Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Police Arrest 9 Tied to 'Haruka Yume no Ato' Manga Linking Site




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nekki Basara



Joined: 17 Oct 2017
Posts: 17
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
The Japanese are so oblivious as to how to hide their tracks.

After news like this from time to time they still don't learn.

Moreover Japanese should definitely not run this kind of site, just provide the content anonymously and leave it to foreigners that don't live in japan evidently. However millennials nowadays are too hungry for online fame and recognition that this is what happens, while the old guys just don't know nor understand the internet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shiratori-san



Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Posts: 57
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
I don't understand what the police is thinking. First, they only have links, that shouldn't be illegal... I think. But even if it was, wouldn't it be a great place for the police to quickly find out who and where the real pirate sites are?

Anyway, I'm sure that since this pirate hunt begun, the manga/anime industry sales have raised a whole lot (only not).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nekki Basara



Joined: 17 Oct 2017
Posts: 17
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:
I don't understand what the police is thinking. First, they only have links, that shouldn't be illegal... I think. But even if it was, wouldn't it be a great place for the police to quickly find out who and where the real pirate sites are?

Anyway, I'm sure that since this pirate hunt begun, the manga/anime industry sales have raised a whole lot (only not).


They can do NOTHING with foreign sites run by foreigners (they are not Hollywood/USA in which they can do anything they want even overseas if they wanted), that is why they want to at least go after naive Japanese that surf the net with their real ip and post their real names probably here and there.

Shiratori-san wrote:
First, they only have links, that shouldn't be illegal...


They are aware, that is why the are charging them with "facilitating" copyright infringement.

Shiratori-san wrote:

Anyway, I'm sure that since this pirate hunt begun, the manga/anime industry sales have raised a whole lot (only not).


There is no hunt per se, this happens every now and then, they have to justify their salaries I guess.

All studies (by third parties) point to piracy having barely any effect at all and some even concluded that it actually has helped the entertainment industry to grow even bigger and get even more sales than ever before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 2039
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The ACCS values the amount of copyrighted content linked from the site from July 2016 to June 2017 as worth 73.1 billion yen (about US$6.45 billion)

You mean US$645 million? Did you perhaps paste it into google rate calculator and forgot to remove the '1' from the input first?...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AJ (LordNikon)



Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 343
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:
I don't understand what the police is thinking. First, they only have links, that shouldn't be illegal... I think. But even if it was, wouldn't it be a great place for the police to quickly find out who and where the real pirate sites are?

Anyway, I'm sure that since this pirate hunt begun, the manga/anime industry sales have raised a whole lot (only not).


I know really, and to think that those host linking sites run for free, so there clearly is not any sort of advertising on the site; no possible way that those running a host linking site could be in any way be monetizing their web page at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 1841
Location: USA (mid-south)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

I know really, and to think that those host linking sites run for free, so there clearly is not any sort of advertising on the site; no possible way that those running a host linking site could be in any way be monetizing their web page at all.

Are you assuming that because you don't see any ads in that one screen shot?

There are ways to monetize a site without any immediately visible ads. One way is to route the person to an ad as soon as they click a link. There is also a newer way, but as I doubt it was used by the site, I'll leave that for another discussion.


Whether they monetize or not makes little difference under the laws in Japan. Remember all those past articles on people getting arrested for uploading anime or manga via Share? It wasn't as if they were getting paid for that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 2039
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
There are ways to monetize a site without any immediately visible ads. One way is to route the person to an ad as soon as they click a link. There is also a newer way, but as I doubt it was used by the site, I'll leave that for another discussion

You mean bitcoin miner Coinhive? Most adblockers have that blocked by now, probably a lot of the AV software out there as well, and lacking that, just add the relevant entries into the hosts file(if on Windows).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 12670
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Concerning the issue of manga-hosting sites, this reminds me of a late May 2016 thread where the thread OP wanted to bring balance among publishers and scanlators. The fellow posters pointed out how such an idea doesn't seem practical.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 5992
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Nekki Basara wrote:
The Japanese are so oblivious as to how to hide their tracks.

After news like this from time to time they still don't learn.

Moreover Japanese should definitely not run this kind of site, just provide the content anonymously and leave it to foreigners that don't live in japan evidently. However millennials nowadays are too hungry for online fame and recognition that this is what happens, while the old guys just don't know nor understand the internet.


This isn't representative of anything. The Japanese government likes to publicize these arrests to make it seem like they're doing a good job. The piracy is just bad as it is in any other country
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Another month. Another piracy news post. As expected.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group