• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. Anime Announces Franchise's New Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
The sheer volume of "ruined childhood" posts surrounding Tri makes me want to post that one College Humor video about that mindset...
NicoleNippah

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
#859141 wrote:

Appmon is the only thing from Digimon franchise I genuinely love. Adventures and Tamers never got my fancy. Judge me if you want :3
And I'm fully aware it will never happen again but as it had a perfect ending I honestly don't want TOEI to ruin that.

But fading it to oblivion is undeserved.

I totally love Appmon, it made love the Digimon franchise again. It's not the best of the franchise but is definitely my favorite, I was really happy when my Dogatchmon and Globemon figures came in the mail, I really need to get the Gatchmon and Gaiamon figures.

Well now that Tri is over I will probably see it, though I haven't heard good things of it, only memes.

A Tamers sequel could be really cool.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd love a Tamers sequel building off of the new drama CD, but the new BD box didn't sell too hot. :'(

Something to do with 02 is most likely.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I haven't continued watching Tri past episode one, it's kinda underwhelming. Which is too bad, especially since I'm so hooked by each of the promotional posters (which is rare for the usually bland anime posters imo). I would love to buy the prints and hang them on my wall, as if the series being promoted is as good as the posters look, which is unfortunate seeing the comments here.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the last Tri, but my personal theory is that they're avoiding the '02 cast so they can give us a '02 Tri.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Given that in the Tri finale that Gennai mentions spoiler[going after Diaboromon next] it seems obvious to me that Toei is going to make more Tri movies. Even if Tri hasn't been that good, it's a cash cow for Toei and they'd be foolish not to keep making more while Digimon Adventure nostalgia is still a hot seller.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:14 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Given that in the Tri finale that Gennai mentions spoiler[going after Diaboromon next] it seems obvious to me that Toei is going to make more Tri movies.

Now that I've seen it... this. They left the plot thread of spoiler[Gennai still being taken by Yggdrasil] open, and then used spoiler[name drops of Daemon and Diaboromon] to sequel bait. Not to mention, we spoiler[don't get to see the faces of the '02 kids yet], so I think we can assume they're saving them for later.

But if my theory about a '02 sequel is true, then there is at least some hope for a Tamers sequel next! And while I'd be kinda worried about stepping on Tamers' tail, I'm far less worried now because Konaka is actively trying to convince the higher ups to do it and let him write it again. Here's hoping his passion for a Tamers sequel doesn't dry before it can happen.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:47 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping Shout Factory can keep up with the great quality of the Tri Blu Ray releases and that they'll be able to get back most of the 02 kids' dub VAs for the sequel.
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
For those of you who are complaining about how this series ended and how it has plot holes... PLEASE don't be a baby about it!

They're obviously building up for a sequel series, and if you don't like how these characters have started having complicated decisions then clearly you don't know the definition of "growing up", because that's exactly what these characters are doing.

That was basically the point of these movies, and sure they could've done more with the 02 cast but from what we got it was pretty intense.

So let's be mature about this and patiently wait for a sequel series to be announced, because obviously they still plan on telling us more.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
My problem with Tri wasn't in how the characters were written or even really the plot but it executed in a very boring way. The first three movies were all very exciting but part four and five were all almost entirely exposition. The Tri writers simply do not know how to show and not tell and just info dump the whole plot. Movie six was better and it had an emotional ending but they still cheaped out on the 02 characters. The character development was a bit of a mixed bag. Most of the character writing was fine and I actually liked Meiko well enough but Matt was entirely unlikeable for the majority of the series until the final movie where he finally acted like he had compassion and a personality and as far as it concerns me, Tri has completely ruined Gennai's character unless they come up with a really good excuse in the sequel. The animation quality was also all over the place. The first three movies again looked fine but starting in the fourth movie, it took a notable nosedive with a lot of static backgrounds and off model character designs and animation short cuts. The 50 episode Appmon TV series had a lot better animation than Tri. While Tri had it's moments, Appmon in general had stronger character development, better consistent quality writing, and was much more successful in executing darker and more mature themes than Tri.
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Tri has completely ruined Gennai's character unless they come up with a really good excuse in the sequel.

Uh... I think they already did. I mean first of all the previous movies clearly stated this "Gennai" may or may not be a copy/imposter. Second, if you paid attention in the 6th movie you can see one of the stasis pods with a silhouette that looks like Gennai.

I think it's obvious that the "Gennai" the digidestined have been fighting merely looks like Gennai.
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The 50 episode Appmon TV series had a lot better animation than Tri. While Tri had it's moments, Appmon in general had stronger character development, better consistent quality writing, and was much more successful in executing darker and more mature themes than Tri.

Are you sure? Because honestly I found the final arc more rushed than Adventure Tri. 6's ending. At least Adventure Tri. implied it's not really over per se and they're going to give us more sometime soon.

Appmon waited until the final story arc for our characters to FINALLY have their Appmon digivolve to their maximum level forms, contrary to the traditional "introduce the mega levels 3/4 in" which usually gave our heroes time to get used to those new forms. But they introduce their fully evolved forms during the final battle... and after said final battle was over, the series ends. Meaning we're NEVER going to have them get used to their new forms.

Even the Tri movies kept the tradition of having our characters reach their maximum potential as the movies went on.

Besides, at least Tri never had one of their teammates keep a secret from them until the last arc and they barely address how much he betrayed their trust. I'm looking at you Offmon!

At least Tri had our heroes scorn Hackmon (in a "You've got some nerve coming here" sort of way) when he introduced himself.
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I can't wait to see what the new project is.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh joy. What is Toei going to screw up next? Let's get that Tamers sequel. That was a well made series with a solid ending. Gotta be a way they can screw that up Anime hyper.

Tri wasn't a total mess, but it wasn't good either. It was just mediocre. The nostalgia carried it through the first few movies, but over years that isn't going to hold it up. The last movie was more "thank god this is over" than a thrilling conclusion.

It's going to be something I'll quickly forget about. A fairly unnecessary/underwhelming sequel that just didn't need to be made. I just hope we don't continue straight up with this group in whatever this next project is. Enough of the garbage villain these movies had "look at me I'm laughing because I'm evil and evil laughs, mwahaha."
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
NCfanboy1 wrote:

Uh... I think they already did. I mean first of all the previous movies clearly stated this "Gennai" may or may not be a copy/imposter. Second, if you paid attention in the 6th movie you can see one of the stasis pods with a silhouette that looks like Gennai.

I think it's obvious that the "Gennai" the digidestined have been fighting merely looks like Gennai.
None of the previous movies stated Gennai was an imposter. It was hinted at but it was also just as likely Gennai was being controlled by the dark spore he was infected by in Adventure which was the prevailing fan theory. Part 6 just pulled the whole Gennai is a clone thing out of thin air.

Quote:
Appmon waited until the final story arc for our characters to FINALLY have their Appmon digivolve to their maximum level forms, contrary to the traditional "introduce the mega levels 3/4 in" which usually gave our heroes time to get used to those new forms. But they introduce their fully evolved forms during the final battle... and after said final battle was over, the series ends. Meaning we're NEVER going to have them get used to their new forms.
That's what virtually every Digimon series have ever done with the evolution. Every series has always had a last minute ultra powered up evolution like that. Adventure did it with MagnaAngemon and Omnimon, 02 did it with Imperialdramon Pallidin mode, Tamers did it with Gallantmon Crismon mode, and even Tri did it with Omnimon Merciful Mode and MagnaDramon.

Quote:
Besides, at least Tri never had one of their teammates keep a secret from them until the last arc and they barely address how much he betrayed their trust. I'm looking at you Offmon!

At least Tri had our heroes scorn Hackmon (in a "You've got some nerve coming here" sort of way) when he introduced himself.
That's how effective plot twists are supposed to be written. You don't spell out your plot twist right away because that's not effective writing. And Tri did in fact have Daigo and Maki keeping the fate of the 02 kids a secret from them yet the Adventure kids never held it against Daigo from lying to them the whole time about their fate. Frankly the Appmon kids showed much more concern for Yuujin and Offmon than the Adventure kids did for the 02 kids who didn't even bother to try and contact Ken's parents or anything to let them know about their son being missing and the Adventure kids barely talked about the 02 kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3