• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pop Culture Extravaganza Ready Player One Film Adds Spike's Spaceship

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Ernest Cline and Speilberg are getting desperate to get people to watch this movie.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
It’s in the book and the description of it, like most of said book, was offensively dry.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It’s in the book and the description of it, like most of said book, was offensively dry.

Here, let me paraphrase the book:

"I'm a geek, and I know many obscure, geeky things about pop culture. Like Star Wars and Indiana Jones. I even know about anime. Cowboy Bebop. Robotech. Miyazaki. Tremble before my massive knowledge of geekery!"
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much.

Someone made a parody song about the book that’s a riff on “We didn’t start the fire.”

https://soundcloud.com/user-5989496/1980s-reference

“Simple recognition is my only mission” indeed.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I've heard more about the pop culture references in the film more than I have any actual plot.
LucianGreyfold

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I am disappointed by how they are just shoving all the pop culture references without talking about the heart of the book that the movie is based on. I finished reading the book a 2nd time just a few months back and I really enjoyed it, but these trailers don't do justice to the plot within the book or the characters. I will still check it out, but I just don't get a positive feeling from the trailer and even my wife who loves anime, gaming, and scifi said it looked boring to her.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

"I'm a geek, and I know many obscure, geeky things about pop culture. Like Star Wars and Indiana Jones. I even know about anime. Cowboy Bebop. Robotech. Miyazaki. Tremble before my massive knowledge of geekery!"

None of those are obscure in the slightest bit. Nobody is a geek for liking billion dollar movie franchises, despite what modern pop culture branding says.

-Stuart Smith
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
"Ultraman will not appear due to licensing reasons."

It's Chaiyo's fault, isn't it. Confound you, Chaiyo. This is probably the biggest opportunity Tsuburaya could have to reintroduce the character to American audiences.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
This movie just sounds super cringy
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This movie just sounds super cringy

Then it will be just like the book which was honestly painful. Making fun of the references stopped being fun when they only got more wooden.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Glad I'm not the only who isn't thrilled by the trailers and finds them annoyingly cringey. ProZD's video about it is basically my reaction.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I feel like I've heard more about the pop culture references in the film more than I have any actual plot.

That is the plot.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the book was pretty much a big serving of memberries. It's honestly annoying how much modern pop and nerd culture has descended into an spiral of autoreferences and 80s idolatry. That or being douches about other people not being true fans because they play Numenera or FATE instead of GURPS. It's telling that the book's author has been said to go everywhere with a DeLorean. OG Spielberg could've done something with the book but nowadays even he isn't what he used to be.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

None of those are obscure in the slightest bit. Nobody is a geek for liking billion dollar movie franchises, despite what modern pop culture branding says.

steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, I wasn't expecting so much hate in the comments section! I admit that the book wasn't amazing, but I'm looking forward to the movie in a sheer spectacle sense. And yeah, for the nerd references. People talk about how the references are all pretty mainstream (I don't think the main character choosing a Supaidaman mecha or playing through a virtual planet made from the game Zork is totally mainstream and played out, but ymmv), but I do think it can be fun to watch a kid blasting around in the DeLorean and picking fights with the Army of Darkness dudes. It's totally what I would do.

I'll give the movie a chance (I mean I have a MoviePass, it's not like it costs me anything Very Happy). I think the book had enough beyond just the references and the formulaic plot that the movie adaptation has a chance to be good, if they keep the fun stuff and improve on the weak bits. Crossing my fingers!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2