• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Recovery of an MMO Junkie's Episode 11 OVA on December 15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I just caught up with this series a few days ago. OMG I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE OVA
MJKS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Weird that Crunchyroll only announced it today, when an interview a few days ago revealed it. I guess they didn't want to say it until they aired the first 10? Whatever lol. Weird.

Still don't understand why they chose that English title. The one in the eye catches and such, "Recommendation of the Wonderful Virtual Life" makes far more sense. The anime never once degrades Moriko's NEET life.The anime isn't about "Recovery" nor does it ever paint it as a negative thing like "junkie". The title Crunchyroll chose, "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" is just outright misleading.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, didn't expect that. Usually CR doesn't get OVAs, and occassionally when they do, it's much later.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Weird that Crunchyroll only announced it today, when an interview a few days ago revealed it. I guess they didn't want to say it until they aired the first 10? Whatever lol. Weird.

Still don't understand why they chose that English title. The one in the eye catches and such, "Recommendation of the Wonderful Virtual Life" makes far more sense. The anime never once degrades Moriko's NEET life.The anime isn't about "Recovery" nor does it ever paint it as a negative thing like "junkie". The title Crunchyroll chose, "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" is just outright misleading.

I'd say you have completely missed the point of this show. It's true that as a light comedy, this title did not paint a super dark picture of the NEET lifestyle, but it is clear that it is about a woman who has retreated from real life into gaming and her journey to being able to do deal with real people, again. She even says in the final episode, she wants to "take a step forward." It was also clear that Moriko felt shame, embarrassment, etc over her NEETness. She assumes that Sakurai would not want to be associated with her in public, etc. If the story continued far enough, we would probably see her re-enter the workforce (a step that, realistically, she'd have to do at some point whether she was ready or not).
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY hope FUNimation can dub this before the home video release! I've been really enjoying it.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I hope that "certain person" is the brown-haired woman from the ending. It really annoys me when an OP/ED shows a character who never actually appears in the broadcast (looking at you too, Yunyun).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Blood- has a good explanation. Also, from a marketing standpoint, "MMO Junkie" sounds catchier. Let's not forgot that the Japanese rights holders often sign off these title decisions.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
I hope that "certain person" is the brown-haired woman from the ending. It really annoys me when an OP/ED shows a character who never actually appears in the broadcast (looking at you too, Yunyun).

Lol same, but maybe it's hope of a second season...? Pls
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Blood- has a good explanation. Also, from a marketing standpoint, "MMO Junkie" sounds catchier. Let's not forgot that the Japanese rights holders often sign off these title decisions.

Not often - always. A licensee has no discretion just to make up any old title they want. It has to be approved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1