• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: All Out!! BD/DVD Part 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely one that improves as it goes on. The first eight or so episodes are kind of weak. Not bad, necessarily, but very paint by numbers sports anime. By the time it ended though, I was genuinely sad to see it go.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The art isn't pretty or even particularly polished when it comes to faces (and there are some very odd ones)

Man, that's an understatement! While most are ok, there are a few who barely look human. But Sekizan's hair makes up for it all. Very Happy

I agree that the series could've benefited from a little more explaining of the game, but overall it was quite fun to watch. I think one of the things that sets this series apart in its genre is that while the players are all competitive, they just flat-out love the game, and want everyone to love playing it, even their opponents. Now and then you get someone asking "Do you even like playing ____?" and the question gets some thoughtful answers sometimes, but I don't think I've felt this much sheer joy of the sport from the players in any other sports anime I've seen. Even when All Out!!'s boys lose, they seem to be happy just to have played, and are simply more determined to play better next time.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised this got licensed, never mind dubbed, I thought Rugby was an alien sport in America?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
It's part of FuniRoll, as far as I know. Rugby was the only sports team that was any good at my college, but I certainly hadn't heard of it until then. (And that's where the aforementioned "don't build a snowfort on their field" lesson came into play...they could be very scary women.)

@Gina

My sister and I kept track of who was who by their faces rather than their hair (as I did in Haikyu; I suck at names), and one guy we just called "Wing Cheeks." Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I take it you're referring to this guy. Very Happy

Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
However did you guess?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1