• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dinosaur King Returns to U.S. TV on February 5

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Confused

For a kids anime, this one was pretty awful. The story made absolutely no sense. spoiler[Rex's parents] go back in time to save dinosaurs via card transformation. Like, WHAT?!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of this channel. Then again, it is fairly new. I have heard of Dinosaur King. It's even on Netflix. I wonder why they licensed it.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Never heard of this channel. Then again, it is fairly new. I have heard of Dinosaur King. It's even on Netflix. I wonder why they licensed it.

The head of the block used to work for 4Kids. This show has a lot of episodes re-versioned for U.S. broadcast and was probably inexpensive to pick up.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Technically, Dinosaur King was already back on US TV. I think it's Comcast/xfinity-exclusive, but there is a channel on there called PrimoTV, and they've been airing the show just every night for their "somewhat anime block", along with another show called GGO Football (and previously World Trigger, but they don't seem to be airing that one anymore). I had only noticed the channel some months ago, but they seem to have been airing Dinosaur King for a while, at least.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Dinosaur King is not what I wanna be spoiler[yeah]
OjaruFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
They should’ve picked up WowMax Next’s dubbed pilots (Ninja Boys: Quest for the Cosmic Front, PriPara, and Net Ghosts PiPoPa, in case you were wondering) instead, imo. I have nothing against Dinosaur King being aired for the newer generation of kids, but why ignore dubbed pilots that have yet to be released in the US for a show that’s been re-released a good amount of times?
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan wrote:
They should’ve picked up WowMax Next’s dubbed pilots (Ninja Boys: Quest for the Cosmic Front, PriPara, and Net Ghosts PiPoPa, in case you were wondering) instead, imo. I have nothing against Dinosaur King being aired for the newer generation of kids, but why ignore dubbed pilots that have yet to be released in the US for a show that’s been re-released a good amount of times?

So far this block hasn't commissioned any original productions. They've run stuff that hasn't aired in the US before but it's all stuff they've pulled from a library, not something they funded to get made.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
so they're airing the Digimon ripoff that had Ash's old voice actress as the main character. meh
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
There’s a few mistakes in the opening paragraph. ThisTV isn’t a premium network. It’s a free digital broadcast network, that’s generally available OTA or on local cable providers. It’s generally on a digital substation of a TV station with another network affiliation

Also, the channel isn’t owned by Sinclair. ThisTV is owned by Tribune and MGM. Sinclair is attempting to buy Tribune, but the deal is still on hold pending regulatory approval. It may not go through, and it’s possible that ThisTV may not be included in the final deal. A lot of consumer groups are suing to block the merger, as it would give Sinclair control of local TV news outlets in 75% of the country.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
Oh goody, it's being brought to us by the Sinclair Broadcast Group! Can't wait to see how they work all the paeans to free market virtues, xenophobic fearmongering about immigrants, and pro-regime cheerleading into their adaptations.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
Sinclair is attempting to buy Tribune, but the deal is still on hold pending regulatory approval.
So basically, it's a done deal then.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
It's a bit weird Dinosaur King of all things is getting aired on U.S. TV again yet Toei seems to be having a lot of difficulty finding a US network to air the Appmon Digimon spin off.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

dragonrider_cody wrote:
Sinclair is attempting to buy Tribune, but the deal is still on hold pending regulatory approval.
So basically, it's a done deal then.

Considering the current administration, and the fact that Sinclair has strong conservative leanings and largely nationalized or outsourced their local news productions, most likely.

The FCC even relaxed the limits on how many TV stations a company can own, and how many can be in overlapping markets. Apparently, we have too much diversity among the half dozen companies that control the majority of American TV.
OjaruFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's a bit weird Dinosaur King of all things is getting aired on U.S. TV again yet Toei seems to be having a lot of difficulty finding a US network to air the Appmon Digimon spin off.

Toei probably hasn't even started dubbing Appmon, tbh.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
This TV is NOT a "U.S. premium channel" - practically the opposite. It is a freely available digital broadcast television network. As in it is a network that you can, I think, ONLY see on local TV stations via your digital antenna. I'm not sure it's even available on any Cable TV packages in the U.S.

It's not even usually a channel itself, it's usually just a sub-channel packaged with another Network's station. In my city I think it's packaged with the CBS station- Like 58.2 or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
This TV is NOT a "U.S. premium channel" - practically the opposite. It is a freely available digital broadcast television network. As in it is a network that you can, I think, ONLY see on local TV stations via your digital antenna. I'm not sure it's even available on any Cable TV packages in the U.S.

It’s a digital substation Network, so how it’s packaged and promoted depends on the channel. Our local ThisTV station is a primary NBC affiliate, but doesn’t include any of the NBC logos or branding on the substations. It does include the regular WPXI logo though.

I can’t speak for everywhere, but most cable systems do carry it. If the local channel has “must carry” status, which most major network affiliates do, then the cable companies are often required to carry the digital substations as well, or do so to avoid running afoul of vague FCC rules.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2