• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix Lists Violet Evergarden Anime in Some Countries on January 11, But Anime's Site Still Lists

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The show's official website still states that Netflix will stream the series inside Japan starting in January when the anime airs on Japanese television, and will then stream the series outside of Japan starting in spring 2018

Ha, if Netflix really believes we'll wait to Spring to watch it, I have a bridge to sell them.... Laughing
YandereLover5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
And they think we'll wait til spring lol
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
Dunno why do we get to check out the anime this early.
Adam_Blazar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
Something tells me, that either Netflix has buggered up, or Anime Limited and the other licencors pushed to have it simulcasted
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing it was in error, so I'm not getting my hopes up until there is more firm evidence. While I would like to see it earlier, I'll be waiting until Netflix puts it out, especially for such a stunning visual production.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
The show's official website still states that Netflix will stream the series inside Japan starting in January when the anime airs on Japanese television, and will then stream the series outside of Japan starting in spring 2018

Ha, if Netflix really believes we'll wait to Spring to watch it, I have a bridge to sell them.... Laughing

I mean maybe you won't but I will. Don't use we when speaking about yourself.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:

Apparently you have little patience. I mean manga readers have to wait months (sometimes years) sometimes before it makes it overseas. Same could be said for dub only watchers. Is it really so bad to wait three months and have it available dubbed in 3-5 languages and all released at the same time? Doing all that in three months time is still pretty impressive if you ask me.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Apparently you have little patience. I mean manga readers have to wait months (sometimes years) sometimes before it makes it overseas. Same could be said for dub only watchers. Is it really so bad to wait three months and have it available dubbed in 3-5 languages and all released at the same time? Doing all that in three months time is still pretty impressive if you ask me.

Well Hell's Bells, and yet the industry struggles to grasp why piracy is rampant. I would have to argue, Netflix is the best justification pirates have been able to make use of since the days they use to sub VHS tapes and mail them to the US.

The fact that they will delay a US release by three months over releasing in the UK and Canada really makes me shake my head, and the fact that Netflix would suggest this sort of delay to our home market of Japan, REALLY makes me loath this company as a whole.

Last edited by AJ (LordNikon) on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
IloveArmpits

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
This apear for brazil too, soo i used the netflix suport for confirme... and they confirmed the serie will have a new episode in day 11...
Robbl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The following countries have the listing for 11th January:
Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Sweden, Taiwan, Turkey, Vietnam, United Kingdom
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
I mean maybe you won't but I will.

No-one's denying you that. It's your choice. Smile And even if I'd watch it legally I wouldn't have to wait, as per Robbl's post above. Wink Happy New Year!!
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Canada is on the possible simulcast list? Very nice.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:

To be honest, it’s no use trying to talk to hardcore anime fans about this issue. Because even just regular anime fans have enough patience to wait a couple months.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Still have to laugh at the Netflix "Original" moniker. Anyways, while Netflix is the streaming licensee, has the home video licensee been announced?

Also, I don't know if this was discussed in the Q&A at the Anime Expo 2017 premiere of the series, but did they say how much of the Violet Evergarden novel is being adapted by the TV show? Is it the whole novel? I wonder about that because if it's not a complete adaptation, then there could be a chance for a OVA or movie afterward, like Beyond the Boundary, another KyoAni novel adaptation. This also pertains to the home video release because usually the followup stuff is only obtainable by that means.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
It makes little sense why Netflix would simulcast in all those countries, but not in Netflix’s home country of the US. But if that actually ends up being the case, you bet I’m not waiting for the official release. VE looks like a show I want a week to digest and discuss each episode with the community, rather than binge it.
Besides, it makes no difference to Netflix if you watch the fansubs your first time, and then “rewatch” on Netflix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4