand that there are two sides to all stories. This one especially isn't trying to make any real political statements and should be easy to watch to see how life was like on the "other side". Suzu obviously supported the Empire's war but probably didn't really know what was being done because it was presented to the "common people" as a fight against aggression and bring prosperity to other nations. Another recent author who lived then in her book observed relative to Americans and the occupation that "we were told the Americans were monsters, but seeing the soldier's kindness it became obvious that the monsters weren't the Americans, it was us" .

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
I don't like this move either. I have not watched the original version of the movie, but isn't it great as it is? And the article might want to add that Shout Factory is releasing the original version of this movie this Tuesday.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
Ooooh, an extended version? Awesome! Maybe they'll finally explain why Keiko hates Suzu so much in the beginning. My parents are getting me the DVD and the manga for Christmas, so I'm all for more!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I really don't want to be a downer, but this seems like a bit of a dick move. I mean, you've waited until you sold 2 billion tickets and hundreds of thousands of discs to say there's going to be a better version out there? This sounds like something EA would do.
In his defence this is the length he wanted originally, but couldn't get due to the budget. And he can only due it now thanks to the money the film has made. I do not like it either, the recent Blu-Ray release is a bit screwed. What will they do, re-release it and dub the new scenes, re-release it as a sub-only release or will not get it at all?. But at lease it is not out of greed.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

I definitely won't say this movie has done anything like "history revisionism" (it didn't, the portrayal of some sensitive materials are very realistic); but by making the Japanese at that time a bit TOO sympathetic will no doubt rub some foreign viewers the wrong way (then again, this movie's target audience is Japanese, so maybe that is the point), seriously, do they really think those two nuclear bombs were dropped for no reason?

Your Name, SAO Ordinal Scale, Silent Voice, etc are all huge in Chinese box office recently, but In this Corner of the World was not licensed at all. I was confused at first, after watching the movie, I can sorta understand why. I won't deny it is a well-made movie, but I also believe people shouldn't be surprised that viewers from the true victim countries that time finding this movie offensive, if you can put yourselves in their shoes.
I've not seen the movie yet. i got the movie BD waiting to be watched. But just saying this here. The normal people of any nation, Germans, Japanese etcetc are ALSO victim of the wars their goverment started. And lets not forget the multiple wars the American goverment started with no good reason. Iraq for example. Should we hold the normals people responseable for the crimes their goverment commit?

Like i said, I have not seen the movie yet. But as i read the synopsis it tells a story of a woman during the war. I just wanted to give my two cents on the matter.

Ontopic: Are you f*** kiding me? I just picked up the special limited edition on BD!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
Reminds me when I got the Japanese discs of Date a Live and a year later a box of the first season comes out with extended episodes...
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

What the hell? I can understand not liking the Japanese government of the time and their military, but the CITIZENS did nothing wrong. Especially the people that got nuked. No one deserved to be nuked. There's no such thing as being TOO sympathetic to innocent citizens of a country that got killed. Even if they vocally supported the war effort and supported it with their jobs and such, there's nothing else they could've done. Going against your government at a time like that is generally not a good idea and in many places is outright a crime. If this war took place in the modern world with far more freedom, I would understand giving them a raised eyebrow for not standing up to their government. But back then it just wasn't a smart thing to do.

I think you misunderstood my point. In my post I did not say they deserve to be nuked (that is the strategic decision of US Government, so I won't use it against Japanese that time), of course not, no one deserves to be nuked.

To say citizens did nothing wrong is downright insensitive though. One thing you seem to ignore is that the Japanese citizens that time were not forced to be vocally and actively supportive to the war, they voluntarily did, they want to support that decision from their bottom of hearts, that is the difference. Sorry, I have watched too many documentaries (in Chinese and Japanese) and did too much research to know what really happened.

"Too sympathetic" was referring to portraying the Japanese as completely innocent, peace-loving people. Of course, it's Japanese propaganda that time did most of the work, so citizens believe the war is not invasion but "salvation" to other countries instead. But would it be too much to ask, that some can understand "some lines" (you know what I am talking about) can cause discomfort to "foreign viewers".

I still like this movie, make no mistake. All I am saying is this movie is definitely not an anti-war movie, I did not see the cruelty of the war or subtle sentiments being portrayed, but rather, they are mourning that they have lost the war (aka "anti-war-loss movie)

I will stop here. Since I am NOT against this movie in general, but rather finding some ideas a bit questionable. Let's stay on topic then, looking forward to the extra materials.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Now this is a bind. The announcement implies the long version is the "complete" version, so one would be better off waiting for it. But you don't have to look far to see examples where the director's "true vision" is the inferior one, or at least is so alike the original as to defeat the point of adding/changing anything, so maybe it's better to get the current release while it's still available. Really this is something that should have been announced after the theatrical release, though maybe his distributors wanted him to keep shtum till the BDs & international licenses sold.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Will be looking forward to this. I thought it ended rather abruptly. In a space of a couple minutes spoiler[Suzu and her husband go to ground zero, adopt a homeless child, return - have a family reunion - then fade to black.] It seemed a little bit rushed - maybe that was not the original intention but one done out of budgetary consideration.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this is all that bad. A lot of Hollywood films get Director's Cuts or Extended Versions. It doesn't seem all that uncalled for, for a successful anime film to get the same. Personally, I found the pacing to be pretty stilted in the theatrical version, so as soon as I heard this was happening, I cancelled by BD preorder and will be waiting on this. I really hope it gets a release. This is the version that I want to see, own, and show to everyone else, no doubt.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
In this corner of the world, as much as I like this movie's production effort, I really cannot see this movie as an "anti-war" one, more like an "anti-war-loss" movie.

It's a war-time movie and depicts how japanese citizens struggled during that time and how they overcame their struggles; nothing more and nothing less. In order to understand normal peoples' everyday struggles and to connect with them, it's completely normal to portray them as sympathetic. What you wish is a different kind of movie in a different genre with a different message. In this corner of the world is definitely not for you.

Quote:
(then again, this movie's target audience is Japanese, so maybe that is the point),

Exactly. But one can also enjoy the movie even when japanese citizens of that time period are portrayed – as they are so often – as victims of WWII.

Quote:
seriously, do they really think those two nuclear bombs were dropped for no reason?

You can't expect from a japanese audience, especially survivors of the bombs, to think "We totally deserved that!" It's unrealistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I don't think this is all that bad. A lot of Hollywood films get Director's Cuts or Extended Versions. It doesn't seem all that uncalled for, for a successful anime film to get the same.

I am looking at this from an artistic integrity angle. I want to think that when a movie is shown in theaters is because the product is as good as it can be. I have watched anime movies that did not leave me that satisfied, but I rather not see a corrected/extended version. I am perhaps too much of a romantic, but the true movie should always be the original version, even if it was not as great as it could/should have been.

And I don't think success is a great reason to do an extended version of a movie or any work of entertainment. How would you feel if Makoto Shinkai announced a corrected/extended version of Your Name? I would not like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2