• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cutie Honey Universe Anime Casts Rui Tanabe, Yūki Hirose, Ippei Orishima

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sylontack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
I'm actually livid that this is the first entry to deviate from the theme song going off of the title (which I'm sure is great for people who were over the song but I love it).

I'll still be watching it because I love Cutie Honey but I'll admit as superficial as it is, it's a big part of the franchise for me and an excellent hype up at the beginning of an episode, I'm worried that I won't get as excited without those introductory notes Razz
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
I agree that NOT having a new track of the classic theme song is a bad move.

They've done some very good renditions of it in the recent past. The Re: Cutie Honey is probably my favorite version but none of the animated versions had bad takes on it (excepting Cutie Honey F; I have no idea about the theme song there).

It's a catchy theme song that has survived reinterpretation after reinterpretation.

The only thing that's really sucked is the live-action done after the first live-action film and the Sailor Moon version of Cutie Honey (F) done in the late 1990s. That show didn't even LOOK much like Cutie Honey and it was real obvious it was the same production company that did the last season of Sailor Moon.

I'd be more concerned about the production company on this show and at least one inexplicable decision --

WHY would you have different actresses playing the transformations of Honey that AREN'T the base form (Honey Kisaragi) or the fighter (red-haired)?

Won't that confuse the viewers? I guess I just don't understand WHY you would cast 6-8 women to play the same character!

I don't know -- I thought they did fine in the past when it was the same woman, I don't know, actually having to vamp it up or do whatever to sell the mode/costume Honey was currently using?

Chances are, we won't even SEE this show in the West unless Crunchyroll or one of the online services actually licenses it. Go Nagai just isn't that popular outside of Japan.

I'd say chances are less than 50% this series will actually get licensed by a North American company.

So... Other than the announced chances, this is just basically a remake of the original series which is out on DVD in the US.
Gotcha! I think I'll just stick to what I already own.
Ay! Another remake...
Mosaic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
I'm actually livid that this is the first entry to deviate from the theme song going off of the title (which I'm sure is great for people who were over the song but I love it).

The latest live action film, Cutie Honey Tears, didn't use the theme song either. It only appeared as an insert song for like, 15 seconds. Even still, this is really disappointing. I can understand Tears not using the song, since it's a film with a radically different tone, but this new series is clearly geared towards fans of the original.

I mean, I guess it was bound to happen. Cutie Honey The Live dropped the use of Honey's speeches, and her title of "Warrior of Love" was only used in the final episode. The "Honey" in Cutie Honey Tears isn't even named Honey, she's Hitomi. A drastic change like this was inevitable.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
Mosaic wrote:
Sylontack wrote:

The latest live action film, Cutie Honey Tears, didn't use the theme song either. It only appeared as an insert song for like, 15 seconds. Even still, this is really disappointing. I can understand Tears not using the song, since it's a film with a radically different tone, but this new series is clearly geared towards fans of the original.

I mean, I guess it was bound to happen. Cutie Honey The Live dropped the use of Honey's speeches, and her title of "Warrior of Love" was only used in the final episode. The "Honey" in Cutie Honey Tears isn't even named Honey, she's Hitomi. A drastic change like this was inevitable.

I hope the new anime will use the remix of every Cutie Honey anime has for opening
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, with any luck we will have a Crybaby OP situation, where there's a new OP but the old theme is in there somewhere. I'd say the new designs hints at them cleaning up and modernizing Nagai's wackier side a bit...
Quote:
He appears to have a preoccupation with his but.

But they aren't getting rid of it completly. Very Happy
Sylontack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Mosaic wrote:

I'd actually forgotten that they didn't use the song for Tears, likely because I both replayed the scene that used the track in the background (because it was the closest thing I could get) and because I listened to the track a couple of times so it's planted in my mind.
In Tears' defense I don't recall they even had an opening song (given the tone of the film that was probably the best decision. I liked Tears but I don't think Cutie Honey warrants a serious take, given the campiness is such a major part of the appeal in my opinion) but nevertheless it's such a fun staple of the property.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I’m hoping they do what Crybaby did. It worked there pretty well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1