• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Persona 5 Work as an Anime Adaptation?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I could honestly do without the "All Out" attack sequences, they just don't look right in an anime setting, it would be better to actually animate the pummeling I think or just not do it at all.

I wish the time skip back to the present was animated better, the way the game did it like it was flipping through a calendar was better than the sideways scroll.

That ending scene that jumps way ahead in the story was hideously unnecessary and gives away all of the members... but then again so does the new OP. Even the game tried to keep the later members a loosely guarded secret.

Does Igor spoiler[not have two different voices in the Japanese audio track for the game? In English he has distinctly different voices between the bulk of the game and the final arc. The voice we've heard in the anime so far sounds like the same voice I remember him having in P4A.]

But overall I think the anime is doing the best that can be expected. I hope that as the series goes on we'll see fewer game-play elements and maybe get to a point where we forget this is based on a game.

And can we all just agree that Morgana's cat form animation is phenomenal!? Talking animals tend to be very hit or miss in anime, sometimes not even bothering to animate their mouths properly, but his mouth flaps were great, his movements were great, and just his overall slightly scruffy look is great. Cat Morgana steals every scene he's in. Anime catgrin

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I just don't like Persona 5 Anime fights since there barely any action which is really disappointing since Persona 4 Anime fights had action.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I wish the time skip back to the present was animated better, the way the game did it like it was flipping through a calendar was better than the sideways scroll.

Yes, it's the only thing that makes me displease, most of the recent games based animes were far from being faithful to the original work ( not that it's always bad nor good, that's case-by-case basis ) but I find that making the anime so faithful to the game is a good choice and rather humoristic, for exemple, the persona guillotine, the shopping before dungeon, the Pixie scene which consist in acquiring a new persona by speaking to them often in a ridiculous way depending of their personality, i would never have thought they would have adapted such scenes so with this adaptation being so faithful rather than asking myself what will happens next in the story which i already know thanks to the game i find myself asking " will this useless but funny scene that's usually rarely adapted be reproduced ? " .

Araragifeels wrote:
I just don't like Persona 5 Anime fights since there barely any action which is really disappointing since Persona 4 Anime fights had action.

Can't say there will be more later because of this persona theme which is more hiding in the shadow than standing under the spotlight but the first dungeon didn't have a lot of fight in the game and was a kind of turorial ( we had to use some persona spell against specific monsters which were weak to them, in the anime the same kind of monster and spell used against them were reproduced )
Joa

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Does Igor spoiler[not have two different voices in the Japanese audio track for the game? In English he has distinctly different voices between the bulk of the game and the final arc. The voice we've heard in the anime so far sounds like the same voice I remember him having in P4A.]

spoiler[His voice is different from P4A. The reason Igor has a different voice in P5 to begin with is because his original voice actor, Isamu Tanonaka, died in 2010. Fake Igor in P5 is played by Masane Tsukayama. Real Igor near the end of the game has recycled voice clips from 3 and 4.]
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

He has two different voices... and shame on you for not playing in japanese Mad
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I haven't played the game (I know, shame on me...), but I agree with two things: Morgana is awesome, and Ren is freaking HOT (bruised or not). That is all.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Joa wrote:
spoiler[His voice is different from P4A. The reason Igor has a different voice in P5 to begin with is because his original voice actor, Isamu Tanonaka, died in 2010. Fake Igor in P5 is played by Masane Tsukayama. Real Igor near the end of the game has recycled voice clips from 3 and 4.]

spoiler[I see. They seemed to try pretty hard to to imitate the original voice with the impostor, according to my faulty memory anyway. The English fake has a radically different voice so it threw me off. Then again we got two new actors for both the fake and real in English so maybe I'm just suffering from Igor audio overload.]

Tripple-A wrote:
He has two different voices... and shame on you for not playing in japanese Mad

After four episodes of the anime I'm really glad I didn't. Most of the voices don't sound much different between the two languages, but wow does Kamoshida have a terrible Japanese voice. I probably would have rushed through the first arc of the game if I had to hear that voice every time I played.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rosiero

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote
I actually don't like a bunch of the Japanese casting of Persona 5, and that usually never happens to me. No, not even Goku. Apart from Kamoshida sounding like a Saturday morning cartoon villain, we've got Mamoru Miyano being incapable of not sounding like a moron when he's yelling, thereby sucking all drama out of Ryuji's actually legitimate problems, and Nana Mizuki's Ann often sounds more like a student council president. And that's a different character! I don't think they're bad actors by any means, I'm just really confused when I hear those voices coming out of those characters. I originally planned to do my replay of the game with the Japanese audio track, but the more I hear of the Japanese version, the more I'm inclined to keep it on English.

(also i'm glad you've discovered a fetish but do you need to keep bringing it up)
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
After four episodes of the anime I'm really glad I didn't. Most of the voices don't sound much different between the two languages, but wow does Kamoshida have a terrible Japanese voice. I probably would have rushed through the first arc of the game if I had to hear that voice every time I played.

I was surprised when I heard Kamoshida Japanese voice too. They went for a completely different approach in the dub version. Futaba too while we are at it, but not as drastic.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
The show looks pretty decent... until the dungeon stuff begins. Seriously, unless it changes in the next one, the palace stuff was pretty bad. I guess this is hard to replicate in the anime , but the context of what all these things are is quickly said so the excitement of committing the first heist is lost in the show. I guess it is technically "better than the game cut scenes", but not really. Ann and Ryuji's awakening I thought was way better in game with much better direction, in comparison to the janky animation of the show. I'm not sure how anyone who hasn't played the games get anything of value of it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Time Bandit wrote:
I haven't played the game (I know, shame on me...), but I agree with two things: Morgana is awesome,

At least when he's not constantly telling you he's a human, hopelessly fawning over Ann, pissing all over Ryuji, making you go to bed, or angsting at a certain point all of which is why he's considered one of the worst characters in the game.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
So far I am enjoying this adaptation of Persona 5 though I do have a few gripes. Like I really wish they gave Ren dialogue in the interrogation segments (or just in general as it feels like a waste of Jun Fukuyama), the battle scenes feel weird and the scene composition is a little out of order.

On the positive side, I'm glad they expedited most of the events in the game as I did not need multiple lectures (which all feel like the same lecture by the way) on the inner workings of the palace system. Nor do I need multiple scenes to illustrate the fact that Ryuji is a selfish idiot who rarely thinks about his actions spoiler[(which he does develop out of later in the game)]. Here's hoping they leave a couple of other scenes out such as spoiler[(Ren and Ryuji browbeat Anne into posing nude for Yusuke)] or who could forget the time when spoiler[(Ren abandons Ryuji in the middle of Kabukicho as he's being taken away by two terribly written homosexual stereotypes).] I think the visuals are sharp, the soundtrack is great and the voice acting is pretty good.

Now I have actually never played the game all the way through with the english cast (though I have sampled the voices and I think Atlas did a great job on the dub). I am on my second play through with the Japanese cast (chose Futaba the first time, I don't know who I will choose for this round though). While I admire the work Atlus did with dub, I think I'll keep going back to the Japanese cast as I'm more familiar with their previous work and I'm really attached to the way the character's sound in Japanese (especially for Yusuke and Futaba).
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Time Bandit wrote:
I haven't played the game (I know, shame on me...), but I agree with two things: Morgana is awesome,

At least when he's not constantly telling you he's a human, hopelessly fawning over Ann, pissing all over Ryuji, making you go to bed, or angsting at a certain point all of which is why he's considered one of the worst characters in the game.

He's probably my favorite character in the game. Wink Although I do have to admit that much of his character is an exact carbon copy of Teddy/Kuma in Persona 4 who in turn shared some traits with Aigis in Persona 3. To Morgana's credit he isn't as annoying or cowardly as Teddy can be.

Emerje
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Time Bandit wrote:

He's probably my favorite character in the game. Wink Although I do have to admit that much of his character is an exact carbon copy of Teddy/Kuma in Persona 4 who in turn shared some traits with Aigis in Persona 3. To Morgana's credit he isn't as annoying or cowardly as Teddy can be.

Emerje

I think people exaggerated that stuff about Morgana because the same things people list about him are things he doesn't do that often. He does fawn over Ann very occasionally and the game drops it. Him and Ryuji do it to each other, so it's not one-sided.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:33 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

Him and Ryuji do it to each other, so it's not one-sided.

Except on Morgana's part his insulting of Ryuji is much more petty (and repetitious) it's only so many times you can watch Morgana call Ryuji stupid which he even does even during battle for the first couple of parts in the game. It also looks even more ridiculous when Morgana's own intelligence occasionally comes into question which is part of the reason he decides to do what he does later in the story because apparently Ryuji rightfully but unintentionally busting his chops hits a little too close to home.

Emerje wrote:
Although I do have to admit that much of his character is an exact carbon copy of Teddy/Kuma in Persona 4 who in turn shared some traits with Aigis in Persona 3. To Morgana's credit he isn't as annoying or cowardly as Teddy can be.

Emerje

Teddy at the least has reasons for his behavior and he grows our of his his bad habits (except for the bear puns).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2