• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toji no Miko Game App Streams Comedy Anime Short

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
Why is this anime not popular or well received enough? I've been liking it so far and better than expected. The story had enough twists in the way some classic tropes are played and interactions are decent.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:
Why is this anime not popular or well received enough? I've been liking it so far and better than expected. The story had enough twists in the way some classic tropes are played and interactions are decent.

I'm enjoying it. I ended up being completely wrong about which direction the story would go, at least so far, and I appreciate surprises like that.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:
I think the problem was that the story was rushed in the first episode to get to the twist which was a good hook for viewers but caused it to get a lower score with reviewers. So far Katana Maidens has been entertaining and it is nice to get an original two cour show.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:

On the last ANNCast they talked for a bit about the tendency of fans nowadays to identify some element of a currently-airing show as flawed, and then use that as a reason to dismiss the whole thing as garbage. Sadly, the first episode of Toji no Miko had a lot of unpolished elements, and as a result a lot of people didn't stick around and wait for the show to find its footing. (Personally, though, it's been my favorite show of the season so far.)
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:

I’m enjoying the show a hell of a lot more than I thought I would going into it. The first episode, like others have said already, had issues, but unfortunately, many people had assumed that the rest of the series would be like the first episode and left it, whereas so far, that’s very far from the case. This show is actually within my top 5 season, and I don’t mean that in a way to say it’s been a mediocre season. It’s actually been subverting my expectations pretty decently and it’s pretty entertaining, especially for its’ genre. I’m just hoping that more people can eventually come back to it and give the show a chance past the first episode. I think that they’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what ya'll are watching. I gave it 3 full episodes and it was still pretty low quality generic "garbage". Story didn't seem completely awful but it wasn't that unique and basically everything else was really low tier.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Not sure what ya'll are watching. I gave it 3 full episodes and it was still pretty low quality generic "garbage". Story didn't seem completely awful but it wasn't that unique and basically everything else was really low tier.

The fact that you even think of stuff like story in terms of "tiers" means our opinions on genre shows will probably rarely match up, then. Very Happy
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

The fact that you even think of stuff like story in terms of "tiers" means our opinions on genre shows will probably rarely match up, then. Very Happy

Agreed. Anyone that tries to think up “Tiers” for that type of thing in anime are being foolish, although I’m not surprised by this type of reaction considering who it’s coming from. I’m pretty sure the rest of the people watching the show are confused by what you watched. Besides, garbage is way too harsh (quite inaccurate, too) a word to use to describe this show, as it implies that it’s doing something people actively dislike, which I haven’t seen any semblance of from the show thus far. Originality/Uniqueness is overrated, too. Just because it’s “original” (In this day and age, everything being made has some aspect of it that’s already been done before), it doesn’t guarantee that it will be good/entertaining.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
While I don’t rate it as highly as some here, I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would and it has become one of the shows I most look forward to on Fridays this season. There are a number of shows currently being reviewed that I’d rate this above. It isn’t the most unique show this season, but the most unique one this season in my opinion - Pop Team Epic -does seem to evince the idea that uniqueness is not always inherently good. I like it more than this show, but it is pretty clear that not everyone is as fond of its unique style as I and others are, reasonably so.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I am liking it so far. May not be in the same level as Violet and FranxX but this anime is nice on its own. It is two-cour and it has an upcoming mobile game so there is still time for the series to be noticed by more people. We really need more true all-girls anime like HaiFuri and Toji no Miko.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1