Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Recovery of an MMO Junkie's Episode 11 OVA on December 15




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
phia_one



Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Posts: 1586
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I just caught up with this series a few days ago. OMG I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE OVA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MJKS



Joined: 28 Jul 2017
Posts: 102
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5344
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Weird that Crunchyroll only announced it today, when an interview a few days ago revealed it. I guess they didn't want to say it until they aired the first 10? Whatever lol. Weird.

Still don't understand why they chose that English title. The one in the eye catches and such, "Recommendation of the Wonderful Virtual Life" makes far more sense. The anime never once degrades Moriko's NEET life.The anime isn't about "Recovery" nor does it ever paint it as a negative thing like "junkie". The title Crunchyroll chose, "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" is just outright misleading.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 3717
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, didn't expect that. Usually CR doesn't get OVAs, and occassionally when they do, it's much later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
Subscriber



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 21297
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Weird that Crunchyroll only announced it today, when an interview a few days ago revealed it. I guess they didn't want to say it until they aired the first 10? Whatever lol. Weird.

Still don't understand why they chose that English title. The one in the eye catches and such, "Recommendation of the Wonderful Virtual Life" makes far more sense. The anime never once degrades Moriko's NEET life.The anime isn't about "Recovery" nor does it ever paint it as a negative thing like "junkie". The title Crunchyroll chose, "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" is just outright misleading.


I'd say you have completely missed the point of this show. It's true that as a light comedy, this title did not paint a super dark picture of the NEET lifestyle, but it is clear that it is about a woman who has retreated from real life into gaming and her journey to being able to do deal with real people, again. She even says in the final episode, she wants to "take a step forward." It was also clear that Moriko felt shame, embarrassment, etc over her NEETness. She assumes that Sakurai would not want to be associated with her in public, etc. If the story continued far enough, we would probably see her re-enter the workforce (a step that, realistically, she'd have to do at some point whether she was ready or not).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Raebo101



Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 751
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY hope FUNimation can dub this before the home video release! I've been really enjoying it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Melicans



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 483
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I hope that "certain person" is the brown-haired woman from the ending. It really annoys me when an OP/ED shows a character who never actually appears in the broadcast (looking at you too, Yunyun).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 13092
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Still don't understand why they chose that English title. The one in the eye catches and such, "Recommendation of the Wonderful Virtual Life" makes far more sense. The anime never once degrades Moriko's NEET life.The anime isn't about "Recovery" nor does it ever paint it as a negative thing like "junkie". The title Crunchyroll chose, "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" is just outright misleading.

Blood- has a good explanation. Also, from a marketing standpoint, "MMO Junkie" sounds catchier. Let's not forgot that the Japanese rights holders often sign off these title decisions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ultimatehaki



Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Posts: 1090
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
I hope that "certain person" is the brown-haired woman from the ending. It really annoys me when an OP/ED shows a character who never actually appears in the broadcast (looking at you too, Yunyun).


Lol same, but maybe it's hope of a second season...? Pls
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
Subscriber



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 21297
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Still don't understand why they chose that English title. The one in the eye catches and such, "Recommendation of the Wonderful Virtual Life" makes far more sense. The anime never once degrades Moriko's NEET life.The anime isn't about "Recovery" nor does it ever paint it as a negative thing like "junkie". The title Crunchyroll chose, "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" is just outright misleading.

Blood- has a good explanation. Also, from a marketing standpoint, "MMO Junkie" sounds catchier. Let's not forgot that the Japanese rights holders often sign off these title decisions.


Not often - always. A licensee has no discretion just to make up any old title they want. It has to be approved.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group